Congress To U.N.: Don't Even Think About Internet Regulations

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. House of Representatives taking a collective stand against a U.N. takeover of the internet is fine and all but I think this is going to take a little more than a "strongly worded" letter.

The second resolution, also non-binding, has already been approved unanimously by the Senate. It's a bit more strongly-worded, saying "the consistent and unequivocal policy of the United States [is] to promote a global Internet free from government control and preserve and advance the successful multistakeholder model that governs the Internet today."

I find this kind of ironic' since we keep seeing bills trying to be passed that would regulate the internet. Wouldn't the law that requires to ISP's to police people downloading pirated material count as regulating the internet?

I agree with all the posters above, in the US we try to pass SOPA and PIPA then we get mad at other people for trying to do the same.

In rare example of election year bipartisanship, U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passes a resolution today reaffirming commitment to "a global Internet free from foreign government control."

FTFY

Wouldn't the law that requires to ISP's to police people downloading pirated material count as regulating the internet?

That law deals with illegal activities. Compare that to the censorship in China, and you should see the difference. Yes, there are similarities, and it may come down to "where does one draw the line," but by far and large the separation deals with legality. US companies lose tons of revenue due to IP theft, copyright infringement, etc., so obviously it is in their best interest to try and prevent that. They can lobby Congress for that right, but Congress is elected by the people, so ultimately it is still a free and democratic process. Compare again to China or the UN, both with unelected representation.

Congress protecting their billionaire telecom CEOs? Say it ain't so.

It has nothing to do with distrusting the UN and everything to do with their anti-regulation and pro-lobbyist agenda.

Little more to add here but yeah, the US doesn't want anyone tampering with the internet, it gets in the way of the US tampering with the internet. Fucking POS's, all of them, every last one.

I'm all for the people but fuck these corrupt governments. We need smaller governments, we the people need to set rules for the government, not the other way around.

Rule_1 We no longer go to war with everyone else in the world either covertly or openly at the same time. We should bring our troops home and cut defense spending by half (just bringing our troops home from all the countries they're in will probably accomplish this). I'm sure you could cut out the fat and some muscle and still have a lean mean fighting machine.

Rule_2 Take all excess money from all billionaires (only anything over the billion dollar mark just to be nice) and use it to further advance clean energy which will be given to the people at cost.

Rule_3 Reverse citizens united and publicly hang anyone that pushed for its passing in the first place. People have to start taking responsibility for their evils. If I did something wrong being a normal peasant I'd most assuredly have to take responsibility for mine, yet the rich get away with murder, literally!

and so on and so forth.

Maybe Congress should stop trying to pass "cybersecurity"(read:monitor your every internet move) bills every six months before they start acting shocked, shocked, at bureaucratic bodies talking about invading our privacy.

Governance != policing. So while they believe no one body should have control, the ability to shut down or stop its use, that does not mean they are against policing what runs through their own tubes. So while Americans sit back and see that Big Brother loves them and will protect their Internet, they will not see when he passes DPI under the guise of a homeland security bill.

Little more to add here but yeah, the US doesn't want anyone tampering with the internet, it gets in the way of the US tampering with the internet. Fucking POS's, all of them, every last one.

I'm all for the people but fuck these corrupt governments. We need smaller governments, we the people need to set rules for the government, not the other way around.

and so on and so forth.

[/SIZE]

You might like to check out Soapbox in General Mayhem, there's a sneak peek going on.

There's a few communists in there.

I get that people think the US is mucking in their stuff by trying to take down pirated content/sites, but giving control to a non-elected world police backed by countries that openly want to filter and censor the net at a national level is not a better solution IMO. There are provisions they are pushing to get rid of all anonymity online, and others to tax online services based on arbitrary things or bandwidth used in other countries. In other words, Turkey could claim google owes them $100 million dollars a year for people in their contry using bandwidth to watch youtube videos... or that they have to pay a fee to the government to act as an online 'postoffice' for gmail, and owe them 5 bucks a year per user or something. They also want to raise what it costs to register and hold a domain by a very signifigant amount, making it cost up to 4 grand per year for organizations including schools. I would read up on this before backing it, as it is way sh***ier than any SOPA plan you could imagine.

There's a few communists in there.

LOL...fucking please! I think you should research and understand "finite resources".
Nice shallow way to just throw some fear mongering BS around though...lol.

LOL...fucking please! I think you should research and understand "finite resources".
Nice shallow way to just throw some fear mongering BS around though...lol.

It's really quite amazing. Ever since the Cold War ended, people scoff at the notion of communism, as if it evaporated the minute Gorbechav stepped down. And people like you perpetuate this myth, deriding anyone who bristles at collectivism in any of its labels. Quite insidious, but we're not all fooled. The shit being pushed in the name of "progressivism" is little different than the shit that was being touted in the 70s. Hell, we're even using the same language, like "income inequality".

Give it up.

Honestly, I've already decided you're a not someone I wish to communicate with at any point in time and clearly already told you this. Stop responding to my posts, seriously! It's like you stalk my posts and find something to hang onto. I don't care what the topic is, anything, seriously.

Honestly, I've already decided you're a not someone I wish to communicate with at any point in time and clearly already told you this. Stop responding to my posts, seriously! It's like you stalk my posts and find something to hang onto. I don't care what the topic is, anything, seriously.

I haven't responded to you once since the last time you threw a tantrum. Get over yourself.

Just put people you don't want to communicate with on ignore so they can rant about your breadline politics without bothering you.

I haven't responded to you once since the last time ...
lol

Originally Posted by LeninGHOLA
Just put people you don't want to communicate with on ignore so they can rant about your breadline politics without bothering you.
True, it might come to this, just would prefer it not to. Never blocked someone anywhere on the internet in my life.

That said, it's not breadline at all, if too many people take too much there is none left for others (This is a finite world after all). So the people left without resort to taking it which lands them in more trouble since usually the people with it all also have the power on their side. A lot water resources are being privatized right now around the world, guess someone in the future wanting to get a drink out of clean drinking water will be just standing in line for a hand out. :rolleyes: Sad world we live in.

lol

True, it might come to this, just would prefer it not to. Never blocked someone anywhere on the internet in my life.

That said, it's not breadline at all, if too many people take too much there is none left for others (This is a finite world after all). So the people left without resort to taking it which lands them in more trouble since usually the people with it all also have the power on their side. A lot water resources are being privatized right now around the world, guess someone in the future wanting to get a drink out of clean drinking water will be just standing in line for a hand out. :rolleyes: Sad world we live in.

You need water to make bread. Plus, you may get thirsty while waiting in line ;)

I think we should defund the U.N. and withdraw from it, and we should turn the U.N. building in New York City into something else.

The U.N. doesn't have our best interests in mind, and so therefore, we have no use for them. I don't like the idea of a "one world order".

Now, we can only hope that they have the smarts to tell them to stick their arms treaty where the sun don't shine.

Or the desire. That part is a little scary as a result of the elections.

WHY does anyone have to own or regulate the internet to begin with?

Shouldn't it be an open system which countries can choose or choose not to utilize? And do so in their own way? And if other countries disagree with one countries utilization of said internet, simply block them from having access to their content on the internet?

For example: the US disagrees with Australia. Therefore, it blocks all access from Australia to their US ip addresses etc. and Australia can choose to in turn block the US or any other country it so chooses.

Simple solution... nobody owns anything other than the data traversing their own networks.

Derp?

looks like congress wants to "win" the trust of the people huh? :D , too obvious fellas too obvious..

the day when people find out their was a 65 million year civilization on mars and nasa wont tell us, all hell will break lose .:eek:

the day when people find out their was a 65 million year civilization on mars and nasa wont tell us, all hell will break lose .:eek:

NASA has been keeping a lot of things from us. Pictures you see of the Earth from space... all lies, lies I tell you. They've even co-opted GPS and mapping companies like Google and Garmin to conceal the Earth's true nature.

Find out for yourself before it's too late...

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

I think we should defund the U.N. and withdraw from it, and we should turn the U.N. building in New York City into something else.

The U.N. doesn't have our best interests in mind, and so therefore, we have no use for them. I don't like the idea of a "one world order".

Holy shitballs! How american! If the rest of the world doesn't have your best interests at heart then fuck the world right! My god the states created the damn UN in the first place.

Funny story: when I worked in IT, the IT manager (a little crazy) got a scam email about domain expiration. Freaking out on us he wanted us to follow up right away so we don't lose our domain. We told him it's a scam and to not worry about it and just delete it and he freaked even more telling us to stop jumping to conclusions. He did not trust our judgement and wanted us to consult with an "internet expert" so we contacted our tech who takes care of internet stuff, just to make him happy. Had a good laugh with him about the situation, then told the IT manager it's a scam again. He told us to contact the internet police. He actually said "Internet police". Would that be Congress? :D

Lol, considering congress just told the UN don't even think about equal rights for disabled people treaties with no mechanism for enforcement or real regulation, I doubt seriously congress would pass anything suggested by the UN.

Congress would vote down UN treaty declaring puppies are cute.

Holy shitballs! How american! If the rest of the world doesn't have your best interests at heart then fuck the world right! My god the states created the damn UN in the first place.

Why should we have to take care of the world? I thought the idea was for us to STOP policing the world, including being the top contributor to the UN, while countries like China win human rights awards(this is the same nation that harvests organs from political prisoners and sells them).

Yes, we were responsible for the creation of the UN, and we should be responsible for its expulsion. It's a useless, money-gulping, oil-for-food scandal creating frankenstein monster of a bureaucratic clusterfuck. Let it burn.

Can we please go back to talking about computers?

For some reason, tech sites/forums like this tend to attract the politically obsessed brand of sociopath from who knows where. Perhaps its sufficiently niche they feel its a good place to hide out and rant incoherently to whoever passes by? I'm not sure at this point.

Anyway, back to the computer stuff:

Congress keeps submitting internet regulations. They keep getting shot down.

There are whispers of the U.N. wanting to submit internet regulations. If they succeed where Congress failed, Congress loses a ton of face. On top of that they'd have to implement what a foreign body is written up and successfully implemented, rather than the foreign bodies implementing what they've written up. Its an issue of face.

Fortunately, I'm not terribly worried about this for the forseeable future. ANY kind of regulation, at least for the United States, would require the privately owned ISPs to get on board. And they are smart enough to realize (at least they have so far) that the internet simply wasn't constructed with that kind of crap in mind (attempting to regulate a massively distributed (and potentially encrypted) system from a single, central authority? LOL), and trying to shoehorn it in requires too much money and time with no real reward. They best you're gonna get is some broad based bandwidth throttling. The kind of fine tuned policing that Congress and media companies (i.e., technological luddites) want won't happen any time soon.

Or maybe I'm a silly optimist. Who knows.

Some of you had better wake up and realize that in this case the devil you know is by far the better option. The UN is a freaking Orwellian disaster all you have to do is look at the United Nations Commission on Human Rights to understand that. The UN has no respect at all for any aspect of free speech or human rights the UN corrupts anything it touches.

Burning down a ugly house to build a uglier one is not a rational response.

The UN was created to help prevent petty dictators from becoming big world threatening dictators again. Its now become a social club for petty dictators. Its time to melt and repour.

Back