IE 10 For Windows 7 Preview

IE11 slated to be Windows 8 exclusive

Why not Windows 3.11... Given the shaft once again. Trumpet + Mosaic or Netscape Navigator = bliss.I am curious as to how those old ass browsers would render some pages, if at all.

Without going through the install process, does it over-write IE9 or is it a separate browser?

Without going through the install process, does it over-write IE9 or is it a separate browser?

If it's anything like IE9 previews, it does it's own independent install. You'd have to import things into it. But, if it fails, you can fall back on IE9.

Zarathustra[H];1039322721 said:
No thanks. :p

I'll just stick to Chrome.

IE10 is a damn good browser and definitely not the browser that was shit from times past. Personally, though, I'm sticking with Chrome, too. I have too much invested (took a lot to get me from Firefox, too) with plug ins, add on's and things like that.

Same crappy layout as the last couple of versions. I'll pass.

I've been using Chrome at home for a little while and I still hate how it handles bookmarks. In the latest versions you can't use your scroll wheel to cycle through them either.
I know Google doesn't like bookmarks (they'd rather you search instead) but it's annoying.
The more valid options we have the better.

It's an awesome browser.

ie-troll-meme-generator-internet-explorer-is-the-best-browser-to-download-others-with-6f10f9.jpg

I've been using Chrome at home for a little while and I still hate how it handles bookmarks. In the latest versions you can't use your scroll wheel to cycle through them either.
I know Google doesn't like bookmarks (they'd rather you search instead) but it's annoying.

^ this

But recently I had this happen: HDD fail. Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Chrome. All add-ons, favs, etc all "magically" reappear. Can IE10 do that? Chrome is far from perfect, and too many high-volume sites don't really support it, but there are some things that really set it apart.

I'll try IE10. When I buy a new laptop with Win X. Oh wait, they'd have to use the number 10 or they might get sued by Apple, for you know, using Roman numerals and stuff. Because the use of Roman numerals has never been done before ever.

Ahh,

I never use bookmarks.

I either memorize the address of the site I am visiting (Chromes frequently visited start page is great for this) or search.

I used to save bookmarks all the time but over time I have figured out that I never actually use them.

Man so much h8terade going around in this thread.

Admittedly, IE has had a rough time, but well deserved. IE6 sucked. IE7 wasn't that much better. IE8&9 are good, but they gave the lead to Firefox and Chrome. It's hard to earn back a reputation after killing it. IE killed Netscape and had no/little reason to improve or compete for a bit. They rested on their laurels and paid for it.

After reading all these comments, I am amazed that no one talked about the flaw of the news article. Perhaps nobody read the article before commenting.

IE11 slated to be Windows 8 exclusive

Extremely unlikely to come to fruition for the following reasons;

1) Win 7 install base > Win 8 and will continue to be so for some years.
2) There is absolutely nothing that Win 8 can do that win 7 cannot. The only reason why IE dropped support for XP was due to limitations of the OS. Win 7 is not currently hampered by such limitations given current technology.
3) The last thing MS needs at this point is to alienate even more of their user base then they already have.

2) There is absolutely nothing that Win 8 can do that win 7 cannot. The only reason why IE dropped support for XP was due to limitations of the OS. Win 7 is not currently hampered by such limitations given current technology.

You need to read up on Win RT. ;) , but back to the point, IE may now be closing in or Webkit, Mozilla.

If ie still doesn't have even rudimentary session management then I care not what version is out.

yay another browser to render things different than everything else

No Thanks. I'll stick with Firefox. It's not that I don't trust MS to give me a good browser, but....well, yeah, actually it is just that.

Why not Windows 3.11... Given the shaft once again. Trumpet + Mosaic or Netscape Navigator = bliss.I am curious as to how those old ass browsers would render some pages, if at all.
If JavaScript is disabled, usably.

Reinstall Chrome. All add-ons, favs, etc all "magically" reappear. Can IE10 do that?
I'm really glad it doesn't. I'd prefer to spend the minute to copy my backed-up favs and load add-ons over the sacrifice in privacy.

I'm really glad it doesn't. I'd prefer to spend the minute to copy my backed-up favs and load add-ons over the sacrifice in privacy.

Which is great when you don't have an HDD failure. And no, I don't manually make backups of my stuff.

I'll concede though that I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that Google knows how many hairs I have in my ass crack and I don't, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Extremely unlikely to come to fruition for the following reasons;

1) Win 7 install base > Win 8 and will continue to be so for some years.
3) The last thing MS needs at this point is to alienate even more of their user base then they already have.

It was partly a DX11 joke. But hey, look at that, DX11 is windows 8 exclusive and not because of technical limitations.

IE 10 is blah, still prefer fiefox and SR Iron. IE 10 is horrible on Windows 8 well at least the stupid metro implementation. IE 10 has be so good for me that I uninstalled it on 8 and installed SR Iron.

recently I had this happen: HDD fail. Reinstall Windows. Reinstall Chrome. All add-ons, favs, etc all "magically" reappear. Can IE10 do that?

Yup, its been able to do that since IE9 on Windows 7 (as soon as you install Windows live Essentials), or IE10 on Windows 8 (out of the box)

Thought I would D/L and install IE-10 for my wife's geneology, since she uses it, but can't find a link in the HardOCP posting, or by going to Windows 7 downloads?

Wish MS would import all of the custom configuration settings when moving from one version to another. MS seems to have eliminated the ability to stop the moving, shaking ads on a page with IE10 (from IE8). Now in order to stop all that movement, a user needs to uninstall Flash, Shockwave, and all of the other software completely. Is that really what MS wants from its users?

Back