$30k High Tech Scrabble Board

HardOCP News

[H] News
Carbon fiber? Check. LED lighting? Check. Custom RFID technology? Check. $30,000 price tag? Check. That's right folks, we're talking about Scrabble. :eek:

The Scrabble board consists of nine RFID circuit boards that house 225 RFID antennas, which read each individual Scrabble square. Each Scrabble letter tile has its own uniquely identifiable RFID tag embedded within (100 in total), with an RFID circuit board enclosed in each of the players tile racks to ensure that all information is captured and showcased to the online viewers.

I'd rather have one of those table surfaces that I could play campaign pnp Pathfinder on. Scrabble is about as fun as trying to get a barbed fishook out of your scrotum.

And their promo shot is of the board with three proper nouns on it? Uh, okay. :p

Seems like an overhead camera + some custom ocr software would have been dirt cheap.

I'll stick with Words with Friends for free, thank you.

I wonder if MSI is going to sue them for using their name.

Huh?

You mean Micro Star International would sue Mind Sports International because you think the names are the same? Please think about what you just typed for a moment.

Huh?

You mean Micro Star International would sue Mind Sports International because you think the names are the same? Please think about what you just typed for a moment.

naw, he's talking about how Mind Sports Int'l abbreviated their name and made an MSI logo on the board.

Costing in excess of £20,000 to produce
Da fuq? That shit doesn't have gold tiles FFS. RFIDs and a "special software"

, the system utilises custom built RFID technology in order to read the entire Scrabble board almost instantaneously (974 milliseconds)
Who would have thought that almost one second is considered "instantaneously"

Back