Robots Replace Costly U.S. Navy Mine-Clearance Dolphins

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Boy oh boy, talk about a hard hitting recession; even the Navy’s dolphins are being laid off (or would that be floated off)? The staff of mine clearing dolphins are to be completely replaced by 20’ sub-drone robots, which are still being developed and tested. The sea mammal program has been in operation for over 50 years and will begin to be phased out by 2017 to make way for the new generation of mine hunters. Next stop for the dolphins: Sea World for retirement. :D

So even though dolphins are a “fantastic system” to spot mines, as Capt. Frank Linkous told the BBC, machines will be able to replace them adequately. “Maybe not 100%, but fairly close.”

I think the real reason is some country figured out how to get sharks with laser beams on their heads to hunt down the dolphins.

OK, first off: a robot, swimming in the ocean. Robots don't like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot wave, I'm assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown 800 pound Dolphin with his 20 or 30 friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle 9 times out of 10. And guess what, you've wandered into our school of Dolphins and we now have a taste of Robot. We've talked to ourselves. We've communicated and said 'You know what, robot tastes good, let's go get some more robot'. We've developed a system to establish a beach-head and aggressively hunt you and your family and we will corner your pride, your children, your offspring.

… We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It’s not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get more oxygen, and then stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You’re outgunned and out-manned. … Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope.

OK, first off: a robot, swimming in the ocean. Robots don't like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot wave, I'm assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown 800 pound Dolphin with his 20 or 30 friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle 9 times out of 10. And guess what, you've wandered into our school of Dolphins and we now have a taste of Robot. We've talked to ourselves. We've communicated and said 'You know what, robot tastes good, let's go get some more robot'. We've developed a system to establish a beach-head and aggressively hunt you and your family and we will corner your pride, your children, your offspring.

… We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It’s not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get more oxygen, and then stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You’re outgunned and out-manned. … Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope.

Huh?:confused:

Anyway we already have remote submersible that are used to go to the bottom of the ocean to repair oil valve, do scientific research and so on. Underwater robots shouldn't be a problem.

There aren't enough of you to make a difference. Sure, you might break through our first line of defense...maybe even our second...but your numbers will thin. You will be extinguished. You cannot win. No need to even try Dolphin...resistance is futile. You know it is.

So I can now go back to eating dolphins with a clear conscience knowing it won't hurt our national defense. Now they'll need to come out with robot safe tuna.

This was amusing, but dolphins are mammals and breathe air, fyi.

The Dolphins will continue to be used regardless of what the article says...

yea that "The Other Guys" quote doesn't exactly work out the way i wanted to lol

I wonder what OS they're running. I betcha its BEOS or some really weird, obscure thing that nSuseo one has ever heard of like Suse

Can just picture a robot in the water tank at the end of Johnny Mnemonic instead of a dolphin.

Back