PC Modded Into A Book

20 years ago, this would have been cool in school.
pretend you're reading a book, but really playing nintendo.

those days couldn't pass quickly enough.

You forgot to mention the most important part of this story. It is a Myst book that plays the Myst games. That is really cool (especially if you ever spent hours playing them back in the day).

Brings back memories of playing Myst for hours on end. Like the book idea! I used to put squirt guns in books.

Well, I can cross that one off my bucket list... I’ve been featured on [H]. After all these years. So happy right now. XD You can see more pictures & tech specs [URL="http://www.riumplus.com/mystbook”]at my website[/URL].

It’s not just that it’s a PC in a book - it’s a replica of the Myst linking book. Obviously Steve’s not familiar with the game, hehe. The screen is that size because it exactly mirrors the look of the original in-game asset.
180px-MystBookLink.jpg

For what it’s worth, the space inside this book’s only 12cm wide. The source book is a copy of the exact same 135-year-old book Cyan used as a texture reference, that’s 24ct gold filling the embossing, and most of the internal components are either high-end embedded gear or I had them custom-made to my specifications. Even though it’s entirely passively cooled, it has enough grunt to run Half Life 2 at 30fps+. The 13cm 640x480 screen isn’t that hard to play on - it’s larger and has more pixels than many phones & people don’t have any trouble gaming on those, hehe.

Also, I’m not seriously looking to sell it - that price is just there to stop the people who say “I want it, I will buy it off you, how much, I’ll give you $200, be thankful, I’m doing you a favour that’s way more than it’s worth” (which has seriously happened, many times). Though considering minimum wage & the fact that I spent many hundreds of hours on this project, it’s not far off the mark heh. But if someone wants to pay me 15k to sell out, then sure it’s theirs :p

I know you were going for a exact replica, but I think the opposite page would have looked good with the island map on it or something..

Back