Ouya Dev Consoles Shipping Soon

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Ouya Kickstarter page, dev consoles are expected to ship December 28th. Anyone have a dev kit on the way?

Developer kits for the Ouya were given a ship date of December 28th today, alongside news that the system's software development kit ("ODK") will be available that same day. In case it wasn't already clear how small the Android-powered console is, the folks at Ouya included the picture you see above to further illustrate that point -- the thing is really small.

Recent news has found the Wii U to have a Triple core 1.24 Ghz CPU in it. Compare that to the Tegra 3 T30L chip that might come in the Ouya that will be clock a quad core 1.2 - 1.3 Ghz chip, I'd say Nintendo fucked up.

Call me pessimistic, but I still believe this is going to crater in ways that will make the Phantom look like a blog-spawned rumour.

Recent news has found the Wii U to have a Triple core 1.24 Ghz CPU in it. Compare that to the Tegra 3 T30L chip that might come in the Ouya that will be clock a quad core 1.2 - 1.3 Ghz chip, I'd say Nintendo fucked up.

i dont see anything about nintendo in here... are you just on a pursuit to look like a spaz or what?

You can't compare it by clock speed alone:

Chip Y quadruples the IPC of chip X but has half the clock speed. Which one is faster? :p

I'm not saying the Wii U doesn't have a shitty CPU, but we can't go by clock speed if we're dealing with different microarchitectures. If the chip is the same as the old Wii Power-based CPU, then it indeed would be quite slow.

Anyway, I just don't understand the concept behind an Ouya box thingie. Can't you just buy a tablet with the same or better horsepower? Aren't devs just going to offer the same games on Android/iOS?

i bought one because i heard it will support xbmc, i hope there is usb ports in that thing.

Solid XBMC support makes it very interesting for me. Gaming is meh, + on the side I guess.

Solid XBMC support makes it very interesting for me. Gaming is meh, + on the side I guess.

This.

Linux "gaming" is pretty much ass.
As for the clown comparing this to the Wii-U, LOL. Not even in the same ballpark, man.

Call me pessimistic, but I still believe this is going to crater in ways that will make the Phantom look like a blog-spawned rumour.

If you remembered the history of the phantom, you'd know that while this is still vaporware, it's still miles ahead compared to how far the phantom ever got.

Ouya will be forgotten about before it is even remembered. Bet. BET.

You can't compare it by clock speed alone:

Chip Y quadruples the IPC of chip X but has half the clock speed. Which one is faster? :p

I'm not saying the Wii U doesn't have a shitty CPU, but we can't go by clock speed if we're dealing with different microarchitectures. If the chip is the same as the old Wii Power-based CPU, then it indeed would be quite slow.

Anyway, I just don't understand the concept behind an Ouya box thingie. Can't you just buy a tablet with the same or better horsepower? Aren't devs just going to offer the same games on Android/iOS?

But isn't this going to be incredibly cheaper? I don't know about final price but Kick Starter chippers get it for 100 right?

It's running Android, it will already support xbmc out of the box.

He means full support. You can install the android XBMC, but for a lot of hardware you have to hack it to get it to run a hardware-accelerated secondary video app (like MX Player). Only certain devices work natively in hardware mode. A few chinese branded ones and the Ouya.

I bought it for XBMC. I'm disappointed it won't have an optical audio link. But I guess I had to replace my 7.1 Onkyo with an HDMI enabled one at some point.

But isn't this going to be incredibly cheaper? I don't know about final price but Kick Starter chippers get it for 100 right?

You can still get it for $99 on their website.

That's their niche. It might not a "great" console. But it's a helluva a good media box considering comparable boxes retail for $130ish.

A custom tri-core POWER CPU at 1.24GHz has a hell of a lot more processing power than a 1.3GHz quad-core ARM CPU.

POWER != ARM

Show me some benches saying otherwise, then I might agree, but still, apples to oranges, so...

Wait a second, Nintendo is using a POWER CPU...

82d41aacaf66293f42986dd1d564a02e-290x290.jpg

Well now we really are playing with POWER! :eek:

i dont see anything about nintendo in here... are you just on a pursuit to look like a spaz or what?

Just saying that the Ouya shouldn't have a problem competing with the likes of current gen consoles. At least compared to the new Wii U.

And when you're both compared to the Pentium 4 Extreme 3.76GHz, they're both chumps! 3.76GHz! You can't compete with that! SUCKERRRRRRS

A custom tri-core POWER CPU at 1.24GHz has a hell of a lot more processing power than a 1.3GHz quad-core ARM CPU.

POWER != ARM

Show me some benches saying otherwise, then I might agree, but still, apples to oranges, so...
The Wii U has an Out-Of-Order CPU which isn't that slow. Compared to Xbox 360 and PS3 which use In-Order, you might a well consider them 1.6 Ghz CPUs, cause Our of Order makes a hug diference.

There were already some benchmarks that showed the PS3 to be slower then a Mac G5, but you could say that without the SPE cores used, you can't make a fair comparison.

PowerPC was slower then X86 by a long shot, and now ARM is creeping up. If you don't believe me then check out these benchmarks. It's probably safe to say that the Ouya is going to be a strong performer with current generation consoles. Though it may never get the quality of games that consoles would, because games will be cater made for touch screens above a control pad.

Just saying that the Ouya shouldn't have a problem competing with the likes of current gen consoles. At least compared to the new Wii U.

The Ouya is roughly the same hardware as the Asus Transformer Prime. It's not going to be competing with current gen consoles...

I'm picking this up as a media box for starcraft 2 and twitch tv streams.

The Wii U has an Out-Of-Order CPU which isn't that slow. Compared to Xbox 360 and PS3 which use In-Order, you might a well consider them 1.6 Ghz CPUs, cause Our of Order makes a hug diference.

There were already some benchmarks that showed the PS3 to be slower then a Mac G5, but you could say that without the SPE cores used, you can't make a fair comparison.

PowerPC was slower then X86 by a long shot, and now ARM is creeping up. If you don't believe me then check out these benchmarks. It's probably safe to say that the Ouya is going to be a strong performer with current generation consoles. Though it may never get the quality of games that consoles would, because games will be cater made for touch screens above a control pad.

I knew all of this already.
Perhaps you should have quoted the guy I quoted instead? :confused:

But yes, you are correct about the specs and processor info.

my biggest question is how do I get it to see my shares on my network. Will it work with samba or something else?

You would have to say that, because the SPE's are the entire point of the design. As such, anything run on the PS3 should ideally be totally customized/optomized for it, specifically. But in the general code world of the PC, this is cheating or something.

Its who can do the same thing, faster. VS. Finding the fastest way to the finish line. Or doing the most things while still making it to the finish line in an acceptable time.

i doubt this little game box is going to revolutionize console gaming... most likely it will end up as a cool little niche between the big consoles and mobile gaming. It might be cool now but i dont expect it to stay popular for long.

its not meant to be revolutionary. its just an idea that garnered enough support so dont expect it to shatter your expectations.

Comparing an old slow Cortex A9, to a custom Power7 architecture is crazy. Like comparing an i7 2600k to an 486DX CPU.

my biggest question is how do I get it to see my shares on my network. Will it work with samba or something else?

XBMC has that built in. Otherwise you can use CIFS/Samba like with any other Android app to make a mount point for the network drive.

That's how I do it with my Android sticks.

I'd be very interested in this boxes XMBC support. I have been an avid XBMC user for years and right now Android support is still spotty (at least on my S3). I'd rather the team just go the usb live route.

I certainly don't think this will be a gaming success. The only market I see it being a success is in the media extender category. It's a good step above the pi, but lower than a dedicated pc. Mix it with emulators and advance launcher it would be good bedroom devices.

I bought one of the Kickstarter campaign.

Yes XBMC is going to be one of the good features.
Game cast build in will see some usage as well.
Emulation will be another good feature I will use, Amiga FTW.
However, I do not see much use beyond this, unless somebody actually releases a good android game that isn't geared towards a touch screen. Imagine playing that weird fruit cutting game with a game controller :confused:

Comparing CPU power between the OUYA and any other console will be useless, as the OUYA has to deal with the android system, JIT code etc. A PS3/XBOX/WII (U) allows code to be optimized for a particular CPU without a lot of overhead.

And for the guy suggesting a tablet:
If it was purely for android gaming on the cheap, yes a tablet could be a better buy, but you don't get a lot of tablet for 99$.
If you want to do anything other than tablet gaming, such as XBMC.....
You have to find one with HDMI out for the TV screen
How many tablets run XBMC?
Would you have to use the tablet screen to select something in XBMC or could you use a keyboard?
You could use a Bluetooth controller, but that would add to the cost.

You would have to say that, because the SPE's are the entire point of the design. As such, anything run on the PS3 should ideally be totally customized/optomized for it, specifically. But in the general code world of the PC, this is cheating or something.
Majority of PS3 games don't make use of the SPE's. Very few games actually make use of the SPE's.

Comparing an old slow Cortex A9, to a custom Power7 architecture is crazy. Like comparing an i7 2600k to an 486DX CPU.
The Cortex A9 isn't that slow, and PowerPC isn't that fast. ESPECIALLY because the 360 and PS3 use IN-ORDER. Which is a lot like a Pentium from the 90's then a i7. Literally, Out-of-Order was introduced with the Pentium Pro's and Pentium II's. With the exception of the Wii CPU since it does use Out-of-Order.

Also, remember the benchmarks from when the Apple computers used G4's and G5's? The x86 CPU's were tremendously faster no matter what none sense Apple spewed out.

Well, it's not like the Power architecture is inherently slow. The higher end Power chips have always been faster than the rest. The Power7 at 45nm had a max theoretical peak of ~260 GFLOPS

Apparently the Wii has a very short pipeline and uses OoO architecture, so clock speeds aren't the be-all end-all.

The performance of the Ouya box depends heavily on the SoC involved. If it were an A15-based ARM core then it would perform very well, in fact even better than the current Xbox 360 and PS3 as far as CPU benchmarks go (especially if you pack in 4 of them). But it's not. The Ouya box i's using a rather dated and aging Tegra 3. We'll see what the clock speeds are because they can vary quite a bit, but the Tegra 3 uses Cortex-A9s which can hit close to 2ghz depending on the process. The GPU is another story altogether and not a good one. The console would be GPU with a Tegra 3. If they were allowed to use an Apple A6 then the GPU performance (and CPU) would be significantly better.

We're all focusing on CPU performance rather than on GPU performance here. Most Ouya games (and most games in general) will leverage the latter heavily and the former to a lesser extent. Of course that doesn't put the Ouya in a particularly good position, given its Tegra 3, but it's worth bringing up.

The appeal as a game machine is that the games are going to be $5 or much less.

And depending on your socio-economic class and age other factors there are a lot of people who think it seems 'childish' to play video games that are now mobile device gamers (mostly girls). Those games are their perception of gaming now.

I'd like to consider Ouya to be closer to the NES/SNES/Genesis in terms of Consoles than Xbox/PS3/Wii U. Not that it's weak in graphics or power but it gives more studios a chance to develop for a machine that people can afford and put out new games quickly. It's a PITA to develop for the other consoles and with something like this, you give developers a stable android platform to put out games for it.
I think this is going to be a Win but if only people want this to be a Win and I very much want it to be a Win.

Meh, the Wii U CPU is weak. Give it up already. Many devs are complaining about the same thing. OOOE gives maybe a 30% improvement clock for clock (at best), and it's too slow to run full versions of XB360/PS3 ports. And lol @ comparing it to the POWER7 CPU, because the dinky embedded PPC processor the Wii U uses shares the instruction set and not the 1) clock speeds, 2) huge caches or 3) massive socket bandwidth of POWER7.
----

Anyways, the console looks like a pretty cool toy. If it sells for $99, that's not a bad deal for a quad core Tegra 3 with 8GB of flash memory running Android 4.2. Add to that it's hackable and I think people will be disassembling these to use the guts elsewhere.

Um, guys, why are you saying the Wii U's CPU is PPC, when it is a custom POWER7 CPU.
PowerPC != POWER
While they are similar in some ways, they are far from the same.

And lol @ comparing it to the POWER7 CPU, because the dinky embedded PPC processor the Wii U uses shares the instruction set and not the 1) clock speeds, 2) huge caches or 3) massive socket bandwidth of POWER7.
It's a customized POWER7 CPU designed for the Wii U, it doesn't really need the large bus bandwidth or caches that the normal POWER7 processors use, considering it is not operating in a multiprocessor, multi-node environment.
I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

The Cortex A9 isn't that slow, and PowerPC isn't that fast. ESPECIALLY because the 360 and PS3 use IN-ORDER. Which is a lot like a Pentium from the 90's then a i7. Literally, Out-of-Order was introduced with the Pentium Pro's and Pentium II's. With the exception of the Wii CPU since it does use Out-of-Order.

Also, remember the benchmarks from when the Apple computers used G4's and G5's? The x86 CPU's were tremendously faster no matter what none sense Apple spewed out.
You are comparing custom RISC processors to x86 CISC processors, that's not a very good comparison.
PowerPC and POWER have changed a lot since the 90's and 00's, especially since the 360 and PS3 were released.

You guys really need to read up on RISC vs CISC and the processor environments.
x86 CISC CPUs are not the end-all-be-all processors in existence, nor are they the best, at anything.

A POWER7 CPU will absolutely crush today's top x86 CPU in double-precision FLOPS with little effort, and the multi-processor IPC is in another league of its own.
This is why most supercomputers now are starting to utilize weak x86 processors, not to crunch numbers, but to use their small power (electricity consumption) profile and to feed data to CUDA-based GPUs to do the number crunching.

If you compare x86-only (CISC) CPU supercomputers to RISC CPU supercomputers, the RISC supercomputers absolutely decimate them.

Comparing CPU power between the OUYA and any other console will be useless, as the OUYA has to deal with the android system, JIT code etc. A PS3/XBOX/WII (U) allows code to be optimized for a particular CPU without a lot of overhead.
This pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the CPU vs CPU argument.
I agree.

Looking at the picture, have you ever seen so many albinos in the same place before? And, the french manicure definitely makes up for the out of focus shot. :D

Back