An Island That Exists Only on Atlases and Google Maps

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If Google says the island is there, then it better be there. :D Google has been sucked in by a 200 year old glitch by taking its reported position at face value from prior maps of the area. The truth finally came out in a live expedition to the area in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

"It's on Google Earth and other maps so we went to check and there was no island. We're really puzzled. It's quite bizarre.

The world is a constantly changing place, the Google spokesman told AFP, "and keeping on top of these changes is a never-ending endeavour'.'

Sandy should have told Google when she changed her address:p

I think I remember something I'd read about the OSS in WW II creating a disinformation campaign regarding airfields but, the article says 200 years so, I could be wrong.

You'd figure having it not show up on satellite surveys would be a hint. Not just pictures, but radio and gravitational mapping.

Quick, someone call Charles Whidmore, tell him we found the island!

Am I the only one who watched Lost?

What I find fucking odd as shit is that Google Maps uses SATELLITE imagery...so not only was the island not there but someone ADDED it to Google Maps despite there already being NOTHING there.

I mean, printed maps I could understand, but Google Maps? There's no excuse.

Aliens-meme.jpg

There could be several explanations:
- The island existed in previous maps but recently sunk?
- There was a mark on the satellite camera that when superimposed on the image, it looks like an island?
- QC on map editing figured it was an error by the satellite and re-entered the island on the map?
- The island was an experimental water surface landing strip by US black projects done in secrecy on French waters for possible incursions into China and North Korea?

Quick, someone call Charles Whidmore, tell him we found the island!

Am I the only one who watched Lost?

Actually, Secret of Bluewater came to mind. In truth, the island is an alien mothership that was on standby for a million years until somebody found it and left earth.

An old cartographer's trick would put fake streets and features in far out places on their maps as sort of a signature in case anyone tried to copy off their work....maybe this was done with a fake island back then that found its way onto some maps of the day, and Google picked it up?

I thought google earth was satellite images? If it really was, this island couldnt show up right? Its blacked out on GE as well.

The island is a top secret US naval base, blanked out on satellite imagery, but picked up inadvertently by google earth from old maps.

When the info leaked, they faked an expedition there, pulling a "nothing to see here, move along people, it was a weather balloon" maneuver.

BELIEVE!

Back