Metro: Last Light Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you anxiously awaiting the game, there is a preview of Metro: Last Light over at Polygon today that is definitely worth checking out. Here's a screenshot and a quote to get you started.

When the player sneaks up to an enemy they can decide whether to kill or knock out the bad guy. There is no overt reward or punishment built into that decision. Knocking out an enemy doesn't involve more risk. Later, I ask Huw Beynon, community lead for Metro: Last Light, about that. Why bother including it if you aren't rewarded or punished? "Overtly speaking, there are choices you have to make in the game constantly," he said. "There are choices on all manner of fronts, and the fact that choice is being made is never overtly displayed."

So.... choosing to knock a baddie out instead of killing "could" affect the storyline? Or not?

I liked the implementation of this kind of thing in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Knock someone out, and they could be found and revived by a cohort. Kill them, and you could score less points in the mission, or the mission would end depending on the parameters.

At the bar, Greiner, at my insistence, proceeds to get Artyom drunk. With each drink the world gets a little wobblier, the woman sitting next to him more attractive, literally. Drink enough and you wake up outside the bar lying next to the woman, now restored to her original looks. Wander back into the bar and you discover wreckage and a very angry bartender. You have an option then to spend 100 bullets, a post-apocalyptic fortune, to pay for the damages. But no one is insisting. If you do you make the bartender very happy, and likely a new friend, but there's no tangible reward.

Very cool. :p

Back