Netflix Moves to Block a Hostile Takeover

HardOCP News

[H] News
After what we've seen out of Netflix over the last year, I'm not so sure a hostile takeover would be a bad thing.

Less than a week after activist investor Carl Icahn announced a 10 percent stake in Netflix, the online video company is moving to protect itself against hostile takeovers. Under the plan, rights are exercisable if a person or group acquires 10 percent of Netflix, or 20 percent in the case of institutional investors, in a deal not approved by the board.

Problem is many hostile takeovers are conducted to eliminate a competitor.

Exactly.

Not sure what Carl Icahn is up to in this case, but he has a long track record of doing shitty deals.

His MO is something like this:

1.) Invest lots of money in company.

2.) Push for major shortsighted move resulting in short term benefits. and temporary increase in share prices.

3.) Cash out making millions.

4.) Abandon the company in worse shape than it was in, due to shortsighted move in #2.

Nobody cares.

If netflix had new movies and TV shows on, cool, great

But it doesn't, so nobody cares anymore.

It did -WHEN IT LAUNCHED- but now movie studios etc wised up to how much money is to be made online, and netflix is like a $10 online only version of TVLAND reruns channel

Nobody cares.

It did -WHEN IT LAUNCHED- but now movie studios etc wised up to how much money is to be made online, and netflix is like a $10 online only version of TVLAND reruns channel

I still appreciate Netflix.

I haven't watched that many movies on it due to the issues you mention, but I sure watch a lot of TV shows.

I got caught up to season 5 of Breaking Bad on Netflix.

I also got coaught up through season 5 of Doctor Who on Netflix.

I've been watching Torchwood on it as well (not as much of a fan of this show, but its a good distraction)

The problem is that you are expecting from Netflix, something that it can never be.

If you want all the latest movies, unlimited Netflix would need to be a $89.99 /month service, not a $8.99 per month service.

If you appreciate it for what it is, and not for what it is not, its actually pretty good!

I use Netflix weekly; and in the cold weather... daily.

I have no clue where the "no one cares" thing comes from.

Getting to watch TV Shows I couldn't normally is great; and well worth the monthly fee.

Zarathustra[H];1039296226 said:

I've been watching Torchwood on it as well (not as much of a fan of this show, but its a good distraction)

That chunky dark haired girl? I'll say she is a distraction!

I haven't watched that many movies on it due to the issues you mention, but I sure watch a lot of TV shows.

The problem is that you are expecting from Netflix, something that it can never be.

If you want all the latest movies, unlimited Netflix would need to be a $89.99 /month service, not a $8.99 per month service.

If you appreciate it for what it is, and not for what it is not, its actually pretty good!

Exactly this. It's a useful service for me and the wife, and the kids certainly like the kids' stuff they have.

I love Netflix and use it daily. Have been considering dumping Cable and going full streaming. I probably just need a decent HTPC. Currently using a PS3, but it can't do all the streaming services I need to eliminate cable.

Have to admit much of NetFlix streaming content is pretty Blaah movie wise. But I do like the science, historical and similar content. So overall I'm OK with streaming. I wish they would offered 3D Blu-Rays and even 3D streaming.
VuDu does this but it is on an expensive per view basis. No thanks.

Not to mention murder mysteries.

HOLY CRAP they have a lot of streaming murder mysteries. Wife just finished 'Rosemary and Thyme', which she loved. Currently working our way through 'Midsomer Murders' (which is just awesome - fun game to guess how high the always-preposterously-high body count goes each episode!). Have the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes as well as David Suchet's Poirot, too. As well as the newer stuff, which is more 'meh', but still entertaining - Inspector Lewis, Sherlock, etc.

Definitely still very awesome if you like murder mysteries...

I agree with you on appreciating Netflix streaming for what it is. For $9/month I get access to a huge video library. The content does tend to lag behind on new releases, but it's $9/month, buying one new release at the store costs more than that.

I would disagree that Netflix can't ever have new releases. As TV becomes IPTV so many possibilities will eventually become realities. Change will be slow, big media companies tend to lumber around while technology and profits pass them by, but the technology is here and change is happening. A company like Netflix could easily offer a $90 video streaming service with all sorts of first run programming, "live" streaming channels, etc. The exact details of how such services will work remain to be seen but it's a matter of when, not if.

perhaps it's because of better deals.. but here in canada even the movies are not that out of date, depending on the studio some are usually 3-6 months behind dvd release ... I can tolerate that wait.

I agree with you on appreciating Netflix streaming for what it is. For $9/month I get access to a huge video library. The content does tend to lag behind on new releases, but it's $9/month, buying one new release at the store costs more than that.

I would disagree that Netflix can't ever have new releases. As TV becomes IPTV so many possibilities will eventually become realities. Change will be slow, big media companies tend to lumber around while technology and profits pass them by, but the technology is here and change is happening. A company like Netflix could easily offer a $90 video streaming service with all sorts of first run programming, "live" streaming channels, etc. The exact details of how such services will work remain to be seen but it's a matter of when, not if.

I agree, I probably should have phrased it differently.

If Netflix cost what a full featured cable package costs in its entirety, then it could likely offer new movie content.

I don't see that happening though.

More likely, they will move to a model where the basic service is cheap with many unlimited tv shows and older movies, but with premium content that costs extra per view (or per rental which lasts a week, or something like that)

Nobody cares.

Because the best way to improve the availability in that market is to remove the dominant player? :eek: ... my queue is always full for both streaming and discs ... different strokes for different folks I guess I actually like Netflix and would like them to get better not be pushed out of business in favor of Amazon, Hulu, or iTunes :(

Zarathustra[H];1039296454 said:
More likely, they will move to a model where the basic service is cheap with many unlimited tv shows and older movies, but with premium content that costs extra per view (or per rental which lasts a week, or something like that)

I agree with you as well :D that's a likely next step. Even that sort of change won't be easy, some will inevitably be upset at any new content not added to the standard unlimited streaming. But any sort cable equivalent open IPTV service is surely several years and possibly decades off due to the cable providers applying what pressure they can to slow down such progress and backwards thinking media execs willing to leave money on the table just because they're more focused on how to not lose what they already have than they are in finding and cultivating new revenue streams. It's a common attitude for any established industry, but it's just amazing when you think about how much money has been and is still being left on the proverbial table IMO.

Nobody cares.

Just because you don't care doesn't mean no one does.

I agree with you as well :D that's a likely next step. Even that sort of change won't be easy, some will inevitably be upset at any new content not added to the standard unlimited streaming. But any sort cable equivalent open IPTV service is surely several years and possibly decades off due to the cable providers applying what pressure they can to slow down such progress and backwards thinking media execs willing to leave money on the table just because they're more focused on how to not lose what they already have than they are in finding and cultivating new revenue streams. It's a common attitude for any established industry, but it's just amazing when you think about how much money has been and is still being left on the proverbial table IMO.

Back in the British industrial revolution, when the luddites rioted and started burning automated textile mills, the government responded by making "Machine Breaking" a capital crime by the Frame Breaking Act and the Malicious Damage Act of 1812. Many were put to death or exiled to Australia for this activity.

These days, media businesses get away with digging their heels in and resisting the advancement of technology, with government support.

While seemingly opposite government actions, one theme remains the same. Government protects those with the most money to buy the protection from government. It was true when it came to the mill owners of the industrial revolution, and its true today.

best thing I have seen on Netflix is Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
Also watch Hey Arnold and MST3k.

other than that I am almost ready to dump it.

best thing I have seen on Netflix is Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
Also watch Hey Arnold and MST3k.

other than that I am almost ready to dump it.

Since your willing to accept Nickolodean shows. Check out Phineas and Ferb, and then my favorite, Avatar The Last Airbender. P&F is good for light humor. Avatar is an exceptional, if not one of the best animes of all time (especially considering its American).

lol, I enjoy netflix, but my kid LOVES it. Me and my wife enjoy watching xfiles together, and my kid just has a hayday witht he kid selection, between cailou, cat in the hat, dora and ect he can (and will if I let him) watch it for hours on end.

Let's see, they still have about what, 90,000 movies I haven't seen yet, not to mention the streaming. So o.k., I'll keep using them.

I use Netflix weekly; and in the cold weather... daily.

I have no clue where the "no one cares" thing comes from.

Getting to watch TV Shows I couldn't normally is great; and well worth the monthly fee.

People care or they wouldn't be here. Truth is Netflix offers more content then any competing service. People still use Netflix all the time and most just jump on the latest company bashing trends. I thought Netflix was right to separate their digital and physical plans, but people are cheap and always want things to remain the same. Sure they can improve some things, but they are leagues above anyone else atm.

$8 is a very small price to pay especially for ad-free children's programming to save them from 20mins per hour of commercials and having them recite to me word-for-word stuff they have no clue about.

$8 is a very small price to pay especially for ad-free children's programming to save them from 20mins per hour of commercials and having them recite to me word-for-word stuff they have no clue about.

Well said.

Back