Amazon Kindle Fire HD Update Brings Camera App and Swype

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon has upgraded the software on the Kindle Fire to 7.2.2 to bring support for on-board camera app, a Swype keyboard and Kindle FreeTime Unlimited subscription service to keep the kids occupied.

Kindle FreeTime Unlimited is a subscription service you can choose to sign up for within Kindle FreeTime. Parents can subscribe children's profiles to a wide variety of videos, apps, and games appriate for ages 3-8.

Well where the are the updates for the regular kindle I really like swype

I knew it was going to happen as soon as I head they announced it but I still don't like the fact that they have COMPLETELY dropped the original Kindle just 1 year after its debut.

I also wish articles saying things would use the actual name "Kindle Fire HD" Although the origional didn't have a camera when I saw articles talking about the ICS based version of the OS I was thinking that the original unit would get it too.

If I could keep Amazon Instant on community based ICS releases maybe I'd do it.

I think they should have adopted the version number scheme. Fire, Fire 2, Fire 3, etc.. I mean, what are they going to call their next one? Fire Ultra? Fire Extreme? How would the average person know by their names which came first and which is the latest?

Anyhoo, I hope they won't drop support for previous products. My girlfriend's Fire could use a few optimization updates. The latest update runs a little on the sluggish side.

Wow if they don't give me an update I'm moving to jellybean land. Or maybe if it's 'broken' they'll replace it with the hd version...

Back