Mushkin Announces World's First 480GB mSATA SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mushkin, Inc., an industry-leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance and mission-critical computer products, today announces that the company will begin shipping the world's largest capacity mSATA Solid-State Drive in January 2013. As the latest addition to Mushkin's Atlas family of mSATA drives, the new solid-state drive delivers up a colossal 480 gigabytes (GB) of storage capacity on a single mSATA module.

"We're excited to present our latest Atlas 480GB mSATA solid state drive, demonstrating once again Mushkin's consistent ability to combine top performance, functionality, capacity, and low-power innovation," said Brian Flood, Director of Product Development at Mushkin Inc. "Keeping z-height as low as possible and managing to fit eight NAND flash chips and a controller on a mSATA PCB was no easy feat, but now capacity-hungry Ultrabook and notebook users can go beyond the 256GB mSATA barrier."

that's pretty cool

plug into motherboard and don't even need a external drive. I'm sure the modders will like that.

Did any motherboards even have SATA-III ports when SATA-III disks first appeared. Of course you could always use a separate controller then...not really an option for mSATA.

Somebody's got to be the either the chicken or the egg...

do any motherboards even have SATA-III mSATA slots?

I've only seen them on a few high end mini ITX boards. Once you factor in the high price of the board over a solid midrange, and then add in the higher cost for this drive vs a regular 480/512MB SSD, it really would be foolish from a cost/performance stand point. I guess if you were tapped to build a custom system in a tiny area for an event like CES etc it might be worth it.

Back