Microsoft Prices Pro Version Of Surface At $899

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft announced today that the Surface Pro will go on sale in January and cost $899 at launch. Hopefully the price falls relatively soon because, even though this is the most desireable version of the Surface, I don't see a stampede of people running out to buy it at this price point.

The price announced Thursday is in line with Microsoft's earlier statements that the Pro version would cost about the same as an ultrabook. The Pro version of Surface will come with Intel's Core i5 processor, which the company says gives it a graphics boost compared with the RT version.

Yea they might want to bring that price down some and soon. Nothing like pricing yourself right out of the market.

Is that high for that form factor?

Touchscreen ultra-books aren't exactly cheap either right now. And yes, you can get a Dell Inspiron with identical processor/ram/harddrive/etc for less, but at the cost of extra thickness and weight usually.

It's a fully functional windows PC so it's right in the middle of the pack for a laptop. This isn't some tablet running a phone OS. It runs Windows IIRC.

That's about right where I expected it. Add the keyboard, and you're close to Macbook Air pricing. The RT competes more with the iPad, and the Pro competes more with the laptop market (MB Air).

$999 for 128 GB + $120 for the keyboard. Not too bad. Not great, but I've yet to play with the hardware so I don't know. Competition is roughly the same (rumors on pricing, anyway).

It better have a retina screen; that would make it OK; IMO most people would rather buy an iPad if they're not aware or sold on Windows Surface Pro.

$100 less would be a no-brainer, IMO

Depending on the specs of it, i think it is priced about right, probably a little high for most normal people. I feel like people will judge it as a tablet, which it is not really, instead of a ultrabook/laptop. It has an i5 processor, 128gb storage (i think) and for 889 is not that much. Now the base version probably comes with 64gb of storage, and i dont know how they will price it with the added storage. But for a laptop, it seems pretty cheap. My next laptop will be between this and the lenovo ideapad 13, but i have yet to try out the lenovo. So i might buy the Pro, but it all comes down to specs. :)

It better have a retina screen; that would make it OK; IMO most people would rather buy an iPad if they're not aware or sold on Windows Surface Pro.

For the last damn time, IT'S NOT COMPETING WITH AN IPAD.

That's about right where I expected it. Add the keyboard, and you're close to Macbook Air pricing. The RT competes more with the iPad, and the Pro competes more with the laptop market (MB Air).

$999 for 128 GB + $120 for the keyboard. Not too bad. Not great, but I've yet to play with the hardware so I don't know. Competition is roughly the same (rumors on pricing, anyway).

The Ultrabook initiative hasn't taken off, with sales under 20% of what Intel was gunning for. The most common complaint has been that it's too damn expensive.

This is priced roughly the same. I think for the few people buying Ultrabooks, something like the Surface Pro is quite nice, but it's not going to gain a significant market share. The reason Android has made so many inroads is because it's cheap, and people like cheap :p The rise in Android in the tablet space has dropped the iPad to ~55%, a 14% drop in just a single quarter.

This seems to be Microsoft attempting to change its image and mimic Apple. They make premium products and price them just like Apple does except they offer a little something extra, the keyboard + storage space in the RT tablet and a touch screen with the Pro.

Yea they might want to bring that price down some and soon. Nothing like pricing yourself right out of the market.
They aren't doing that.

I believe it would classify as Retina, based on typical viewing distances. The iPad will remain Retina at closer viewing distances than the Surface, though.

Depending on the specs of it, i think it is priced about right, probably a little high for most normal people. I feel like people will judge it as a tablet, which it is not really, instead of a ultrabook/laptop. It has an i5 processor, 128gb storage (i think) and for 889 is not that much. Now the base version probably comes with 64gb of storage, and i dont know how they will price it with the added storage. But for a laptop, it seems pretty cheap. My next laptop will be between this and the lenovo ideapad 13, but i have yet to try out the lenovo. So i might buy the Pro, but it all comes down to specs. :)

$899 for 64 GB, $999 for 128 GB. Without the keyboard. So, base pricing, it IS a tablet. $100-$120 keyboard makes it an ultrabook/laptop. From what I hear, though, the hardware is very solid and not a flimsy cheap-o Dell style laptop. That's where I think it will shine. That's one thing I like about Apple - their hardware is top notch (not very upgrade-able, but very reliable and well built). The Surface is said to be the same type of quality. That's why I'll pay more for a Surface than I would for a Dell/HP/Compaq offering. Right now, I'm looking at Surface Pro vs. Lenovo.

The problem isn't the price point; it's the constant source of distraction in the OS. I would want a product to help me productively, not to derail my efforts.

They aren't doing that.
I just don't see this selling all that well as most consumers are gonna look at it as just another tablet and nothing more. I do like the specs of it but lets face it, we aren't your average consumer.
I can see this selling to a limited market and not much more at this price point. As someone else said, $100 less and it would do a lot better. But time will tell of course.

I just don't see this selling all that well as most consumers are gonna look at it as just another tablet and nothing more. I do like the specs of it but lets face it, we aren't your average consumer.
I think the "Pro" moniker is a good indication of the market this targets, and I believe it was chosen for that reason.

The problem isn't the price point; it's the constant source of distraction in the OS. I would want a product to help me productively, not to derail my efforts.

Plenty of other threads discuss that.... I'd rather not see this one head down that road and have 17+ pages of Metro bashing (there is good and bad with it... We've heard all the arguments). :rolleyes:

I need a new laptop. I would love to replace my iPad (it's great, but limited). I would benefit from the Pro version to run x86 programs and Metro apps. This looks like the all in one replacement that I would use.

Why oh why didn't it have the base option of a keyboard, though? Wonder if there are any third party alternatives?

Yeah, no thanks. I would rather have a decent ultra book without a touchscreen. We have a touchscreen Lenovo at work with Windows 8 on it and I still prefer using a mouse...

It sounds like the price is reasonable for what you get, given that it is a real x86 system and no slouch either. However, people aren't likely to buy it because they will see it as a tablet, and thus shouldn't be so expensive.

The Samsung version of this form factor costs $1200. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ATIV-Smart-Pro-700T/dp/B0098O9TRO

I've used one and its made from pretty flimsy plastic. And it feels huge as a tablet but small as a laptop replacement.

The surface pro with a 1" smaller screen but (reported) same 1080p resolution will thus have a nice high pixel density. I bought a surface Rt but returned it due to lack of core app and codec support i need.

This sounds like a deal to me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a surface Rt but returned it due to lack of core app and codec support i need.

What codec support? I was thinking about picking one up for my son, but this makes me wonder... He would use it as an iPad replacement device (he uses mine and my wifes iPad's daily, but he wants a Surface).

I think this is priced excellently for the enterprise market ... the enterprise market had been flirting with iPads for the last couple of years and this should provide a nice alternative to either Android or iOS tablets in that space ... the average computer user and tablet buyer is probably a mouthbreather anyway so this wouldn't be of interest to them (but neither would any sufficiently powerful system to merit a $1000+ price tag) ...

I eagerly will wait to see how this is reviewed with legacy software, especially games and Steam ... since I have 300+ games on my Steam account, if it works with those then it would become a must buy :)

Sorry what? What the hell is a retina screen? Why the hell do people think this stupid term is some sort of industry standard? It's just a bullshit name Apple fed down the throats of the common masses. I get so angry when I see that crap being thrown around by people like it's some accepted standard.

Calling it "Retina" is easier than saying "a screen which has a pixel density great enough that at typical viewing distances the human eye cannot resolve individual pixels".

Sorry what? What the hell is a retina screen? Why the hell do people think this stupid term is some sort of industry standard? It's just a bullshit name Apple fed down the throats of the common masses. I get so angry when I see that crap being thrown around by people like it's some accepted standard.

Retina screen. (Noun) - Apple branded screen made of ex-Apple engineers retinas from removed eyeballs.

High resolution screen... Surface Pro has 1080p, IIRC, which isn't bad at all at 10".

What codec support? I was thinking about picking one up for my son, but this makes me wonder... He would use it as an iPad replacement device (he uses mine and my wifes iPad's daily, but he wants a Surface).
Specifically I would like to play FLAC audio and mkv video files. The surface rt only supports wma, WMV, mp4, mp3... maybe a few more but it's a small selection until people make apps that (hopefully) support more file types. I just didn't want to wait. The tablet for me will be like 90% a media consumption device so these were important for my needs. The RT was a nice piece of hardware for most other casual tablet uses.

That made me smile :) haha.

Haha, and they called the iPad expensive.

To those of you saying its not to compete with the iPad, you're right, except it will. They're both slate tablets, and the surface may be more robust with a laptop processor, running a full version of windows, but it is STILL a slate tablet that happens to include a portable keyboard.

Your average consumer won't care that it is really a touch screen laptop with removable keyboard, running a full version of windows. They will see it as a tablet, they will be looking at it while shopping for a tablet, and they will directly compare it to other tablets, including the iPad.

They better find a way to drop the price point because I don't really see how people will be able to justify buying it once they compare it to other tablets (however unfair that comparison may be)

Haha, and they called the iPad expensive.

To those of you saying its not to compete with the iPad, you're right, except it will. They're both slate tablets, and the surface may be more robust with a laptop processor, running a full version of windows, but it is STILL a slate tablet that happens to include a portable keyboard.

Your average consumer won't care that it is really a touch screen laptop with removable keyboard, running a full version of windows. They will see it as a tablet, they will be looking at it while shopping for a tablet, and they will directly compare it to other tablets, including the iPad.

They better find a way to drop the price point because I don't really see how people will be able to justify buying it once they compare it to other tablets (however unfair that comparison may be)

You are assuming that they are after the average mouthbreathing tablet user ... they might be pursuing the enterprise market with this item or the more sophisticated user ... maybe they will come out with a bastardized and cheaper version later on ... they could call it the Surface MB :D

It also has a built in wacom pen surface. Capacitive touch + 1080p + pen input. Not bad.

Until it has LTE, it can't replace my iPad :( I would love this for work... but I know it would just end up collecting dust along with my Windows 7 tablet from last year.

Give me a ~$600 Touch-screen enabled Win 8 laptop and we're off to the races. SSD is getting too cheap to be considered a "premium" feature in 2012/2013! If Microsoft doesn't consider the RT a competitor of the iPad (but a whole new product), they are losing their marbles.

...and I defintely support a competitive market and would consider M$ products!

For what you get it's not bad value, but as other have said, it seems kind like it falls between too stools, it's probably too heavy and expensive to appeal to people looking for a powerful tablet, and too tablet like to appeal for people looking for an ultrabook.

I've been waiting for the pro, but at that price I'd seriously start considering something like a macbook air, or samsung series 9 instead.

Until it has LTE, it can't replace my iPad :( I would love this for work... but I know it would just end up collecting dust along with my Windows 7 tablet from last year.
It is disappointing that they've completely ignored built-in cellular connectivity in these things. You can get around it by using a USB modem dongle, but that's clunky as shit in my opinion.

Give me a ~$600 Touch-screen enabled Win 8 laptop and we're off to the races. SSD is getting too cheap to be considered a "premium" feature in 2012/2013! If Microsoft doesn't consider the RT a competitor of the iPad (but a whole new product), they are losing their marbles.

...and I defintely support a competitive market and would consider M$ products!

That $600 laptop would sell me on one, that's for sure.

Back