Nintendo Blocking 18+ Wii U Content in Europe

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Nintendo has called a curfew on games purchases in Europe. The only time you can purchase certain games or even view the game trailers is between the hours of 11pm and 3am. I guess Nintendo believes in the honor system among minors. :D

Eurogamer has since verified the claim. It received a message stating "You cannot view this content" and "The times during which this content can be viewed have been restricted."

Though I do have to ask, is it easier for teenagers or working adults to be up and active at midnight?

...Being 30 and having to get up for work in the morning firmly puts my bedtime at 10:30.:mad:

Not that this matters for me, because I neither live in Europe nor buy things from the Nintendo store, but it still seems silly.

Gotta ask when will these game companies sue Nintendo for violating contracts and their ability to sell product, product to which they had to pay HEFTY licensing fees just to produce for their system.

That...is one of the dumbest decisions ever. Seriously, Nintendo? Not one better idea for restricting content came up? Let's see, give me a few seconds here...oh yeah, a password lock.

Gotta ask when will these game companies sue Nintendo for violating contracts and their ability to sell product, product to which they had to pay HEFTY licensing fees just to produce for their system.
That's as silly of a statement as you can make it's like saying steam has no control over how their store is ran and as if they companies have signed no agreements with nintendo in order to get them to appear in their store. Anyways all it does is hurt their store, trailers aren't a big deal the restrictions just hurts their own products, the point is to have users go to them not have to work around them.

Anyways if you read the neogaf forum you see laws similar to that exist in germany and to access such content requires proof of identity probably something nintendo is looking to set up in the regions, but i'm guessing their based for europe somewhere in germany.

Anyways it's still an upgrade of the eshop, you can download and buy the full game for the wiiU instead of having to always go into a store front to pick up the game. All this really means is +18 games for the time being should be bought from a store front to make things easy.

As someone who has always been a night owl, I used to stay up until like 3 am in my early teen years (non-school nights of course), usually playing video games or watching movies. I'm just saying this wouldn't have affected me at all and is a silly idea.

Though I do have to ask, is it easier for teenagers or working adults to be up and active at midnight?

...Being 30 and having to get up for work in the morning firmly puts my bedtime at 10:30.:mad:

Not that this matters for me, because I neither live in Europe nor buy things from the Nintendo store, but it still seems silly.

That's like...all kinds of early. I'm 31 and I'm pretty much still awake at midnight. Then I get up at 5:30 am to get ready for work. On the weekends, I'm up until 2-3 am. Been doing it since I was a teen and simply never stopped. So guess I'm just use to it.

Non event for me; I watch trailers on my computer and rarely purchase from e-shops, except when it's exclusive to digital downloads.

To be fair, those posts didn't come out until today, whereas the original news came out a day or two (or more) before that news came out.

Fair enough.
I didn't see this till today. But yeah, like Demon10000 said, it's not something they would 'just do', especially since it wasn't worldwide. Gotta ask the right questions.

Fair enough.
I didn't see this till today. But yeah, like Demon10000 said, it's not something they would 'just do', especially since it wasn't worldwide. Gotta ask the right questions.

I'm still not entirely sure why someone would decide to download a retail game over buying the disc, though. Having a physical copy that you could return or trade-in is important to me. That's the biggest reason I play games on consoles, honestly.

I'm still not entirely sure why someone would decide to download a retail game over buying the disc

Having more ways to buy something is a good thing, especially when a distribution model doesn't cost much to provide to consumers who obviously want that model.

Having more ways to buy something is a good thing, especially when a distribution model doesn't cost much to provide to consumers who obviously want that model.

True, but the only console I downloaded full retail games for was my Xbox 360 so I could technically download it to both my Xbox and my wife's Xbox so we could play together with only purchasing the game once.

Without taking advantage of that kind (or similar kinds) of loopholes, I've never seen a big reason to download it over getting it at retail.

Back