Murdoch Kills The Daily: What It Means For iPad Publishing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The $130 Million dollar News Corp publishing experiment with the iPad comes to a screeching halt December 15th. The Daily debuted in February 2011 and never really grabbed a secure foothold with the Internet news crowd.

"You can’t create an entirely new brand and take it behind a paywall after 4 weeks, while limiting its footprint on the Internet, and then expect people to buy it."

At the core of this, they want to get their news story text on the ipad, with some pictures? And that costs $130 million?

I tried it out when it was free upon release.

It was a decently-well-implemented magazine.

Then they put it behind a paywall where if you tried to share a story, it sent a link that required the app. Um, that's a load of crap. I could understand limiting the number of shares per day or something, but whenever I clicked on a link a friend posted on Facebook, I'd get a "hey, go see this article on the iPad app!" admonition. Uh, no. I'm at my computer, not on my iPad. And, of course, I had to be a subscriber to see the article on the app.

It really should have been implemented as a combo website/app, where the "full-featured" interface (in-depth videos, etc,) was only on the app, but that the website offered at least minimal functionality.

Pay for news? gimme a break.

I bet most ipad users don't even read the news. They just watch youtube and play games. Fuck the news, they say.

Back