Thermalright True Spirit 120M CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermalright True Spirit 120M CPU Air Cooler Review - Thermalright holds the crown when it comes to our favorite CPU air cooler companies over the years. It has engineered some gems over the last decade that we have reviewed its products. Today we have its new, and very small, True Spirit 120M processor cooler that if works well, will be a great value for Ivy Bridge cooling.

I just did a build with this HSF (see sig). It's quiet, it cools very well, great price - but now I remember why I stopped buying Thermalright back in the Socket A days... mounting was less than simple. Once done, it's solid as all get out.

My results mirror the review. I would recommend it for a new build for sure for those sticking with air.

Hey how come the charts aren't labeled? What if I was a moron and didn't know why there are short bars and long bars for the same cooler? lol

How does this thing compare to the Hyper 212? That's the current reigning "bang for the buck" cooler. This new Thermalright kock it off its perch?

How does this thing compare to the Hyper 212? That's the current reigning "bang for the buck" cooler. This new Thermalright kock it off its perch?

Honestly, their other coolers are almost identical to the Hyper 212. I was comparing them and the only major difference is that the 212 was easier to mount.

How does this new tower compare to their older versions? Like the True Black for example. (like I have)

Hey [H] I think you guys are wrong on this one.

The True Spirit line of coolers is legendary and for good reason. Its lineage goes back all the way to the 2009 when a group of engineers in collaboration with Thermalright produced the original True Spirit. Here's what I had to say back then of the original:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Thermalright-Ultra-120-CPU-Heatsink-Review

The real lineage of this heatsink is the Ultra series which goes all the way back to 2006.

Also thanks a bunch for doing this review, I had seen this on Nan's website and was wondering how good it is.

Is the 145mm height correct. Hyper 212+ / EVO is 160mm I believe
15 mm isn't much but there are cases where every bit helps.

I get a listing of 6.3 inch = 160mm from the Thermalright True Spirit 120 specs I looked at.
Um, another review lists 156mm tall for the 120.
Thermalright lists the 120 at 160mm on their site, no 120M listing.

There is a True Spirit 90 listed at 124mm tall.

Press release definitely lists the 120M as 145mm tall. Conflicts with no changes statement?
Rulers??

There is a True Spirit 90 listed at 124mm tall.

Press release definitely lists the 120M as 145mm tall. Conflicts with no changes statement?
Rulers??

I should have some time after work tonight. I'll see if I can get some measurements. I know with my old case, the tips of the heat pipes are about 1mm from the side. Need a new case...

Honestly, their other coolers are almost identical to the Hyper 212. I was comparing them and the only major difference is that the 212 was easier to mount.

I HATED installing the 212 EVO. I even 'phoned my friend up to say how much of an ordeal it was to install

Hey [H] I think you guys are wrong on this one.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Thermalright-Ultra-120-CPU-Heatsink-Review
The real lineage of this heatsink is the Ultra series which goes all the way back to 2006.

Also thanks a bunch for doing this review, I had seen this on Nan's website and was wondering how good it is.
I have one of the old Ultra 120 setting on the shelf! But don't have the original fan. It's much heavier than the new coolers (735g naked). New TS120 is like 620g thermalright.de; 485g and TS120M is 470g w/fan :eek: on thermalright.com :confused:

Is this available to purchase anywhere in Europe? I can't seem to find any retailers with the 120M in stock.

Back