No Link Between Video Games And Murder

HardOCP News

[H] News
While it is painfully obvious to most people there is no link to video games and violence, it doesn't hurt to have solid data like this on your side when the discussion pops up.

But it turns out that the data just doesn’t support this connection. Looking at the world’s 10 largest video game markets yields no evident, statistical correlation between video game consumption and gun-related killings.

The failed parents will always try to blame something or someone other than themselves...

Wow, that's a scary chart. I totally support Americans using more pointy things and cars to kill each other and it would be awesome since lots of Americans drive around in gigantic vehicles that would be great for homocides, but are too often mistaken as status symbols so they never get used for their intended purpose.

kind of a bs conclusion.

Could be worded differently and show the US has a major issue with gun murders, which we actually do.

Video games aren't causal, but plotting a chart and drawing a line doesn't make research accurate.

Are you telling me that little shitkicker on Xbox live I killed in MW3 isn't actually dead?

de sensitization has to have a impact...over time..

but there are too many inputs to single out a specific.. games, movies, tv, culture in general..

the world is increasingly stressed out... its only going to increase regardless of central planner bs attempts to control it...

I think this is a disengenius study (if you can call graphing data a study) ... I would agree that video games don't "cause" violence ... however, there have been studies that indicate violent media does desensitize people to violence and that games in particular can cause the body to produce endorphins and highten a person's sense of agitation ...

that isn't a bad thing and it doesn't justify violence committed by people, but it does indicate that violent games and media might be dangerous for certain people with health issues (physical or mental) that would be affected by those games and media ... these kinds of articles are kind of useless since if you are going to cherry pick your data and thesis you are likely going to be able to prove almost any hypothesis ;)

In my research I find there's a 100% link to people and violence.

Where's my goddamn research grant?

I think this is a disengenius study...

It isn't a study to begin with and so I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
That being said, I don't think we need graphs and studies to tell us something we're all well aware of. Human beings are impressionable, influenciable, moldable, changing and adaptive. And the issue of long-term pattern exposure is an open and shut case on its effects on human behavior. Simply put, if we feed or nourish a need, it will grow. And no amount of denial can change that.

The simple fact of it is, that all human beings are subject to deviance. It is out nature. :)

If it's not video games, it's Marilyn Manson/Eminem/Judas Priest/etc. If it's not them, it's Natural Born Killers/Pulp Fiction/The Matrix/etc. If it's not them, it's Catcher in the Rye, or it's comic books, or it's a radio show, or...

WHATEVER, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS.

Here's a clue: it's not society, it's not culture, it's not a weapon. It's a human being who chose to pick up something that could hurt someone, and to hurt someone with it. Wake the fuck up to two facts.

1. Some people will always find a reason and a means to do something horrible.
2. Those horrible things are sometimes going to happen, and even if you take away every freedom we have, they will still sometimes happen.

Accept it, stop trying to restrict people's freedoms in a useless attempt to stop these things happening, and stop paying attention to the media that plays these things up like it's the end of the world.

If it's not video games, it's Marilyn Manson/Eminem/Judas Priest/etc. If it's not them, it's Natural Born Killers/Pulp Fiction/The Matrix/etc. If it's not them, it's Catcher in the Rye, or it's comic books, or it's a radio show, or...

Here's a clue: it's not society, it's not culture, it's not a weapon. It's a human being who chose to pick up something that could hurt someone, and to hurt someone with it. Wake the fuck up to two facts.

2. Those horrible things are sometimes going to happen, and even if you take away every freedom we have, they will still sometimes happen.

Accept it, stop trying to restrict people's freedoms in a useless attempt to stop these things happening, and stop paying attention to the media that plays these things up like it's the end of the world.

*cough cough* and religion.

wow.. look in the mirror d00d..

hopefully that was /sarc.. because you illustrated the point fantastically...

But but but....Fox News told me that if I played video games at all I would turn into a mass murderer. I call shenanigans on this "research!"

Wow ... what a violent outburst ... I hope you haven't been playing too many violent video games :D :p

*cough cough* and religion.

...and politics...and national identity...and etc etc...

My point is that none of that shit really matters until a person picks up a weapon and decides to fuck shit up. At that moment, there are a million other assholes who have something in common with this person who aren't picking up weapons and fucking shit up.

Unless that particular factor involves something telling this person "pick up a weapon and go fuck shit up IRL, brah", we need to stop acting like inanimate or imaginary objects are responsible for the decisions a person in real life made.

Forum chaos gods are pleased by the inclusion of society, culture, government, and religion in this thread.

Forum chaos gods are pleased by the inclusion of society, culture, government, and religion in this thread.

Offered up to the Mighty Lords of the Planes:

471-107731.png

All praise.

I made "and religion" small so God doesn't see it. I don't want to get struck by lightning. Shh!

Wow ... what a violent outburst ... I hope you haven't been playing too many violent video games :D :p
Nah he's just American :D If guns don't kill people, people kill people, and Americans are killing the most people, the natural conclusion is it's Americans that kill people, Stilleto is just demonstrating "why" :D
It's becoming a bit of a broken record now. Can't we have heated arguments about something new.

Besides, no one has mentioned the important statistic that fantails owners are known to have violent tendancies. Now IMO this has nothing to do with fantails inciting their owners to violence, rather those with a mentality that would lead them to fantails have a propensity for violence.

So what we're getting at here, is that I can continue to have lockers full of guns in my basement and continue to play my violent games? Good. Nothing new.

Americans are only #27th in killing people if we're talking murders-per-100k residents.

The scary part about this incident is not so much that it happened (which is horrific in itself), but to watch US society deal with it by pointing at basically anything they don't like. Guns, video games, movies, etc etc etc.

The US seems totally incapable of dealing with any of it's problems. The hysteria that grips people is really something to behold and guarantees that this stuff will continue to happen.

So what we're getting at here, is that I can continue to have lockers full of guns in my basement and continue to play my violent games?

For now. Until someone offers up the "Making Americans Feel Understood Concerning Killings Act of 2013".

Then you'll be a mafucka, yo.

Americans are only #27th in killing people if we're talking murders-per-100k residents.

Well I'm sure if you remove all the terrorist/middle east, lawless, uncivilized 3rd world countries from that list, that ranking probably jumps to #1. Where else do you hear so frequently about people just going postal.

Well I'm sure if you remove all the terrorist/middle east, lawless, uncivilized 3rd world countries from that list, that ranking probably jumps to #1. Where else do you hear so frequently about people just going postal.

Sorry, it was 26th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20759139

Not exactly a statistic to brag about. In fact, that's pretty depressing, tbqh. NYC is one of the world's safest big cities and has very strict gun control laws, but even here we still face the issues faced by guns spilling over into our boroughs via the black market.

Personally I feel that those who want loose gun laws can go tote their guns all they please so long as you keep it within your borders. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case at all. Nationwide, only 40% of guns sold at gun shops are done with a background check. 40% don't require a check! Nearly half the damn guns in this country could end up in Osama Bin Laden's hands and we wouldn't even know about it. Whichever side of the argument you fall on here, I'm pretty damn certain that an overwhelming majority of Americans feel that at least we should do some thorough background checks. Hell, you've got to take a piss test to work at a fucking Wal-Mart

The easy accessibility of guns in this country certainly makes it easier for someone to go ahead and decide they want to go and kill a bunch of people for no reason.

Now I know there's going to be a bunch of NRA 2nd amendment honkeys running in here crying foul over that statement but if the tard didn't have access to guns how was he going to run into a school and kill 26 innocent people? That along with Colorado batman movie, Arizona Gabby Giffords, Indian temple in Wisconsin, Va Tech kron chong il dude...would not have happened. Agreed?

Personally I feel that those who want loose gun laws can go tote their guns all they please so long as you keep it within your borders. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case at all. Nationwide, only 40% of guns sold at gun shops are done with a background check. 40% don't require a check! Nearly half the damn guns in this country could end up in Osama Bin Laden's hands and we wouldn't even know about it. Whichever side of the argument you fall on here, I'm pretty damn certain that an overwhelming majority of Americans feel that at least we should do some thorough background checks. Hell, you've got to take a piss test to work at a fucking Wal-Mart

The Virginia Tech shooter passed a background check without issue. The Columbine killers got their weapons from someone who passed a background check, then broke the law and gave the weapons to them. The solution does not lie in making it harder for law-abiding citizens to purchase weapons.

Now I know there's going to be a bunch of NRA 2nd amendment honkeys running in here crying foul over that statement but if the tard didn't have access to guns how was he going to run into a school and kill 26 innocent people? That along with Colorado batman movie, Arizona Gabby Giffords, Indian temple in Wisconsin, Va Tech kron chong il dude...would not have happened. Agreed?

You can make that point all you want, but it's a stupid point. Of course if they didn't have access to guns, they wouldn't have had them to use. However, anyone who really wants a gun can get one if they want it, just like they can get drugs or anything else on the black market. As I noted, the background checks didn't stop the VA Tech shooter, or the Columbine killers. They'll find a way if they're determined to kill people. The answer doesn't lie in putting up more roadblocks for everyone else. The answer lies in having some sort of defense in these "gun free zones"(that stop being gun free when one person ignores the sign), like an armed police officer at a school. Don't pretend that you can prevent a psychopath from getting the tools to do what they want. Focus on the fact that you CAN prepare for the worst and be ready to react, rather than overreact after the fact.

The easy accessibility of guns in this country certainly makes it easier for someone to go ahead and decide they want to go and kill a bunch of people for no reason.

I hate how it takes 26 people to die, 20 of them young children, for people to stand up and state their opinions, regardless of what side of the coin they're on. What I will say, though, is that it also makes it increasingly more difficult to rationally tackle an issue like this when both sides, or one side, is infuriated by the event. It's difficult to think clearly when you're angry and you act on impulse - it's just not a smart way to pass legislation. Unfortunately, people and politicians are fucking retards and will only consider such actions when it slaps them across the face. It's paradoxical and ferries to the forefront human apathy, ignorance and flat out stupidity.

What should happen - and I feel this without reasonable doubt - is that we should at least demand background checks on every single weapon sold in this country. If we're willing to pass something like the Patriot Act and restrict our freedoms to that drastic an extent as a guttural response to enacting a surveillance program to defend ourselves from potential terrorist attacks, we should at least make sure those same terrorists and lunatics don't get their hands on weapons as well.

I think we're all past the point where we're disappointed with the US government, but, personally, I'm most disappointed in the idiots that live in this country above all else.

The Virginia Tech shooter passed a background check without issue. The Columbine killers got their weapons from someone who passed a background check, then broke the law and gave the weapons to them. The solution does not lie in making it harder for law-abiding citizens to purchase weapons.

So long as there are weapons to be had you'll have these types of horrible incidents, but that has nothing to do with why ~40% of guns sold require absolutely no background check. None at all. I agree with you, crazy people will kill others, but what that has to do with making people we KNOW are crazy go through a background check (which will almost certainly stop them from accessing a weapon easily), I have no idea. That's the sort of law that wouldn't hurt anybody but those who shouldn't have weapons anyway. How in the hell would anybody be against that?

You can make that point all you want, but it's a stupid point. Of course if they didn't have access to guns, they wouldn't have had them to use. However, anyone who really wants a gun can get one if they want it, just like they can get drugs or anything else on the black market. As I noted, the background checks didn't stop the VA Tech shooter, or the Columbine killers. They'll find a way if they're determined to kill people. The answer doesn't lie in putting up more roadblocks for everyone else. The answer lies in having some sort of defense in these "gun free zones"(that stop being gun free when one person ignores the sign), like an armed police officer at a school. Don't pretend that you can prevent a psychopath from getting the tools to do what they want. Focus on the fact that you CAN prepare for the worst and be ready to react, rather than overreact after the fact.

Stupid point you say, but logical and valid. You can kill many people with guns very easily. Make it harder or impossible to get guns and you reduce the chances of that occurring.

An armed officer is most likely nothing but the first dead person in a situation like this.

Without wading into the debate itself, I'd like to point out an observation I've made: Gun control advocates are their own worst nightmare.

1) They rarely know anything about the guns they are talking about. Even a casual player of first person shooters can tell you the difference between semi and full automatic.

I've read several articles that imply the writer doesn't understand a handgun can be semi-automatic.

2) They know nothing about wearing a bullet-proof vest, thinking it's a magic shield when the reality is getting shot while wearing one has been described as getting hit with a sledge hammer.

3) The most vocal gun control advocates/representatives (Bloomberg, Feinstein, etc) come across as hypocrites (Feinstein) or freedom snatchers like Bloomberg. They have extremely unlikable representatives.

4) Whenever they call for more gun-control, the most extreme members come out and start mentioning bans, confiscation, etc which just leads to more gun buying. The stores are getting cleaned out yet again after this incident.

5) They also strike me as very violent themselves, see the recent threats against the NRA and it's members. This doesn't really help their image.

6) The language they use is also disturbing. One article I am reading is trying to tie the NRA to "baby coffins" in a not-so-subtle way. Again, no friends are made here.

7) They seem totally unwilling to address anything but gun-control to resolve the issues. It's the first thing they go to. Even though it's obvious to even a casual observer that this country has severe cultural and social problems that are not addressed in any way, shape or form.

People forget that kids used to bring their guns to school to shoot and this stuff never happened. Check the basements of some older NYC schools if you want proof.

I would not be surprised (maybe this is a conspiracy theory) if Feinstein is on the "gun lobby's" payroll as she seems to sell more guns than any salesman possibly can.

Gun Control advocates need a serious PR makeover.

I hate how it takes 26 people to die, 20 of them young children, for people to stand up and state their opinions, regardless of what side of the coin they're on. What I will say, though, is that it also makes it increasingly more difficult to rationally tackle an issue like this when both sides, or one side, is infuriated by the event. It's difficult to think clearly when you're angry and you act on impulse - it's just not a smart way to pass legislation. Unfortunately, people and politicians are fucking retards and will only consider such actions when it slaps them across the face. It's paradoxical and ferries to the forefront human apathy, ignorance and flat out stupidity.

What should happen - and I feel this without reasonable doubt - is that we should at least demand background checks on every single weapon sold in this country. If we're willing to pass something like the Patriot Act and restrict our freedoms to that drastic an extent as a guttural response to enacting a surveillance program to defend ourselves from potential terrorist attacks, we should at least make sure those same terrorists and lunatics don't get their hands on weapons as well.

I think we're all past the point where we're disappointed with the US government, but, personally, I'm most disappointed in the idiots that live in this country above all else.

You're wrong on one point..without the multitude of incidents like this unfortunately occurring, all you would have is groups like the NRA thumbing their noses at the government without any change. Acting on impulse is the only way that any legislation for this would even stand a chance on passing, with the way these gun groups have a stranglehold on the government.

Back