Apple and Google Making Joint Bid for Kodak Patents

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Strange bedfellows and all that aside, looks like frenemies Apple and Google have jointly collaborated to purchase $500 Million in imaging patents from Eastman Kodak. Strange bedfellows, indeed.

The digital imaging patents, which are relevant to cameras, smartphones, and other devices, could help both Apple and Google, who are engaged in numerous patent disputes.

Makes sense. Math is simple. Both sides know if they can't come to an agreement, a bidding war will occur making the price go much much higher. Therefore it is much cheaper overall to buy it "jointly" and move forward.

^^ That and the fact that its just not a one buyer gets it all blanket bidding process. They have $500 million to throw around jointly to bid for patents.

With other companies bidding at the same time. There's "$2.6 billion" that's being bid at.

So they won't win them all. They just need to win what they think is more important.

I just imagine two lawyers sitting at a cafe in NYC, chuckling and laughing with one another, sipping lattes. One is hired by Google, the other by Apple.

"Well looks like recess is over, shall we go back to the courtroom?"
"Sure thing trevor, good luck in there, Still on for Golf Sunday?"
"No can do James, I'm flying out to St Barts for the weekend, a little bonus for that appeal I threw at you"
"HA HA HA, we both won on that one, eh?"
"HAHAHAHA Yes Sir, Job Security as those blue collars say, eh?"

Isn't Kodak near irrelevant by now anyways? I think I read somewhere a while back that Kodak was constantly late to the party in everything they do. Kodak only survived because it's a household name. You don't say "it's a Nikkon moment" any more than you say "let me Bing that for you".

I just imagine two lawyers sitting at a cafe in NYC, chuckling and laughing with one another, sipping lattes. One is hired by Google, the other by Apple.

"Well looks like recess is over, shall we go back to the courtroom?"
"Sure thing trevor, good luck in there, Still on for Golf Sunday?"
"No can do James, I'm flying out to St Barts for the weekend, a little bonus for that appeal I threw at you"
"HA HA HA, we both won on that one, eh?"
"HAHAHAHA Yes Sir, Job Security as those blue collars say, eh?"

There's a saying "it's not personal, it's just business". Steve Jobs took things very personally which probably contributed to his being a very angry person. But businesses probably normally run the way you described - at least at the upper level anyways. If they catch two low level employees do that, you can bet they'll get a couple pink slips.

Sound to me that they are trying to cut out Microsoft.

Back