Deep Divides In Dubai At UN Talks On Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this conference doesn't have the power to make any changes to how the internet operates...why have it?

The Dubai conference, which wraps up later this week, is not empowered to bring about any immediate changes on how the Internet operates. But the U.S. and its backers argue that sanctioning greater government roles in Internet oversight could allow governments that already heavily censor Web traffic, such as China or Iran, to justify more restrictions and monitoring.

But if they don't have it how are they going to hold all expense paid conferences around the world?

Wont someone please think of the bureaucrats!

Why do US (and its backers) care how China/Iran/whatever censors Internet in their respective countries?

Why do US (and its backers) care how China/Iran/whatever censors Internet in their respective countries?

The way I understand it is they want to censor the global internet not just in their countries. They can already control the flow within their countries with maybe the exception of satellite based services.

The way I understand it is they want to censor the global internet not just in their countries. They can already control the flow within their countries with maybe the exception of satellite based services.

That's what I took from my understanding of all this. Of course this would be bad for the US b/c then the politicians couldn't pad their pockets with money from the MPAA/RIAA and other interest groups.

Back