Let's All Shed Tears For The Crappy Startups

HardOCP News

[H] News
I really like Dan Lyons. Never read any of his stuff? Read this article and you'll know why I like the guy. ;)

Here’s some stunning, Earth-shattering news: You know all those hundreds of incredibly stupid startups that have been raising seed money in Silicon Valley despite the fact that the people running those startups have no experience doing anything, ever, and have no idea at all how to generate revenue (let alone profit) with their lousy ideas, because, in fact, there is no way to make money with their lousy ideas, because in fact their ideas are lousy? Well, nobody wants to give those dopes any more money. So now they're going to go out of business.

That run-on sentence reminds me of the crap I'd put out when I tried to write blog posts.

That run-on sentence reminds me of the crap I'd put out when I tried to write blog posts.

You know, I don't think you realize that I, unlike you, am not reminded of the crap you'd put out when you tried to write blog posts because I haven't read any of your blog posts which apparently are conjured into your mind by the quote from the article with a run-on sentence reminiscent of the alleged run-on sentence(s) found in your blog post that no one else has seen.

My head hurts now.

Let me hurt your head even more: the pain in your head is, quite literally, only in your mind, and if you had the constitution and the willpower to dismiss the pain as nothing more than signals transferred through your neural cortex to your pain receptors, you would be able to carry on your duties without so much as an Aleve, much less a lovely, lovely OxyContin that I love so very much.

You know, I don't think you realize that I, unlike you, am not reminded of the crap you'd put out when you tried to write blog posts because I haven't read any of your blog posts which apparently are conjured into your mind by the quote from the article with a run-on sentence reminiscent of the alleged run-on sentence(s) found in your blog post that no one else has seen.

You and Stiletto have left me with no choice. I'm writting into congress to outlaw the use of commas.

Sad part is, it probably wouldn't be thrown out immediately.

You and Stiletto have left me with no choice. I'm writting into congress to outlaw the use of commas.

Sad part is, it probably wouldn't be thrown out immediately.

You know, how about you just choose not to buy commas yourself, or just turn off commas if they're on the radio or television? Why do my rights to bear commas need to be infringed just so you can feel more safe about what you read?

Let me hurt your head even more: the pain in your head is, quite literally, only in your mind, and if you had the constitution and the willpower to dismiss the pain as nothing more than signals transferred through your neural cortex to your pain receptors, you would be able to carry on your duties without so much as an Aleve, much less a lovely, lovely OxyContin that I love so very much.

z8tIS.png

"Maybe all the angels will simply get sufficiently butt-hurt on these lousy deals there won’t be enough of them around to mislead thousands of other kids into creating another one of these seed-round bubbles, or whatever you want to call what’s happened. Maybe we'll all buckle down and start trying to solve big, important problems."

I like him too.

You know, how about you just choose not to buy commas yourself, or just turn off commas if they're on the radio or television? Why do my rights to bear commas need to be infringed just so you can feel more safe about what you read?

What about MY right NOT to be imprisoned in a world with too many commas?

The prison is only in your mind. Now...you take the blue pill, your story ends, you wake up in your bed, believe whatever you want to believe, and the commas will disappear.

You take the red pill, you stay in Grammarland, and I show you how deep punctuation goes.

You can always free yourself from the shackles of civilization and go live by yourself in the wilderness, and by wilderness I mean really far away in the mists of forest, jungles or mountains. Or you can go live in a Oriental country, where they don't use commas in their writings.

"Maybe all the angels will simply get sufficiently butt-hurt on these lousy deals there won’t be enough of them around to mislead thousands of other kids into creating another one of these seed-round bubbles, or whatever you want to call what’s happened. Maybe we'll all buckle down and start trying to solve big, important problems."

I like him too.

I don't know, I like the idea of distracting some of those people with bad ideas so the rest of us can get the good opportunities.

Too many fools attempting to be the next Jobs or Gates or Zuckerberg. The reason these people are known is because they are rare. They are the exception, not the rule. For every idea that ends up making a billionaire there's a few billion ideas that never go anywhere. Some of them are good, most of them are mediocre, and a lot are downright pathetic, but in the end, very few people are in the right place at the right time with the right set of skills to become an overnight success. It does make me wonder what they're teaching in school that these people believe they can start a company that does nothing of note and somehow turn a profit.

The prison is only in your mind. Now...you take the blue pill, your story ends, you wake up in your bed, believe whatever you want to believe, and the commas will disappear.

You take the red pill, you stay in Grammarland, and I show you how deep punctuation goes.

No! Screw your pills! I demand reality to change to meet MY needs!

No! Screw your pills! I demand reality to change to meet MY needs!

Actually, it should be "I demand reality change", not "I demand reality to change". If you'd have been using Windows 8 on a Surface tablet, you'd know that. Don't be afraid of change.

Actually, it should be "I demand reality change", not "I demand reality to change". If you'd have been using Windows 8 on a Surface tablet, you'd know that. Don't be afraid of change.

Don't tell me how to speak! I speak good enough as it is.

I am not afraid of change, that's what I'm asking for. For everyone to accomodate my pendantic and stupid ideology that commas are either outlawed or greatly reduced. Maybe we should get schools to teach No-comma-ism.

Too many fools attempting to be the next Jobs or Gates or Zuckerberg. The reason these people are known is because they are rare. They are the exception, not the rule. For every idea that ends up making a billionaire there's a few billion ideas that never go anywhere. Some of them are good, most of them are mediocre, and a lot are downright pathetic, but in the end, very few people are in the right place at the right time with the right set of skills to become an overnight success. It does make me wonder what they're teaching in school that these people believe they can start a company that does nothing of note and somehow turn a profit.

I think it all comes back to arrogance and an inflated sense of self worth. I'm not sure if it's something being taught or just something some of us pick up in our daily life.

Just look at the TV, all those reality shows (which I will not name). Sometimes success really is just a roll of the dice on a really bad idea that still makes the person rich and famous. It's sad to think this way, but there's a lot of examples of how luck is really all that's needed.

The BS in this thread is high.

News flash, amigo: what you perceive to be BS is nothing more than your own carefully crafted illusion about the reason for existence, which neither I nor you know to be of any factual basis, apart from philosophical speculation passed down through generations of unemployed and oft-intoxicated vagrants with nothing better to do than to dream up structural foundations to explain the discrepancy between socially-emphasized moral systems and instinct-driven self-interest.

I lived in San Jose during the first bubble, and this second bubble looks about the same as the first. Wash, rinse, repeat.

News flash, amigo: what you perceive to be BS is nothing more than your own carefully crafted illusion about the reason for existence, which neither I nor you know to be of any factual basis, apart from philosophical speculation passed down through generations of unemployed and oft-intoxicated vagrants with nothing better to do than to dream up structural foundations to explain the discrepancy between socially-emphasized moral systems and instinct-driven self-interest.

Do you look into the mirror and have conversations with yourself?

Back to hell with thee, Comma-Nazi!

(If I had the where-withall, here would be a clip of McBain fighting "Commu-Nazis")

Do you look into the mirror and have conversations with yourself?

Do you look in the mirror and ponder whether the image presented before you is what others indeed see, or do you ruminate as to the possibility that other people, having entirely different paradigms from yourself, may, in fact, see aspects of your person that otherwise would be transparent to you as a result of internally transcendentalized perception filters?

As a writer I would suggest that Dan Lyons used the run on sentence as hyperbole to demonstrate the mindset and attention span of the Gen Y, Hipster Dickheads he refers to.
Stiletto, " I used to be an addict, now I'm not "

Do you look in the mirror and ponder whether the image presented before you is what others indeed see, or do you ruminate as to the possibility that other people, having entirely different paradigms from yourself, may, in fact, see aspects of your person that otherwise would be transparent to you as a result of internally transcendentalized perception filters?

lol

Constantly. Doesn't everyone?

Capital investment is retracting. It's going to be a brutal 4 years.

LOL, pure gold.... or maybe I'm just halfway between a hangover and caffeinated.

You're looking at it the wrong way. This was going to happen regardless of who got elected. Now they just have someone to tell people to blame.

Oh, I have no doubt. I voted Gary Johnson just because Romney was so pathetic. I still think he was the lesser of two evils, but really...it doesn't matter.

Back