Microsoft Wants You to Switch to Outlook.com

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have a current Hotmail account, you may have already received the ‘switch’ notifications in your email. If you haven’t already, you soon will. Microsoft is in the very early stages of phasing out the Hotmail brand, but don’t fear the change, it will probably be a longer road than phasing out XP. :D

“We want to make sure people know they don’t have to change their email address, or their password,” says Law. “Also, they won’t lose any emails or calendar entries….nothing changes, except they get the new UI.”

yeah. i got this about a month ago. I can now log onto my mail at school. Previously i couldnt access hotmail.

This may actually be a good thing.
Hotmail was kind of meh.

IIRC outlook was done from the ground up they just essentially wanted to do away with hotmail all together, i assume the merge just moves file from one server to another. I did it months ago? still have @outlook @live @hotmail

Hotmail was a brand they should have done away with 7 years ago.

If an applicant handed a resume to you with a hotmail email address, would you take him/her seriously?

oh yeah, they were trying to go somewhere with @live. What's next after @outlook?

If an applicant handed a resume to you with a hotmail email address, would you take him/her seriously?
Reminds me i should sit on worldsbestemployee.com

I got a job with a resume sent through hotmail. I was slightly embarrassed thinking that I just need a gmail for resumes. But the job hunt didn't take long so it didn't matter.

Nothing if you're applying to be a fry cook at McDonalds, however if you're applying to a real job, especially one in a technical field, @hotmail, @aol, @yahoo, etc... look far less professional. Do you really want to stick [email protected] at the top of your resume? How do you think it would look next to Joe Blow who's email is [email protected]? In this competitive environment every bit helps and the guy with an email address that at least looks like it's a personal domain just sounds like he takes stuff a bit more serious than abc_d123@hotmail. The only possible exception being if you have a hotmail address that's old as dirt like [email protected], then that says "yeah, I've been around THAT long". I'd say as a rule you don't want to use an email address that has numbers or is excessively long on a resume, or one that has some sort of an alias in it.

If there email address was there [email protected] I wouldn't hold it against them at all. Ultimately if it had anything to do with there name then I wouldn't hold it against them any more then I would a yahoo, live, gmail, or any ISP address..

That said if it was anything stupid @ any of the above then yeah that doesnt look good.

uhh, hotmail was THE best mail platform for a long time, until gmail.

I would take a hotmail user much more seriously than a yahoo or aol user.

^ @lookout
:D

Dammit, that domain is taken. I was seriously going to register it. :D

This is why I like having my own mail server and domain, I don't have to worry about having some change forced on me. If they really wanted to they could phase out hotmail.com and everyone's email would now be invalid.

Hotmail, sure I will still take them seriously. AOL however goes straight in the trash, Yahoo goes in the "Only if I am extremely desperate" pile.

Nothing if you're applying to be a fry cook at McDonalds, however if you're applying to a real job, especially one in a technical field, @hotmail, @aol, @yahoo, etc... look far less professional. Do you really want to stick [email protected] at the top of your resume? How do you think it would look next to Joe Blow who's email is [email protected]? In this competitive environment every bit helps and the guy with an email address that at least looks like it's a personal domain just sounds like he takes stuff a bit more serious than abc_d123@hotmail. The only possible exception being if you have a hotmail address that's old as dirt like [email protected], then that says "yeah, I've been around THAT long". I'd say as a rule you don't want to use an email address that has numbers or is excessively long on a resume, or one that has some sort of an alias in it.

I registered my first name on gmail back when it started. People are typically impressed when they see it, as impressed as one can be with an e-mail address. When I saw that microsoft was starting outlook.com I registered my first name again. It does come with some issues. I am always getting e-mail that is intended for other people that I share a name with. For a time, I was always informed of all the latest party events in L.A. even though I live in the midwest.

outlook btw has disposable email addresses via code redemption off a text XD, personally i already used outlook to gobble up a bunch of alias' instead of one off emails, as soon as i saw that feature i figured it come in handy.

I really dont understand the hate for hotmail. I think its possibly from those that have never used it... or did use it once when it first existed. Its been awesome for me ever since i created the account in about '98. Its solid. Always worked. And these days expecially its a nice clean and fast UI. None of this flash sluggish BS.. just a nice fast HTML affair.

I got an email about a month ago as well to change to Outlook and i did so. I didnt like it. It took away options and features that i liked being present to the eye and not taking up room. Very efficiant and compact UI. Why go backwards? I can uncerstand a UI change to make it look similar to what they're doing currently... but i can't undestand it when it's a step backwards in useability. That just shi*s me. So i switched my account back to hotmail.

This is completely ridiculous... If you use any kind of nickname or "handle" regardless of the domain in your professional email its likely not going to be taken seriously. It doesn't matter what the domain you use. [email protected] is just as bad [email protected]....

[email protected] is completely fine. Most of the time hiring managers spend less than a minute looking over a resume and the your email address is not what they are looking at.

This is completely ridiculous... If you use any kind of nickname or "handle" regardless of the domain in your professional email its likely not going to be taken seriously. It doesn't matter what the domain you use. [email protected] is just as bad [email protected]....

[email protected] is completely fine. Most of the time hiring managers spend less than a minute looking over a resume and the your email address is not what they are looking at.

I didn't have anything silly like ninjas but I got a web development job with hotmail and no recognizeable name. Obiously I wouldn't recommend that to a job hunter though.

Ahh how I miss the old hotmail back in 2000-02. My first encounter of chain letters and crap from classmate

I use a nickname in my email and I don't have any issues. If your resume looks like ass, that's the first thing they'll notice and it'll get tossed out. After that, they'll look for the skill sets they are looking for. If that's hard to find, expect the resume to get tossed out.

If they like what they see, then they'll look at your email address. If they've gotten that far, they won't give a damn what your email is, so long you have the education/experience/etc they are looking for.

Maybe I should get a new email. [email protected] and see how long it'll take me to get a job. My guess...a week. Just like now, with my current nickname email.

I really dont understand the hate for hotmail. I think its possibly from those that have never used it... or did use it once when it first existed. Its been awesome for me ever since i created the account in about '98. Its solid. Always worked. And these days expecially its a nice clean and fast UI. None of this flash sluggish BS.. just a nice fast HTML affair.

I got an email about a month ago as well to change to Outlook and i did so. I didnt like it. It took away options and features that i liked being present to the eye and not taking up room. Very efficiant and compact UI. Why go backwards? I can uncerstand a UI change to make it look similar to what they're doing currently... but i can't undestand it when it's a step backwards in useability. That just shi*s me. So i switched my account back to hotmail.

My thoughts exactly. Hotmail isn't broken, no need to fix it.

Back