GIGABYTE Shatters AMD ‘Trinity’ APU Speed Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced the record highest clock speed 7.86GHz on AMD’s A10 5800K APU using the GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 motherboard. Attending an AMD Extreme OC show on 20th Nov. in Taipei Taiwan, GIGABYTE’s overclocking team, The Killers (featuring HiCookie, S.Dougal and John Lam), took part in an overclocking demonstration achieving two new records on AMD’s new Vishera and Trinity platforms. The GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 motherboard was able to push the AMD 5800K to an incredible 7.86GHz, more than twice the 3.8GHz stock clock. The AMD FX8350 processor was pushed to 8.47GHz using a GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 board.

Model: A10-5800K 'Trinity'
Cooling: Liquid Nitrogen
Temperature (˚C): -190 (load) -190 (idle) 28 (ambient)
Speed: 3,800 @ 7,869.82MHz

Who cares, it was under LN. Give me massive clocks on air, or even water and I'll be impressed. Nobody runs LN for their everyday rig.

This the equivalent of saying Ford built the fastest dragster, so you should buy a Ford Focus.

I saw a review vishera got 5 GHz with h80 cooler (20%) faster and 4.5 GHz on stock cooler (10%) faster. Doesn't seem so bad for gaming at 5 GHz it seemed as fast as the i3770k or whatever it's called. Just the vishera one tho. Still.. they finally get solid IPC improvement and fire everyone? Derp.

Still cool, remember when hitting super high OC's with processors used to be a big celebrated thing. Sadly not so much anymore.

Quick. Hurry the fuck up and run Prime95 before it all evaporates.

Damn. Crysis at 1000fps for 10 seconds.

That's exactly why car companies build race cars.

Well, I don't see the logic in that at all.

Unless the Ford focus is getting the exact same engine, etc. then Ford's race car performance is irrelevant. Even then, I wouldn't want a race car engine. Fuel economy is important factor for consumer level transportation.

Stock cars and consumer transportation vehicles are entirely different products. Many companies make both good and bad products, despite being the same brand. Every product needs a comprehensive and objective review.

Unless the Ford focus is getting the exact same engine, etc. then Ford's race car performance is irrelevant. Even then, I wouldn't want a race car engine. Fuel economy is important factor for consumer level transportation.

Stock cars and consumer transportation vehicles are entirely different products. Many companies make both good and bad products, despite being the same brand. Every product needs a comprehensive and objective review.

the average car owner isnt as smart as the average forum member here. ;)

It used to be that stock cars were just hand-tuned versions of the same cars you could buy on the showroom floor; thus, the adage "race on Sunday, sell on Monday". When things changed to tube bodies and colossal engines, it ceased to apply, but it used to be that way. With enough tinkering, you too could have a race-spec stock car.

People aren't that stupid.

Having more of your car out there = Larger view

Fastest stock car = Most talked about

Leading in engine technology resulting in more speed = more magazine/tv/analyst's talking about your car

A 19 year old buying their first Focus sure as hell knows hes not getting a mustang, hes just getting a car from the maker of his favorite car.

That's exactly why car companies build race cars.

Also to drive innovation. Racing is like a big experiment where you get to let engineers push the limit of automobiles, a lot of technologies developed for racing have made there way to normal cars.

Awesome job on the clock speed and props to those who did it.
Now if only we could actually see those speeds on a daily basis, then AMD might begin to compete with Intel... at least in the marketing dept. :p

Also to drive innovation. Racing is like a big experiment where you get to let engineers push the limit of automobiles, a lot of technologies developed for racing have made there way to normal cars.

Winner! - hit the nail on the head.

I think the race car analogy doesn't fit here, unless the tech being applied will make its way into consumer level computers. Sounds like bragging rights for MHZ and that's about it.

Who cares, it was under LN. Give me massive clocks on air, or even water and I'll be impressed. Nobody runs LN for their everyday rig.

I feel the same way. No practical reason for this, but Ford's racing heritage/tech is an active ingredient in all their cars, but the average consumer has no idea about that.

This just in: AMD to release liquid nitrogen cooling solution with all new desktop CPU's.

Was this the usual not-all-cores-were-on OC?

Yes, it was the usual "disable half the cores, let the others run twice as fast on a completely impractical cooling system not good for anything other than looking at the mhz without even considering stability".

Which is yet another reason why the race car stuff that people have brought up is pointless. Ford, Toyota, VW, etc. don't take a v6 and disable half of the cylinders and then call it a racecar.

Back