YouTube Pulling The Plug On 60% Of Its Channels

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that YouTube has plans to trim the fat soon. Why do you just know all the stuff you like will get axed while they keep all the cringeworthy channels. Ugh.

Channels that don’t get new deals won’t get kicked off YouTube, and executives say they hope content makers will continue producing stuff for the site. In the cases where YouTube hasn’t recouped its initial programming outlay, the site will continue to collect 100 percent of any revenue generated by the videos it paid for.

shame really as some good tv content on there ( not that I would of been helping much on the money making side of youtube )

guess you still got torrents

shame really as some good tv content on there ( not that I would of been helping much on the money making side of youtube )

guess you still got torrents

I think all of YouTube's "channel" content is user-created; none of it is produced or at least aired by traditional television companies.

I think all of YouTube's "channel" content is user-created; none of it is produced or at least aired by traditional television companies.

Yes its all stuff youtube prepays to have created. vs the nonchannel stuff that "you" create out of pocket and get part of the sales revenue.

as long as Hanna Minx keeps her tits on you tube I'm all good. Her video's are so good on mute.

From some of the people I've worked with who have youtube channels: youtube supplies a stipend to budget for videos, and has a schedule for video makers to adhere to. It is up to the channel artist to organize the production and content of videos.

They can start with PewDiePie... Unwatchable shlock...

I don't understand all the hate he gets.

His playthroughs of Heavy Rain and the first four episodes of The Walking Dead series were phenomenal. In between cracking jokes, he offered up some truly insightful comments on what was going on, and at some points seemed to be genuinely affected by what was happening (he teared up a couple of times during Heavy Rain, and once during The Walking Dead.)

His horror playthroughs do get a bit old (after all, you can only watch someone girly scream so many times before it becomes meh), but he's purposely branching out from them. For example: he's currently playing through Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit) and Shadow of the Colossus. That being said, I appreciate that he tends to stick to lesser-known horror games, Ao Oni and Ib being the standouts.

I know that most of his viewers are young teens, but that's why I stay out of the comments :D (I'm 28)

To me the reason I don't really lik ehim is he seems fake, The whole jumping out of his chair, screaming loudly, crying, it all seems like just acting and people actually believe he's getitng thta scared by a video game.

To me the reason I don't really lik ehim is he seems fake, The whole jumping out of his chair, screaming loudly, crying, it all seems like just acting and people actually believe he's getitng thta scared by a video game.

He's partially acting...he's said in a few different interviews that it's tough to do horror videos every day, since they require him to be so energetic. If you watch his early videos (his playthrough of Dead Space 2 is a good example), you can tell that he actually does get really frightened, but his reaction is far less crazy than it tends to be these days.

That's why I like his non-horror playthroughs...it's in those games (again, like Heavy Rain and Shadow of the Colossus), that he seems to be most genuine.

Hope they don't touch the Overclock 3D channel. Stumbled on to that guy a few weeks ago looking for Piledriver reviews and like it. He gets a little long winded sometimes but I like the way he does his reviews and I generally get more out of his than many of the review sites out there. That's really about the only channel I subscribe to aside from Newegg's.

The people can continue if they want to, it's just that Youtube isn't fronting them more money. It's just like TV if it's not making money or at least showing promise it's getting cut.

You guys should check out the Nerdist channel or bammo or something for an example of one of the sponsored channels that they are talking about with this news. It is not just random channels, or even about people that are youtube partners (getting paid for videos). These were channels specifically put together with youtube seed money and people running them (like a business) to market to a specific demographic, often with multiple people contributing shows and stuff.

You guys should check out the Nerdist channel or bammo or something for an example of one of the sponsored channels that they are talking about with this news. It is not just random channels, or even about people that are youtube partners (getting paid for videos). These were channels specifically put together with youtube seed money and people running them (like a business) to market to a specific demographic, often with multiple people contributing shows and stuff.

Yea, I hope the NErdist isn't one of them, I needs my Startalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

He's partially acting...he's said in a few different interviews that it's tough to do horror videos every day, since they require him to be so energetic. If you watch his early videos (his playthrough of Dead Space 2 is a good example), you can tell that he actually does get really frightened, but his reaction is far less crazy than it tends to be these days.

That's why I like his non-horror playthroughs...it's in those games (again, like Heavy Rain and Shadow of the Colossus), that he seems to be most genuine.

His off the cuff racial/derogatory/Swedish/and often times ignorant remarks are pretty much fake. But I think most of the times where he has jumped out of his chair is real.

It's a shame that aspect of his show is slowly dying off whether it is due to him playing non-horror games or being accustomed to them. Seeing him pretty much shit his pants was what made his channel for me.

I personally could live without most channels. Only ones I am actually excited to watch these days are Morfar, MinnesotaBurns, and Gootecks. Two of which would probably still make videos without the money.

It's a shame that aspect of his show is slowly dying off whether it is due to him playing non-horror games or being accustomed to them. Seeing him pretty much shit his pants was what made his channel for me.

I love watching him bang his knees on his desk and send his webcam flying as much as the next guy (as in, it still makes me laugh maniacally even after seeing it multiple times), but after having seen literally every single video he's uploaded, I'm glad to see him expanding beyond just straight horror games.

How can you even tell if a "channel" is home made independent stuff or paid for by youtube? They call everything a channel but the article says there are only 160 "real" youtube channels.

How can you even tell if a "channel" is home made independent stuff or paid for by youtube? They call everything a channel but the article says there are only 160 "real" youtube channels.

Good point Looking through some of my favorites I can't tell.

Minutephysics
nathanjbarnatt
CGPGray
1veritasium
Vsauce
Guitaryman
SuperguitarBro's
Brett Domino TV
lonlonjp

Of those, I have only heard of CGPGray which is fantastic. I would doubt it is official because the frequency of the show is low but then again, there is a high production cost to that show (with all the graphics) so I am not sure what to believe.

I watch evening news form European TV channels, and some sitcoms/serials from EU countries. It's the only way to watch them, they're uploaded by individuals. Recently I've noticed with dismay that most of these accounts are being shut down with some vague excuses of copyright infringement. Corporate america is incredibly dumb.

I watch evening news form European TV channels, and some sitcoms/serials from EU countries. It's the only way to watch them, they're uploaded by individuals. Recently I've noticed with dismay that most of these accounts are being shut down with some vague excuses of copyright infringement. Corporate america is incredibly dumb.

Indeed.

"Hey boss, looks like people are uploading more recordings from our channel again, so that people in other countries can watch. Want me to get accounting on the phone and figure out how much it would cost vs how much we could make if we offered an online subscription to these folks?"

"Screw that, I want those videos taken down. NOW."

Dur-hey.

Indeed.

"Hey boss, looks like people are uploading more recordings from our channel again, so that people in other countries can watch. Want me to get accounting on the phone and figure out how much it would cost vs how much we could make if we offered an online subscription to these folks?"

"Screw that, I want those videos taken down. NOW."

Dur-hey.

Thank you. Can you explain that some more? These are broadcasts that millions watch for fee on TV. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee as an internet subscriber, except I watch programs from 2-dozen stations so that wouldn't work, BUT youtube can work out an agreement with them as a middle man to re-broadcast their programs, so I'd pay only youtube. Because there is no way I'm gonna sit in front of my comuter and watch commercials.

I wouldn't mind

Back