OCZ Bridges NAND Supply Shortage, Stocks Rise

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Still facing an uphill battle against the SSD market giants like Intel and Micron, OCZ has at least made some headway in regaining investor trust for now. Along with securing multiple suppliers, OCZ has cut its workforce and decided to drop 150 low-end, low profit products.

From now on, Schmitt said, the focus of the company would be profitability and not topline growth alone. OCZ has not made a profit in the last three quarters.

Looks like OCZ has dumped their system memory altogether. That's too bad.

I really want to watch OCZ come back from the brink. There aren't a lot of companies I feel deserve that second chance, but OCZ was the first brand I "chose" for my first gaming PC.

"focus of the company would be profitability" - Wow....

You werent worried about profit before???

How do you expect to stay in business

Right now even with OCZ's history , having another vendor like them start to fade away is just not good for the industry as a whole.

You mean DRAM modules ? You mean their exit from DRAM market nearly 2 years ago (January 2011) ?

lol, that's what I was just thinking.
Still running some of their memory though, and going strong.

If only they hadn't messed up so badly with the Vertex/Agility 2 SSD series, it's still going to take a while for most individuals to trust them again, and rightfully so.

Yep, not me though. I have my first ssd, an ocz octane. Started off fine, but would then just "stop working" and cause me to have to manually force a power on/off and it would then subject me to hours of scan diskings and corrupt data. It's now only somewhat reliable after updating to the latest firmware and secure erasing the drive, but it'll still pull its "I'm not home dave" routine and just quit.

I can't update to the latest office updates either, or .doc files stop opening, docx is fine. I put it all down to this flaky drive. As soon as I can afford, I'm going to either samsung or intel. Never buying ocz again ever. They can cease trading, I really don't care. Plenty of other competition in the market that actually makes a trust worthy product.

but it'll still pull its "I'm not home dave" routine and just quit.
OCZ HAL Edition :D
My OCZ Agility 1 is still going strong after being through multiple systems, tons of workloads, and has been in use since 2010.

Still though, while they may have improved the hardware, I'm still a bit weary of the company itself.

ocz has been dead to me ever sense they took over and shat on pc power and cooling

I have had nothing but good experience with there drives but I did come late to the ssd game. I am using 3 of there drives and all have been rock solid so far(Vertex 2, agility 3, and Vertex 4).
SSD wins handily, I trust them way more than spinning media. If only prices would plummet so they would reach parity in cost.
I still have a seagate which is on its way back for second rma, an old Samsung HDD that gave up the ghost. I onlu use spinning media as media drives and for backup. If you don't have redundancy built in, Murphy eventually come visit, learned that lesson long ago.

I figure OCZ gives the best performance for the dollar. Even if I do fry a drive of theirs, I will rma it and keep chugging, When the new vertex drive reaches .60 cents/GB, Its upgrade time.

ocz has been dead to me ever sense they took over and shat on pc power and cooling

PC Power and Cooling wasn't that great to begin with.

"Modular PSU's cause a significant voltage drop with multiple connectors"

"80mm fans are sufficient for cooling"

Both statements that came from their CEO in the last 5 years before they were bought.

Both bullshit. 120+ mm fans work just fine and are much quieter. Modular connectors do not cause any significant voltage drop, and when they do, the source voltage can be raised to account for it.

PCP&C was good at one point and top of their class. The rest of the industry caught up and surpassed them while they just stood still.

Well crap, no clue how I missed OCZ backing out of ram or them buying PC Power & Cooling. Never had a problem with any if their products and used their ram exclusively in all my builds until this year... Hopefully they can straighten everything out.

The sooner OCZ finishes circling the drain the better. Had nothing but problems with their SSDs, RAM, and customer service back in the day. Not to mention the fairly large number of scams they've pulled over (bait-n-switch NAND technologies for instance).

Had mostly amazing experience with OCZ products and always trusted them in many many system builds.

The DRAM products in DDR and DDR3 were great, DDR2 not so much but I dont blame them, no matter what company or industry I needed a stack of sticks to try various combinations until I found a pair that would pass memtest, especially on 680i boards.

The power supplys were generally reliable, except the gameXstreme line... but name one power supply company that hasn't had a bad line at some time.

and SSD's i've never yet had any problems having used only vertex drives in every system that needed SSD.

The best part with them I found was the customer service, if and when I did have a problem they sent the replacement quickly, usually advanced replacement, or if I needed it ASAP I could drive 45 minutes to there Canadian office and do an on the spot trade.

Back