Senate Takes Step Toward Banning Stalking Software

HardOCP News

[H] News
With all the problems in our country finally solved, our elected officials have now focused on what really matters to Americans most...stalking apps.

A loophole that permits software companies to sell cyberstalking apps that operate secretly on cellphones could soon be closed by Congress. The software is popular among jealous wives or husbands because it can continuously track the whereabouts of a spouse.

Wait they going to ban private tracking apps so wives can't track husbands but not add tracking bullshit.

Does this include the NSA's Echelon system that runs on software? How about the FBI's Carnivore system and successor NarusInsight? Does this almost include the DHS's Einstein system?

I highly doubt it. Once more government hates competition unless they are secretly in cahoots with others feeding them intelligence.

They're going to ban CarierIQ and all other handset/carrier/vendor installed tracking software?

The gov't is proposing banning device tracking apps? They are just trying to make sure another competing app is not taking all of their tracking apps bandwidth.

Im just gonna have to go back to doing it the manual way..

Anyone have an old beat up full size van for sale?

Imagine if the government was all robot/AI based. This is where a glitch would come into affect, and they would actually shut down themselves completely. Nobody would know how to turn it back on, nor would they even want to.

Somehow I think someone among these officials got to be on the receiving end of this stuff, and that's the real reason for the inspiration to ban it.

If its my phone -- I'll put all the spy tools I want on it.

What if my wife or girlfriend is a cheating whore? I should be able to know these things...

on a serious note -- the only spying the government approves of, is the kind they do for themselves. Nothing has changed in the past 50 years the government doesn't give a rats ass about you.

i like how the first ten-ish responses are "does that mean they're banning ____________"

So...the senate members don't know how to secure/lock/use/etc their smartphones so they're just passing a law making it illegal for their spouses to know they're just as much a POS to them as to the people of the nation? Got it!

Just glad they're working on the hard problems facing the nation.

If it is MY phone, I will install whatever the hell I want on it. The statist pigs need to back off and mind their own business.

Sounds like some Senators got by their wives caught doing stuff they shouldn't have using software like this, so now they are going to ban it :p

They going to ban internet browsers (Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Netscape, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome, etc)? And how are they going to regulate Linux users? :D

Back