ASUS Matrix HD 7970 Platinum

HardOCP News

[H] News
After spending a little quality time with the ASUS Matrix HD 7970 Platinum, the Legit Reviews gang had a lot of nice things to say about the card. You can see our evaluation here.

The ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3GB video card will go down in the history books as the best AMD Radeon HD 7970 graphics card ever made. This card has so many features on it that you could literally spend all day talking about each and every nuance on it. ASUS designed this card to be the fastest single-GPU video card on the market and it looks like they easily achieved that goal and then some.

I like this card alot. One of the few cards out right now that I would consider selling my HD7950 to get some cash to put down on this card. Love the design but somebody needs to build a full cover water block for it.

holy hell, this thing has warranty void written all over it

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Is this one card OC'd faster than two 6950's in crossfire (OC'd or stock)?

Since I could only fit one of these in my case anyway...:(

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Is this one card OC'd faster than two 6950's in crossfire (OC'd or stock)?

Yes... It should outperform them with a good oc. Are they flashed to a 6970?

When crossfire is at it's best, they'd be close with a slight edge to the Matrix. The Matrix would be anywhere from noticeably better, when crossfire isn't perfect, to wiping the floor with the 6950's, when crossfire is broken.

Looks like a great card after reading the review... The overclocking factor will be an added plus. Rather go one powerful card and not crossfire at all

In a rare moment of stupidity I sold my reference GTX 680 and reference 7970 to get one of these.

Max stable overclock = 1170, which is utter shit for the price and the "so called" OC enthusiast level quality and components. 30 minutes of Crysis 2 for stress testing = system lock or reboot > 1170. I expected at least 1200 core stable and was hoping to aproach 1250 for 24/7 clocks.

I sent it back under the UK long distance selling laws and got a refund. I'm not paying £120 more for a card that gives no benefit over a much cheaper card. Even one of these cards = OC lottery, you are never guaranteed an amazing overclocker. Even when the manufacturer packs it full of OC friendly features.

Save your money and purchase a nice non GE edition 7970 Windforce 3X or Sapphire OC edition for significantly less money. Don't read these ASUS Matrix HD 7970 Platinum reviews and assume these are guaranteed OC monsters. You can get similar performance for far less money.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/10/sapphire_hd_7970_oc_edition_video_card_review/1

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/02/08/gigabyte_radeon_hd_7970_oc_video_card_review/

Last edited:
Quick question regarding the outputs, are both DVI dualink if none of the displayports are used?

nvm found my own answer: looks like you either get 1 single link DVI + 1 dual link DVI + 3 displayports or 1 single link DVIs with 4 displayports

Back