Netflix Signs Unprecedented Content Deal With Disney

HardOCP News

[H] News
How come it's always a "good news, bad news" scenario with Netflix?

Disney is giving Netflix some of its top movies at the same time they go to pay-TV services. The companies announced today that under the deal Netflix becomes the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run live-action and animated feature films from The Walt Disney Studios. Now the bad news: The deal doesn't kick in until 2016.

Gives Netflix time to gradually increase prices over the next few years to cover the costs.

Have you seen the prices of Disney blu-rays?!

That's no deal. Transition to pay TV takes movies years.

Hope Netflix stays in business that long.

Maybe they're trying to cash in on the upcoming Star Wars craze.

The way things are going, it might be a crapshoot if Netflix is even still around in 2016.
Blockbuster fell apart in less than 3 years, so anything could happen.

TransCoders unite!
I don't own a Blu-Ray player. But I rent a lot from Netflix. ;)

Pretty much this as well. :)

wDOrm.jpg

When I get the time I'm going to start converting my Blurays to digital and slam them into my Plex library. Just so I can avoid that crap. :)

The way things are going, it might be a crapshoot if Netflix is even still around in 2016.
Blockbuster fell apart in less than 3 years, so anything could happen.

???
Streaming =/= Retail

Lol at 2016. Their stupid management might make a huge mess of things by then.

Retarded CEO == Bad Management.

Netflix is doing fine, I really don't see what people have to complain about. Sure their library is a little lackluster, that isn't really their fault when all other publishers have branched off or competeing services have decided to steal some. For $8/month Netflix still gives me thousands of hours worth of good TV shows and movies for me to kill time which is only a fraction of the cost of cable. For everything else there's Hulu or Amazon.

This is because of managment?

Ah why wonder.

Netflix Management =
images

Somebody slap that squirrel off his head. LOL

And here I was thinking I just might have to readd streaming to our account. But 2016? That's not even ... close.

Oh well, I'll keep costing them postage with my 2-4 DVDs / week.

This is cool.... 2016... Ah, nevermind.

Yeah that was my first thought as well as I don't care what's supposed to happen 3-4 years from now. But there is a lot this article doesn't cover which could make a huge difference immediately. For example does this mean Netflix can put all of "Disney's Films" or all films Disney, and all the studios, own?

The first way means Dumbo, Snow White, etc.... While the second would mean Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvell, as well as Pixar's, Touchtone's, Miramax's and even ABC's entire catalogs. Also Disney's part ownership of A&E and the History Channel could open up other programing as well.

As they say, the devils in the details so I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

If it went with ALL of Disney holdings, I'd be interested. But, in 2016 there will be other options out there. Perhaps even ala carte when it comes to TV channels (HAHAHAHAHA! Yea, right!). But, if it's just Disney and no other studios, then it's just cool but not FUCK YEA! Miramax? Those stupid Miramax fucks are gonna put Ben Affleck and Matt Damon together again. Poopshoot.com has the info.

Pretty much this as well. :)
wDOrm.jpg

When I get the time I'm going to start converting my Blurays to digital and slam them into my Plex library. Just so I can avoid that crap. :)

Some time back I was reading a forum where there was a pro DRM, guy and a guy that freely copied DVD arguing back and forth.
It was pretty funny at some points.

But the free copy guy said "I'm NOT a pirate. I don't do it for profit, or to distribute I don't bit torrent movies. I'm asserting my rights not to be forced to watch 30 minutes of advertising before I can watch the movie I PAID to watch by renting. I'm not a pirate, I'm simply a TRANSCODER."

At that I laughed big time because I pictured some guy dancing to some techno music while writing code on a laptop.

But then I though, "well, crap. That is basically what I do also so I'm a TransCoder too"
Then I couldn't help busting a move to Kraftwerk..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ

My boys will still be young. I hope they add Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Talespin and all the other Disney TV shows :D

This is because of managment?

Ah why wonder.

Netflix Management =
images

Somebody slap that squirrel off his head. LOL

You know he declared bankruptcy on other peoples money like 10 times before finally getting it right, right?

Fucking hate this, if this happened tonight I'd still hate it. Why? Exclusivity bullshit, so if you don't use Netflix you're pretty much hosed.

Transcoding? Pfft. I thought dumping the untouched audio and video to your hard drive was the [H] way. Isn't that why we all have 40TB media servers?

You know he declared bankruptcy on other peoples money like 10 times before finally getting it right, right?

Does it really matter since he did get it right?

Kind of like saying well that sports team took 10 times to win the superbowl.... The end result is he made billions....

Kind of like saying well that sports team took 10 times to win the superbowl.... The end result is he made billions....

Just pointing out he got lucky he managed to get that many chances.

No, it doesn't matter that the end result was he got his.

Did any of you actually read the article?
The multi-year deal also immediately brings Disney's extensive back catalog to US Netflix users. The streaming service had previously received a good portion of the Disney catalog via a deal with Starz

If you go on netflix and see some of it right now..

But you can get certain players to skip all the begining crap automatically. Just check "don't show menus" and it plays straight from the feature.

Plus you get grainy low quality 720p upscaledness via streaming. :p

I guess it depends on if you are part of the wreckage trail left behind.

Back