Greatest 100 Video Games of All Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
TIME has posted a list of the "Greatest 100 Video Games of All Time." Let us know what you think of the games that made the list and, more importantly, the ones that didn't.

It’s hard to imagine a world without video games. For some, they’re a simple diversion — a way to pass time. For others, they’re a portal to strange and wonderful alternate universes. For everyone, whether you’re into video games or not, they’re an integrally important part of our culture.

It's missing Red Dead Redemption. I don't know anyone who didn't like that game.

I bought it for PS3...Played through the entirety of it, and yes it was a great game, but frankly it got pretty boring having to ride back and forth across a lot of countryside that essentially looked the same. It certainly isn't in my Top 10 of all time, maybe not even Top 25.

Pretty much agree, I'm sure when dealing with 100 titles everyone can nitpick several of them. Overall though, this was a very comprehensive list. I think I've played just about every one of them too.

Pretty much agree, I'm sure when dealing with 100 titles everyone can nitpick several of them. Overall though, this was a very comprehensive list. I think I've played just about every one of them too.

I've played a significant portion of them that's for sure. And yeah as far as web pages go that one sucks.

The list wasn't bad. There were many great games, especially in the 80's on the list that I would have on my own list. Games that were missed that I think definitely should have been represented:

Planetfall - Sure Zork I was on the list, but Planetfall was different. Many people have cited it as the first computer game to actually make people cry with the death of a main character.. that was unheard of before in a game.

Dragon's Lair - This was a revolutionary game, that and it's follow up, Space Ace (my favorite of them), raised people's expectations for computer graphics, even though the game itself did not use graphics. Being able to control a game where the characters were fully animated was eye-popping for the mid 80s.

Intellivision Football - This was the first sports video game, that I can remember, to really allow players to use strategy, and a play book. I did play it on occasion, but my Dad and a neighbor that would come over every Sunday afternoon, would sit there at the TV with bowls of snacks like it was the Super Bowl, playing Intellivision Football.

There are several on there that I personally would have left out. I would have liked to see Amiga represented somewhere, like for Defender of the Crown, but the list really took me back. Overall, it's pretty good.

Not a terrible list, but Elite is noticeably absent. And ME3 definitely doesn't belong there -- it's not even the best in the series, so it's definitely not an example of a "greatest" video game.

Not a bad list, but no Star Control? No Warcraft? No Monkey Island?

No Fallout 1/2, Wasteland, Total Annihilation, C&C, Planescape Torment, Ocarina of Time,

Apparently Halo, ME3, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Rock Band, Guitar Hero Oblivion, GoW, etc are considered better/more important games.

Most of the games from the 2000s in the list are shit.

Biggest omissions:

X-Wing
Tie Fighter
X-Com

And just because I like it, I'll throw in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territories. :p

No Fallout 1/2, Wasteland, Total Annihilation, C&C, Planescape Torment, Ocarina of Time,

Apparently Halo, ME3, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Rock Band, Guitar Hero Oblivion, GoW, etc are considered better/more important games.

Most of the games from the 2000s in the list are shit.

Mostly because your second list sold better than your first. Even though I'd agree that things like Torment, Fallout and Wasteland are some of the best of all time.

not a bad list, Its got rpg's on it sometimes people forget those are thing.

That list is missing System Shock 1 & 2, Alone in the Dark (1992), Fallout 3 and Independence War (I-War).

I agree with some that have already been mentioned in posts before this but also wanted to add one that should be there imo. as it got much play time from me.

Unreal
or
Unreal Tournament

They forgot Deadly Towers?

Oh wait, forgot this was a best list and not a shit list. I challenge anyone who can play that for more than 5 minutes while keeping their sanity.

Mass Effect 3? Really? And, Half-Life 2 but not Half-Life? Cawadoody 4 but not Battlefield 1942? I mean, it's kind of funny to see Medal of Honor: Allied Assault off the list, given that was what I consider the spiritual beginning of both CoD and the Battlefield series. And, yes, the question must be asked: Where is Super Mario Bros. 3? Another missing is Skyrim. The sheer playtime that has been racked up for that game is testament to the fact it is a great game.

Mass Effect 3? Really? ... it's kind of funny to see Medal of Honor: Allied Assault off the list, given that was what I consider the spiritual beginning of both CoD and the Battlefield series. And, yes, the question must be asked: Where is Super Mario Bros. 3?

Yeah, agree for sure.

I'm also wondering where Monkey Island is.

Decent list, but obviously it's subjective.

All-TIME 100 greatest video games

Um, how come every time I that list games that where on there in the past are no long on the list? Come on, "ALL-TIME GREATEST", WTF!? Shouldn't they increase the count?, like, hey, "254 greatest games all-time".:confused:

Best or most influential? I can see a lot of those being very influential, popular and a decent game. But, there are others that are niche games that were 100x better. I don't look at the list as the best. Mention Angry Birds and everyone knows what you're talking about. Mention Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Unreal, etc.. and people don't really know what you're talking about. People know Doom, Mortal Kombat, Oregon Trail, etc..

Not a bad list actually. Can't please everybody. No Sim City is kinda silly though.

Biggest omission to me is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Also, I don't necessarily think its one of the greatest games, but I think SOCOM should make the list. I think it always gets omitted because the franchise is largely dead and a lot of people never realized how popular and important SOCOM was at the time.

It was never HALO or COD, but that is because no online multiplayer shooter had paved a path yet on consoles. SOCOM did that and it created a huge community around the game at the time. IIRC it was bigger than any other game back then having over 100k users at peak times.

Back