OpenBSD 5.2 Released this Week

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We are pleased to announce the official release of OpenBSD 5.2. This is our 32nd release on CD-ROM. We remain proud of OpenBSD's record of more than ten years with only two remote holes in the default install. As in our previous releases, 5.2 provides significant improvements, including new features, in nearly all areas of the system. The most significant change in this release is the replacement of the user-level uthreads by kernel-level rthreads, allowing multithreaded programs to utilize multiple CPUs/cores.

Is this for people who think Linux is too mainstream?

From what I've seen, UNIX OSes tend to be far more stable than most variants and branches of Linux.
However, UNIX OSes tend to be much more rigid and manipulating them to do what you want can get a little iffy without losing the stability.

From what I've found, UNIX OSes such as OpenBSD tend to be build on systems designed for just one thing (SMP processing, firewall, database, data-store/ZFS, etc.), but will do that one thing incredibly well, better than Linux can.
I'm not saying it can't multitask, but Linux tends to handle multiple tasks along with more manipulation far better while still remaining stable.

From what I've seen, UNIX OSes tend to be far more stable than most variants and branches of Linux.
However, UNIX OSes tend to be much more rigid and manipulating them to do what you want can get a little iffy without losing the stability.

From what I've found, UNIX OSes such as OpenBSD tend to be build on systems designed for just one thing (SMP processing, firewall, database, data-store/ZFS, etc.), but will do that one thing incredibly well, better than Linux can.
I'm not saying it can't multitask, but Linux tends to handle multiple tasks along with more manipulation far better while still remaining stable.

What do you have against UNIX being rigid? :(

Back