Census To Offer Internet Option

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Census Bureau will soon be offering an online option in addition to the old style written forms and in-person visits.

The new online option will supplement the traditional census mail-out operation. It is a major shift for the agency, which has relied almost exclusively on paper forms since 1970 but is now moving toward a more Internet-based system after spending a record $13 billion on the 2010 census.

Canada has been using an internet-based census option for at least the last two go-rounds.

All those part time Census workers are going to be pissed....

It is a major shift for the agency, which has relied almost exclusively on paper forms since 1970 but is now moving toward a more Internet-based system after spending a record $13 billion on the 2010 census.
And who ever said that the government wasn't innovative and cost effective?

Of course that means that the administration in power won't be spend vast sums of our money on pointless "busy work" like this to create temporary jobs.

But if anyone asks, I'm a fourteen year old Apache squaw.

how do you spend $13b on information about 308,745,538 people? Thats $42.10 each person...

I bet quite a bit of that goes towards tracking down people that don't live in a permanent residence or don't send their census paper in.

They physically send out people to try to track down every last one of these people. It takes quite a bit of time.

You can spend a whole day doing this and sometimes come back with only 3 or 4 filled out papers. You are also required to verify and correct maps for the places you go.

I did temporary census work for the 2010 census and was one of those that was sent out to try to track down these people.

I refuse to answer the "American Community Survey". It is not the government's business how much I spent on my electricity bill or what kind of toilets I use. My medical records are most certainly not the government's business.

It is a bluff. They cannot, constitutionally, force you to answer the survey. They will threaten you with fines and arrests but in truth, no one has had this happen because it would allow for a court challenge and thus, the striking down of this ridiculous tripe as unconstitutional.

I refuse to answer the "American Community Survey". It is not the government's business how much I spent on my electricity bill or what kind of toilets I use. My medical records are most certainly not the government's business.

It is a bluff. They cannot, constitutionally, force you to answer the survey. They will threaten you with fines and arrests but in truth, no one has had this happen because it would allow for a court challenge and thus, the striking down of this ridiculous tripe as unconstitutional.

Even when people go out to find those who don't send it in in the first place, they do not try to talk you into taking the survey. Person says they don't want to do it, it just gets marked off the list.

In any case, getting accurate numbers supposedly does have a slight impact on how many tax dollars get returned to the state.

And no, I don't really agree with the census in the first place, or about 99% of taxes for that matter. Just trying to give a little bit of information on the whole census process as I "understand" it.

I answer the "How many people live at this address" question and send it in.

Even when people go out to find those who don't send it in in the first place, they do not try to talk you into taking the survey. Person says they don't want to do it, it just gets marked off the list.

In any case, getting accurate numbers supposedly does have a slight impact on how many tax dollars get returned to the state.

And no, I don't really agree with the census in the first place, or about 99% of taxes for that matter. Just trying to give a little bit of information on the whole census process as I "understand" it.

One of the biggest parts of the census results is determining districts for the House of Representatives. I know Fort Worth area I think got a new district after this last census.

With all the illegal aliens counted, it's even less! :cool:
We just need to get those extraterrestrial "Predators" to guard our home depot parking lots. Dibs on the movie rights to Illegal-Aliens vs Predators.

Back