Happy 8th Birthday Firefox!

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ahh….I can remember when you were just a kit. That’s right; Firefox has now been on the scene for eight years, with many users swearing by the browser, while others just swear at it. :D

The core goal of Mozilla through Firefox was to create an open source community that gives developers and consumers a choice in how they want to interact with the Web. Firefox continues to meet that goal.

Wow! I could have sworn Firefox 1.0 had been around longer than eight years. I probably started using it around the 0.9 release.

Yaay! Happy B-day Firefox! I'm pretty sure that a version number increase is the right way to celebrate.

SHIT THIS MAKES ME FEEL OLD!

I remember when Firefox first came about...I was 17-18...:(

Getting old sucks...and unfortunately so does Firefox now...

I think I started using it with version 2. It is still the only browser I use both at work and home.

I only use firefox. Great UI (with Walnut theme) and great addons. In addition not being owned by a major corporation is a big plus.

Too about 7 years to get to 3 versions... took another 1 year to get another 13 versions.

Too about 7 years to get to 3 versions... took another 1 year to get another 13 versions.

But you are arguing semantics more than anything. What would have been the difference between, say, 3.5.3 and 3.6 would now be represented by a complete version increase, something like moving from 17 to 18. Other than being annoyed by the larger version number, I don't see how this is a bad thing in any way, or how it even matters at all.

it's been my main browser for years. Once in a while i gotta do something in explorer (for compatibility issues). Only one thing - the last few versions with the latest flash have crashed for me. I got to install an older version of flash for it to be stable.

They should celebrate by firing whoever has had stewardship of the browser for the past roughly 3 years. Especially if they want to see it to another 8 years.

Used to be my primary browser. Now my computer feels 8 years older whenever I try browsing the net with Firefox :(

So Firefox is only 8 years old and yet has seen everything every user using it has browsed, let alone just what I've alone had on my own screen(s)?

Shit, talk about a fucked up youth!

Seems like I gave it a try after hearing about Adblock (version 1ish?). Haven't looked back since. It was also pretty easy since I used Netscape Navigator a lot when I was running Win 98 with dialup.

I haven't liked the newest version much, I switch back and forth from firefox to google chrome leaning more to chrome so far

Happy B Day, my favorite browser.

Can't wait for Firefox OS.

I used firefox about 8 years ago, been a fan of IE ever sice.

That's about it.

i used it for a while before they screwed it up, than i went to chrome, it's been treating me nice might check firefox sometime see how it's doing.

But you are arguing semantics more than anything. What would have been the difference between, say, 3.5.3 and 3.6 would now be represented by a complete version increase, something like moving from 17 to 18. Other than being annoyed by the larger version number, I don't see how this is a bad thing in any way, or how it even matters at all.

Yes but major version changes historically mean that you get major changes to your product, this is the way all software works. Now I'm not saying Firefox went through 13 major changes in the past year, I honestly think the FIrefox guys are just doing this to get a really big number and break the system of how things are done thinking they're being clever.

Yep, 208MB with four tabs open (two [H], one Anand and streaming Grooveshark) is killing my 16GB of ram...:rolleyes:

That's like 4x the memory IE9 needs. :( They really should do something about making their browser use less RAM. In Linux it pretty much does the same thing, using a bunch of RAM to do nothing, even without the Flash junk installed. Since a whole lot of people don't have 16 GB of RAM, it's totally sad that they just don't care at all about making it more memory friendly.

Back