Google Extends Free Calling Through 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google's Product Manager Mayur Kamat made a blog post today saying the company will be extending its free calls Gmail feature through 2013.

Many of you call phones from Gmail to easily connect with friends and family. If you're in the US and Canada, you'll continue to be able to make free domestic calls through 2013. Plus, in most countries, you can still call the rest of the world from Gmail at insanely low rates.

I wasn't aware of this but wouldn't it directly compete against their Google Voice product?

use this as my dedicated home phone free thanks to google since mid 2010

That's great news - Last year I ported my landline # to this and canceled my POTS.

$40 for an Obi device
$10 for a tracfone (had to port the landline to it first)
$20 to port from the tracfone to google

Now I have free unlimited domestic calls. Saves me over $30 / month so I made all that back in two months.

nice.

Looks like google is trying to destroy skype.
Down with skype.
I looked at skype, and they don't even give you a free forwarding number.

I always use my google number as a proxy.

That's great news - Last year I ported my landline # to this and canceled my POTS.

$40 for an Obi device
$10 for a tracfone (had to port the landline to it first)
$20 to port from the tracfone to google

Now I have free unlimited domestic calls. Saves me over $30 / month so I made all that back in two months.

That's Awesome man.stick to ma bell:D

use this as my dedicated home phone free thanks to google since mid 2010

Ditto. I just need to figure out QOS on my ASUS Black Night Router for my OBI to not stutter and drop packets, QOS on the ASUS firmware seems retarded.

What the phone rings, have to stop all downloads, Netflix etc.

Ditto. I just need to figure out QOS on my ASUS Black Night Router for my OBI to not stutter and drop packets, QOS on the ASUS firmware seems retarded.

What the phone rings, have to stop all downloads, Netflix etc.
I've heard that since gmail doesn't use specific ports or protocols your QOS options are very limited. Hopefully your router allows you to prioritize a specific ethernet port over the others. We let 95% of the calls to our OBI go to voicemail since everyone we know calls us on our cell phones. You can also set the calls to forward to (or simultaneously ring on) your cell phone.

I've been an Obi user since it hit the market. I ditched Skype, which I had been using for years, and I'll never look back. Come on! Free phone service!

This would be really awesome if Google wasn't collecting who you call and saving it against your overall Google profile so it can go all Lester the Molester on you later. Thanks, but no thanks, I don't need to call people anyhow.

Back