India Will Soon Have Its 'Own' Operating System

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to reports, India is working on its own operating system, already dedicating 18 months of time to its build with the work of 150 engineers. Little is known at this point about the new OS other than the name 'Indian Operating System'. The exact logic behind this move to create a proprietary private system is still somewhat a mystery.

He added that these (the so-called foreign operating systems) tend to compromise cyber safety and are susceptible to worms and other security issues. Which is why, he claims, it is necessary for India to build its own OS.

TBH, I think governments should do something like this to keep themselves from getting hacked.... but if they did they would be putting a whole lot of money into it because everything will probably need to imported into it or have something like Wine to run programs they need but their system doesn't support.

I remember reading something about China doing this too by building a *nix OS. I think it was called Red Flag Linux or something and you can even download a copy, though I'm not sure why you'd wanna. Since India's planning on doing this in like 18 months, it's probably just gonna be a customized Linux too.

I can make any system one hundred percent bullet proof, don't connect it to the internet.

Oh you want to be able to have govt systems talk to each other? You want human beings to use your systems? Than no matter what you do it will not ever be safe.

This is the govt throwing rupee's at a non-problem.

If they're that concerned get a good distro of linux and train the personnel using the system.

I remember reading something about China doing this too by building a *nix OS. I think it was called Red Flag Linux or something and you can even download a copy, though I'm not sure why you'd wanna. Since India's planning on doing this in like 18 months, it's probably just gonna be a customized Linux too.

But what did you think when you read the article and it stated "DRDO's Director-General VK Saraswat suggests that India is very dependent on foreign operating systems, such as Windows and Linux."

But what did you think when you read the article and it stated "DRDO's Director-General VK Saraswat suggests that India is very dependent on foreign operating systems, such as Windows and Linux."

I didn't read it. I'm not literate. :p

I suspect that the OS is built on top of Linux. Who has the wither all these days to robustly code and test a really new OS these days? India claims its their own because they don't want to share any new code. You know, what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine.

so they want an OS that is perfectly secure? did anyone tell them that a perfectly secure OS is only theoretical?

Well, its probably protectionism. But considering Microsoft's practices, I don't blame them.

To stay current they're going to have to pay again to Microsoft for functionality most of their businesses won't use.

Performance enhancements use to be considered incremental. The store, apps, and the new interface which only becomes tolerable with new hardware, are things businesses probably don't see themselves benefiting from.

Love their logic. Because clearly a bunch of OS coding amateurs are going to make an OS that is more secure than something coded by people who have decades of experience....lol. hope they don't hire any of the code "engineers" I had to work with for years. They will end up 2 years behind and still submit something that had to be completely thrown out.

Love their logic. Because clearly a bunch of OS coding amateurs are going to make an OS that is more secure than something coded by people who have decades of experience....lol. hope they don't hire any of the code "engineers" I had to work with for years. They will end up 2 years behind and still submit something that had to be completely thrown out.

But if they still get paid for it in the end don't they win the game regardless? Hate the game not the players and all that. I wish I could get paid to make software that doesn't work. It'll have to wait I guess.

I can understand them not wanting to be controlled by MS, or trusting MS. But it makes no sense to create a brand new OS when there's Linux or FreeBSD that can do everything they want.

"We're so different we're all just the same" - Everyone that rolls their own Linux thinking they are different

Given the timeframe they mention, I'd be quite certain it is a derivative of *BSD or linux. Or they're in for a horrendous shock regarding how much work it is to make a full featured modern OS.

has India ever made anything worth using?

When I hear "india", all I think about is incomprehensible accents and crappy Tata cars

But if they still get paid for it in the end don't they win the game regardless? Hate the game not the players and all that. I wish I could get paid to make software that doesn't work. It'll have to wait I guess.
In our case, we were smart. No payment until a production ready product it's delivered that passes Qa.

I'd wager they're going to do what the city council of Munich did with their LiMux distribution. It would a more wiser approach as well.

another linux distro :rolleyes:

^this

logo+%282%29.png

so lets see, out of the blue without any experience they will develop their own OS because of vulnerabilities, well hello india, no software is 100% secure, the money is on how fast and efficient you can patch your box. MS pretty much is the better guy when it comes to this. i'd say Linux on second, OSX last

I wonder what the reaction would be if Microsoft were a Chinese corporation and we heard that the US wanted to develop it's own OS to sever it's reliance upon a Chinese product.

Then India would need contract out IT Tech support from North America so to frustrate and confuse their India OS users... :)

Quick, everyone go buy some Apple stock while it's down! I smell an impending lawsuit victory over the name "ios."

Perhaps they can name it "We have highest percentage of poor people in the world but instead lets focus on things like having our own operating system! Fuck the poor!"

Its long I know but at least its accurate :cool:

They can do whatever they want, as long as it somehow involves Aishwarya Rai.

(I'm dittoheading on the theory that this will be some sort of *nix variant, though, which isn't a bad thing.)

If this is anything like the rest of India's military procurement programs, the end result will be an OS cobbled with code/apps and other bits and pieces from Windows, UNIX, Linux, BSD, and OSX that'll be clunky, hard to use, at least ten years out of date, and just as insecure.

Back