Microsoft Announces More Retail Locations

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the rumors we heard last month were true. Microsoft is opening more retail locations in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Utah and Missouri.

It’s been a momentous year for the Microsoft retail stores. We opened 51 new Full-line and Specialty stores, including our first international stores in Edmonton, Burnaby, Vancouver and Toronto, Canada in just the last year. We have always said that we will adjust our strategy, and open additional stores to deliver the choice, value and service our Microsoft customers have come to expect.

It looks like the rumors we heard last month were true. Microsoft is opening more retail locations in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Utah and Missouri.

So... let me get this straight...

Sales of Windows OS are down...

Sales of Windows RT are pathetic...

Sales of Surface were never up to begin with...

So the solution is to... Open More Retail Stores and Compete directly with existing retail supply chains?

How... exactly... is this a good idea?

So the solution is to... Open More Retail Stores and Compete directly with existing retail supply chains?

They're Applefying themselves. It's a logical step in the Applification process.

Step 1 - make a mobile OS.

Step 2 - don't say a word to your OEMs until you launch it.

Step 3 - directly compete with your OEMs.

Step 4 - announce you're expanding your products' retail presence.

Step 5 - open your own retail stores

Step 6 - hope people actually buy into the nonsense

Step 7 - profit.

the problem MS is having is that retail outlets wont give them any chance to show off their product properly. Sometimes they only way to solve this is to have your own stores. The surface tablet is pretty cool, people have to admit that, but at best buy its burried in a 16 inch space practically touching other tablets and the keyboard is stolen at half the stores you go to and they dont even have both keyboards.

So naturally MS will attempt to fight this. There are hundreds maybe thousands of products that were excellent and failed due to lack of exposure, presentation and other factors that had nothing to do with the product. Go into the same store and look at the apple display, its HUGE for just a couple devices. The apple display in my best buy has about 10 products and it takes up an area that about 50 other devices take up. Everything there is always working, half the stuff is broken in the PC section. You cant even demo it due to dead batteries, stolen or broken parts. And the employees dont know anything, they cant tell you the difference between anything or the services, they can only say, you gotta get the geeksquad protection.

Anyone who knows about audio knows how quickly these issues have broken or made products with very different qualities.

The OEMs only have themself to blame they royally screwed up everything for decades and never helped MS build so eventually MS was going to need to force them to better compete.

So, basically we're going to see Acer, Dell, and other get into the Linux Act.

If Nvidia is not the 'chosen one' for graphics, they better smarten up too.

So, basically we're going to see Acer, Dell, and other get into the Linux Act.

If Nvidia is not the 'chosen one' for graphics, they better smarten up too.

The only thing those OEM's are going to do is better compete with each other over windows based systems.

They might try but just like every other time they will fail. The only possible linux / new OS competitor is in a couple years google might start to make a big push when they hit 85 ish percent of the mobile market.

Apparently there's a Microsoft store not far from me. Who knew?

I suppose this means with they finally give up on the Surface, there's a chance I can pick one up on the cheap at the store lol.

The USPO needs a way to file objections to patents online. Crowdsource the vetting process and keep this kind of weirdness from happening.

Apparently there's a Microsoft store not far from me. Who knew?

I suppose this means with they finally give up on the Surface, there's a chance I can pick one up on the cheap at the store lol.

The one in phoenix is constantly busy, at least the times I've gone in. The stores are honestly pretty cool. They do a good job of show casing but I think they do need to put more out there. Foot traffic in reality still makes up a huge portion of the buyers (brick&motor visitors) it would do a lot of good for them to make these faster, instead of gradually.

It sems to have worked for Apple....

'Cept Apple did it without rolling out the cancer that is Metro. Minor difference.

The Windows 8 that lives underneath Metro is like the fat chick with a great personality: it exists but no one can see it.

'Cept Apple did it without rolling out the cancer that is Metro. Minor difference.

The Windows 8 that lives underneath Metro is like the fat chick with a great personality: it exists but no one can see it.

I liked it before metro, then they just ruined it :( made a great effort to try and like it as well, but it just didn't seem appropriate with what i was doing

I liked it before metro, then they just ruined it :( made a great effort to try and like it as well, but it just didn't seem appropriate with what i was doing

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to change what you're doing to fit in to the MS system. :rolleyes:

Am I wrong in thinking there is an app that makes Metro go away and bring back the normal desktop/start menu?

Am I wrong in thinking there is an app that makes Metro go away and bring back the normal desktop/start menu?

Yea it's called Classic Shell, Startisback or any one of the other countless ones ;).

It worked for Best Buy.

Or.. wait. Did it?

I guess you have insider knowledge of detailed Q4 results of the company? Otherwise this is just assumptions... :rolleyes:

I guess you have insider knowledge of detailed Q4 results of the company? Otherwise this is just assumptions... :rolleyes:

Its called inference by proxy aka reading between the lines. When every third party reseller is noting anywhere from "disappointing" to "abysmal" for Win8 branded hardware and the econo-priced Win8 upgrade software itself, you don't need a crystal ball.

It sems to have worked for Apple....

Apple has a fan base of mindless drones who will buy anything with the Apple logo on it because it's trendy. Microsoft doesn't have that type of fan base. Most people view Microsoft as a necessary evil or go with their products believing that they have little choice in the matter. Some do it simply because there isn't a better or more universal option.

But few people foam at the mouth to acquire the latest anything from Microsoft. Nothing about their products are that compelling.

Sounds like a mindless drone. :p

Either that or they are just being realistic. Even if I hated Windows I wouldn't have a more compelling option as a gamer. At best I'd be able to use Linux or a Mac only part time.

Microsoft is going to go bankrupt trying to re-invent itself as Microapplesoft.

Microsoft is going to go bankrupt trying to re-invent itself as Microapplesoft.

I seriously doubt they are going anywhere, could you imagine a world where Microsoft just up and vanished overnight?

There would be chaos.

I seriously doubt they are going anywhere, could you imagine a world where Microsoft just up and vanished overnight?

There would be chaos.

Bankruptcy doesn't equal disappearing. Look at the auto companies.
However, perhaps I should have said "waste huge sums of money instead."

Back