Valve Officially Launches TV-Friendly Steam Big Picture Mode

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Today Valve officially announced the release of Big Picture which had been in limited Beta since September. To access Big Picture mode just connect your computer to the TV and access your Steam account. This could create a whole new dimension of couch potato. :D

Valve says all your existing Steam games are available in Big Picture. That’s not all though: your cloud files, Steam Workshop content, account information, and preferences are also accessible automatically in the new mode.

Very cool. Makes me wish I had a better video card in the HTPC. Maybe this will be the motivation I need. :D

Does this mean I can finally play Steam games on my second monitor :rolleyes:

WinXP unsupported.
That sucks. We have a couple PC with older hardware we play steam games on.

I like it a lot. :D However, that said, games still require at least some initial mouse control so it is not entirely there yet. (Skyrim being one of them at startup.)

Great, now I have to get a 50 or 100 ft hdmi cable...that outta be cheap... (actually it's like 66 bucks on amazon, not as bad as I expected)

I've been using it for a while. Had a buddy over for a bit of vidya games and drinking and had the 360 controller going with the new steam. He asked me when i got an xbox 360, then i had to explain that yes computer games do exist, and what the hell steam was.

Great, now I have to get a 50 or 100 ft hdmi cable...that outta be cheap... (actually it's like 66 bucks on amazon, not as bad as I expected)

75 foot is only $40 ;)

Unless you need the full 100 ft :p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
II've encountered some games that don't play well with HDTV resolutions, and mouse control. Mainly X-Com. Hopefully Steam will push developers to be a bit more open minded with where they think people will be playing their games.

II've encountered some games that don't play well with HDTV resolutions, and mouse control. Mainly X-Com. Hopefully Steam will push developers to be a bit more open minded with where they think people will be playing their games.

HDTV resolutions...you mean 1920x1080? because I have some news for you if that is what your talking about...

I really fail to see the need or point of this.

If you are using a PC on the TV sitting on the couch you are GOING to need a mouse ANYWAYS to even open Steam then open TV mode...so what EXACTLY is the benefit here? You just click on the damn game and it starts...use your controller all you want after that point.

Now if you could have the PC BOOT to Steam TV mode then that would make more sense...other than that I see this as being more cumbersome and time consuming than just using Steam the normal way!

ah i used big picture during the beta. Its kinda useless without an inbuilt media player. I prefer the classic steam layout. Also despite being in the lounge on my 50" hdtv i still prefer using my gameboard and mouse.

^ Some individuals want to use a controller though, not a mouse, especially if it is their gaming box.
This just helps in that category, as well as increases resolutions, ease of access, etc.

In other words, it helps with things where a mouse would be kind of cumbersome, i.e., an HDTV.

I tried the big picture in beta. Wasn't connected to a tv, so didn't see much point. Even if I was connected to a tv, still wouldn't see the point. Course, I just launch steam, launch the game, then sit on the couch with a controller. Need to change games, change away with the wireless mouse. Then back to the controller. But, I only have 1 game I use a controller with. Dirt.

I don't know why but big picture actually made me realize that metro will work quite fine on the tv LOL

In my case would there be any benefit? My TV is already my computer screen. But in some game, bigger test might improve the experience if I step back to the couch...

If you are using a PC on the TV sitting on the couch you are GOING to need a mouse ANYWAYS to even open Steam then open TV mode...so what EXACTLY is the benefit here? You just click on the damn game and it starts...use your controller all you want after that point.

Now if you could have the PC BOOT to Steam TV mode then that would make more sense...other than that I see this as being more cumbersome and time consuming than just using Steam the normal way!
Yeah, but its 1 minute vs. the entire time using a kb/m.

And remember that Steam hired some hardware interface people a while back. Possibly a Steam Remote like those gyroscopic air mice or a Controller that has a mouse-like mode.

The thing that this does is cut into the xbox experience in a potentially big way. The best TV-based experience won't be a console anymore. It will be a Big Picture setup if they get out the other kinks.

technically you could alway play off your TV, but this simplifies it for the masses.

This could also be a precursor to Valve releasing a Small Form Factor PC to compete with the consoles or a Valve controller ... or both ... anything that makes PC gaming more accessible to the masses is good in my book :D

This could also be a precursor to Valve releasing a Small Form Factor PC to compete with the consoles or a Valve controller ... or both ... anything that makes PC gaming more accessible to the masses is good in my book :D

If that is the direction, valve could also very well be heading for a console though, maybe a linux based on. we'll see

Now if you could have the PC BOOT to Steam TV mode then that would make more sense...

You can have the PC BOOT to Steam TV mode.

Steam -> Settings -> Interface Tab -> Check "Run Steam when my computer starts" & "Start Steam in Big Picture Mode"

As I type this sentence, I'm using my HTPC in front of a 73" Mitsubishi HDTV with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Why would I want a full screen version of Steam? Same reason why I use XBMC. It's convenient and looks pretty.
You could do that with any application, so why not Steam?

So, don't use it and leave it to those that want to to do so.

So how the hell do I get it to open on my TV, keeps defaulting to my monitor. Also I can not access the store or web through the Big Picture UI.. nothing loads...

I've been playing around with the BP interface, and it's superb. Takes a lot of inspiration from the XBox 360 GUI, but is even easier to navigate.

Please, Steam...make a console. Show the lazy assholes, who haven't even announced a new console in over half a decade, how games should be done.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Valve has hired a few hardware engineer I believe earlier this year, so maybe a steam console (Big Picture with a Linux back-end) will come to fruition in the coming years? We'll see. :)

Most PC games don't support two-player modes though.

Pretty much the only reason i play on the xbox, is so I can play together with the wife or a buddy. PC games are online multiplayer friendly, but not as much for local co-op.

What would be truly great is to enable independent rendering on monitor and TV, and then you could do local co-op with everyone having their own screen and finally get rid of the totally useless split screen mode.

Valve has hired a few hardware engineer I believe earlier this year, so maybe a steam console (Big Picture with a Linux back-end) will come to fruition in the coming years? We'll see. :)

Hmmm, Steam Console......
Have the perfect name.................The Boiler! :)

"Steam Box" is also a name that's been flinging around the net lately for the console.

A few more......

Sammach steamer!

A hot bowl of Steam...........

The Titanic (steam ship or "steamer". Get it?)

Rice cooker. Huh....What??

Back