HAWKEN Beta Now Open

HardOCP News

[H] News
The HAWKEN open beta is now live. Hit the link to download the game and get started.

It's official, mech pilots! December 12 has arrived and the HAWKEN Open Beta is live! Thanks to our hardworking teams, and to the helpful feedback from our Alpha and Closed Beta testers, HAWKEN looks and plays great. We couldn't be more proud, and this is only the beginning.

1) Earning in-game currency is super slow compared to other F2P games

2) There's no impact in the audio, maybe on purpose to make it more simulation'y

3) It gets better the more choices people have in mechs, equipment, specs, builds

I tried playing this when the first (second?) open beta was around. It would only recognize my integrated HD4000 and ran like butt on it. Tried to force it to the nvidia card and it would just crash. Sad.

Graphics are unimpressive, colors seemed washed out, was getting only 40-50 fps. Interface kinda clunky shift key didn't work to boost had to use a.

i was kind of hyped for this game, the gameplay vids looked cool, the visual style was different and interesting but once i played closed beta i wasn't really into it. the HUD was too much in the way, granted i didnt look for a way to turn it off, and the gameplay wasnt all that interesting as i had hoped, not planning on going back to it

The game itself is OK, but when you get down to it, Hawken is rather shallow. It's just another F2P PvP slaughter-fest, with more jumping than a CounterStrike match.

For those of you having problems with low fps, go into power management and force your CPU to run at 100% all the time.

This one thing brought my frames in game from 8-15fps up to 90fps steady.

There is some bug in the game that is not kicking the processor to run at the correct speed.

Playing the closed beta, my constant reaction was; meh.

Nothing has any real feedback. Not taking damage, not doing damage, not even dying. I mean, it's cool, but with MWO out there that feels so much heavier and bigger and more impactful, it has a hard road ahead, imho.

I was excited until an old Quake/UT buddy of mine gave me a key for the beta. It's a Pay2Win MMO FPS. alright. Relatively slow movement I can accept but aim feels terribly unresponsive. I know mechs are kind of expected to have some built in lag, but this is unbearable for me.

My Quake ego won't let me lose because some noob paid real money to make his avatar bigger, faster, stronger, more responsive, etc. Not that I didn't destroy those mofos but still. RPG scum making their way to FPS :mad:

I tried to install the closed beta and still after two weeks it still said not authorized. The dedicated help thread for the auth issue showed that they were in no hurry to fix the launcher. I couldn't fix it, so I gave up on this game.

1) Earning in-game currency is super slow compared to other F2P games

Hmm...was considering playing it until I read this. Can't stand grind games. As much as I love to play FPS games I don't have the time nor the patience to devote to the grind. :(

Man, the reactions this game is getting from everyone is making me sad. I really miss when new mech based games were coming out frequently, and this game got me excited. I guess I'll check out MWO at some point.

I've always wanted an online mech game with defined factions you'd sign up with, and I guess smaller squads or clans within it. You'd have missions that you could sign up for, like defending/attacking a convoy, and you'd configure your loadout for the mission and coordinate with your squadmates. The results of the mission would impact a larger scale war and so on. I'm guessing some game already does/has done this and I'm overlooking it. Didn't Planetside 1 or 2 promise this type of thing?

Man, the reactions this game is getting from everyone is making me sad. I really miss when new mech based games were coming out frequently, and this game got me excited. I guess I'll check out MWO at some point.

I've always wanted an online mech game with defined factions you'd sign up with, and I guess smaller squads or clans within it. You'd have missions that you could sign up for, like defending/attacking a convoy, and you'd configure your loadout for the mission and coordinate with your squadmates. The results of the mission would impact a larger scale war and so on. I'm guessing some game already does/has done this and I'm overlooking it. Didn't Planetside 1 or 2 promise this type of thing?

YOu should look into MWO and their eventual Community Warfare update. It's pretty much what you just described.

After playing beta my reaction was the same as most in this thread. Cool concept but failed delivery. The gameplay isn't good enough to hold you in and the sound is lacking big time. Buying unlocks and Mechs/items does give you an advantage and that right there in a fps environment is a shit hitting fan. I was excited to play this and was really looking forward to afast-paced new Mech game but this just didn't deliver. It's a free game so I can't knock on it too much but I walked away with the feeling if you didn't fork over $ it would take you a very long time to be on par to those that did...

Yeah, it's a pay to win.

Sounds awesome in theory, but execution is seriously lacking.

Meh I like it. This build is way better than what I played early in the closed beta. This is quake with mechs, and I love it, and there is a slight pay to win thing going on but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

If you're looking for another mchwarrior this isn't it, but it you loved armored core (like myself) then you will like this.

For those of you having problems with low fps, go into power management and force your CPU to run at 100% all the time.

This one thing brought my frames in game from 8-15fps up to 90fps steady.

There is some bug in the game that is not kicking the processor to run at the correct speed.

ಠ_ಠ

Basically, the game by default is letting the CPU power saving keep the CPU at the lowest possible multiplier.

Changing the power options in control panel to 100% for the CPU just makes the multiple stay at the highest multiplier (before turbo).

It doesn't actually make your CPU peg usage at 100%, and the game on the rig in my sig doesn't even go up to 20% CPU usage.

I'm downloading it now, a bud is nagging me to play. I've been playing MWO since well into closed beta, so if it sucks then I'll live. It'll just be a good excuse for him to finally load MWO.

I do agree that the more mech games the merrier.

Now go watch the Pacific Rim trailer.

WEEEEEE!!!

Yeah, it's a pay to win.

Sounds awesome in theory, but execution is seriously lacking.

All you can buy with real money is color patterns and visual customizations? :p

The weapons and classes are sidegradey too. There are other unlock classes but they are just different, not really better.

I'm taking a break from MWO for awhile till they get that shit fixed, so i'll check this out for giggles

Back