MPAA Against Giving Megaupload Users Access To Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know how any former Megaupload customer can expect access to their data while the case is ongoing. Does it suck having to wait until the case is over? Yeah. Is this standard operating procedure? Yes.

The MPAA said today that while it takes no position on Goodwin's request to have his own copyrighted videos returned, it wants to participate in the hearing to describe "the overwhelming amount of infringement of the MPAA members' copyrighted work on Megaupload."

Is it just me or does the media intentionally uses pictures of Kim Dotcom that make his head look like a huge holiday ham with eye slits?

they do
they want to demonize him as much as they can so people have a harder time taking his side
he was a little old lady there would be rioting in the streets over this

oh and this is part that really gets me
"the overwhelming amount of infringement of the MPAA members' copyrighted work on Megaupload."

but you know MU acted on MORE DMCA take downs then ALL THE OTHER FILE LOCKER SITES COMBINED
its not like they didnt put forth good faith here
they picked him because hes easy to hate and once they have a win they will go after every one else

Is it just me or does the media intentionally uses pictures of Kim Dotcom that make his head look like a huge holiday ham with eye slits?

It's probably sorta hard to find flattering photos of him and maybe his head always looks like a huge holiday ham with eye slits. :eek:

but you know MU acted on MORE DMCA take downs then ALL THE OTHER FILE LOCKER SITES COMBINED
they picked him because hes easy to hate and once they have a win they will go after every one else

Which is what I saw .. if there was a pirated file on MegaUpload, it was rarely there very long.

They also went after him because he's big. If a big company goes down, it's easier to intimidate others smaller ones.

There were a lot of reasons they went after MU besides that it was one of the biggest. Kim as its head was a very easy target to demonize. He's not American, he changed his name to what many see as a stupid (perhaps even somewhat crazy) name, it was easier to go after than many of the other sites located in less-inclined to help nations, he was wealthy from the site and sites he had made prior (that is to say, successful, which is a bad thing), a gamer, fat, not a looker, isn't part of a group that would make rights groups mad, had been previously convicted of crimes, a hacker of sorts, oh, and German. Because Germans always are the villain. All of those made him less appealing to protest for and more likely for people to be less inclined to sympathize with him. He's done a lot of shady things and isn't exactly a model guy, but with all of that combined they were able to use him as a perfect example of what happens if you go against the "IP" system. The whole thing stinks to high heaven from all angles but I strongly disagree with using him as a scapegoat or example. And I most especially, vehemently disagree with the usage of Megaupload as a means of scaring file sharing sites out of business or territories. That's absolutely wrong.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is stupid to think these people will ever get their data back?

Wait... actually no I do not think that. I think these people are stupid for thinking MegaUpload was some backup service and did not store copies of their data in some other location or with a service that actually advertises itself as a backup location. I hope these people don't get their data back because of their own complete stupidity.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is stupid to think these people will ever get their data back?

Wait... actually no I do not think that. I think these people are stupid for thinking MegaUpload was some backup service and did not store copies of their data in some other location or with a service that actually advertises itself as a backup location. I hope these people don't get their data back because of their own complete stupidity.

So today at my job i had a woman nearly die while giving birth. I really wished she would have bled to death, it's her own fault for deciding to get another child even tho she suffered from strong uteri atonia in the past.

So today at my job i had a woman nearly die while giving birth. I really wished she would have bled to death, it's her own fault for deciding to get another child even tho she suffered from strong uteri atonia in the past.

Yes, because that'd totally be the same as being negligent with one's data :rolleyes: It's one thing to wish data loss for stupidity on someone and totally different thing to wish death on someone for stupidity.

A lot of people think they picked him because of his new service he was generating called...DropBox.com or something long those lines? Where music artists could upload their songs and people legally download them at like $0.99 cents or whatever price they set where the lions share of the profit was going to the artists. The result was a relatively effective efficient DRM-free delivery system designed to be so-easy to support your artists and so-easy to obtain--if successful--would have cut out the need for the music industry all together. AKA one of the primary financeers of the MPAA.

I think with current record sales /wrt to how much artists get and MegaUpload was charging, songs could literately be priced at $0.20 and artists would still make the same profit as using a 'record label'. If songs were $0.20 to BUY in loseless formats and the majority of the money is going to artists, really people lose much of the motivation/cause/reason to pirate.

Eh..... severity is different but it is technically the similar.

The comment was stupid, and the reply was equally stupid. While the second seem to use it in an ironic way to prove the former.

That said, it's not like MegaUpload lost the data they had, it was taken by force, in an illegal fashion by the government. If you were to put it into another similar situation. It'd be like the government coming to your house and taking your car because they think it might have drugs in it. Then not giving it back...

I believe the service was MegaBox. Which is what he said recently he's gonna open up soon. You have to admit, the timing seems to be oddly coinciding, if not it wasn't true.

Eh..... severity is different but it is technically the similar.
No, really, it's not even in the same ballpark :p Not unless you have some amazing moral system that places zero value on life. You might as well compare a dog shit to a hot dog because they are both dog related.
That said, it's not like MegaUpload lost the data they had, it was taken by force, in an illegal fashion by the government. If you were to put it into another similar situation. It'd be like the government coming to your house and taking your car because they think it might have drugs in it. Then not giving it back...
We're talking about data backup here, lets not get tied up in meaningless analogies.

If you have your data on a hard drive and only one hard drive and it dies, bad fucking luck, if the data meant something to you, you should have backed it up on another drive. If the computer kills both drives randomly, bad fucking luck, if it meant that much to you, you should have stored it externally or on another computer. If your house burns down and you lose all your data, bad fucking luck, you should have backed it up off site if the data was so incredibly important that you're worried about it even after you've lost your home and possessions. If your only form of data storage was with a questionable online service and the data was lost, bad fucking luck, you should have had at LEAST a local backup, if the data was stolen, bad fucking luck, why were you trusting an unknown external company with your data if security was that vital.

The only people I might have sympathy for are the people who managed to lose their local storage AND megaupload within a short period of time (short enough that they realistically couldn't buy another form of backup in the mean time).

Someone should sue the MPAA for restriction of business, im sure someones out of pocket from this (legit business)

It'd be like the government coming to your house and taking your car because they think it might have drugs in it. Then not giving it back...

I'd say it's more like them seizing the contents of an airliner's hold because they believe some of the passengers may have had drugs on it, and keeping your luggage as evidence regardless of whether it has drugs in it or not.

Although that actually sounds like something they'd do.

There should be a procedure for files to be checked by an independent third party - and if found to not be infringing - for them to be released. Of course that wouldn't be free (or even cheap) and unfortunately that cost would have to fall on those who wanted their data back. I guess it would depend on how much they wanted it.

I'd say it's more like them seizing the contents of an airliner's hold because they believe some of the passengers may have had drugs on it, and keeping your luggage as evidence regardless of whether it has drugs in it or not.

Although that actually sounds like something they'd do.

There should be a procedure for files to be checked by an independent third party - and if found to not be infringing - for them to be released. Of course that wouldn't be free (or even cheap) and unfortunately that cost would have to fall on those who wanted their data back. I guess it would depend on how much they wanted it.

A better example would be a public storage rental place, since those (unlike the airlines) have nothing to do with the quasi-Schutzstaffel TSA. Just because 1 storage unit has drugs in it, doesn't mean you get to (indefinitely) seize EVERY storage unit in the building.

And once again someone makes a completely inappropriate comparison. :rolleyes:

A better example would be a public storage rental place, since those (unlike the airlines) have nothing to do with the quasi-Schutzstaffel TSA. Just because 1 storage unit has drugs in it, doesn't mean you get to (indefinitely) seize EVERY storage unit in the building.

If your computer was at a retail PC repair shop that was raided by the cops, your property becomes evidence and you have to wait until the conclusion of the case to get your stuff back. It happens all the time and has always been that way.

Sucks? Yes. The way it goes? Yup.

Someone should sue the MPAA for restriction of business, im sure someones out of pocket from this (legit business)

Your case would be against Megaupload, not the authorities. Same as above.

If you have your data on a hard drive and only one hard drive and it dies, bad fucking luck, if the data meant something to you, you should have backed it up on another drive. If the computer kills both drives randomly, bad fucking luck, if it meant that much to you, you should have stored it externally or on another computer. If your house burns down and you lose all your data, bad fucking luck, you should have backed it up off site if the data was so incredibly important that you're worried about it even after you've lost your home and possessions. If your only form of data storage was with a questionable online service and the data was lost, bad fucking luck, you should have had at LEAST a local backup, if the data was stolen, bad fucking luck, why were you trusting an unknown external company with your data if security was that vital.

The only people I might have sympathy for are the people who managed to lose their local storage AND megaupload within a short period of time (short enough that they realistically couldn't buy another form of backup in the mean time).

I was waiting for something like this, actually. Because people often compared copyright infringement to theft. So did you consider it theft? cuz you're separating it.

That said, not everyone has space to spare. You're condemning people who don't have a plethora of backups. It's stupid.

If it was just MU I would agree they did do more takedowns and responded to DMCA. However MV did not, and probably 90% (my personal guestimate) of links to material found on "link to material" sharing sites led to megavideo at the time of the takedown.

This is why I steer clear of the CLOUD crap, who's to say the provider of your CLOUD storage won't suddenly block you because they felt like it, or they pull the plug all together.

"They can't access their data because they are pirates. Pirates are bad. Pirates steam from us every time they listen to a song/watch a movie. Our multi-hundreds-of-billion dollars industry has been irreparably damaged by the downloading of files.

I was waiting for something like this, actually. Because people often compared copyright infringement to theft. So did you consider it theft? cuz you're separating it.
What? I did no such thing. I said "if the data was stolen", as in, a company or persons had private information on megaupload and it was taken. Nothing to do with copyright infringement.
That said, not everyone has space to spare. You're condemning people who don't have a plethora of backups. It's stupid.
Again, we're talking about data backup here, nothing more, nothing less, if data is important to you, YOU BACK IT UP. If data is VERY important to you, YOU BACK IT UP OFF SITE in addition to locally. I'm not saying everyone should have 50 trillion back ups of everything they do, but if something is important to you, you back it up accordingly. I don't back up my Steam folder because it's not that important to me, I do back up my work data 3 times at 2 different locations on 3 different devices, because it would be a serious set back to lose that data. My friend who works in video editing, even though he's not tremendously tech savvy, is wise enough to realise the data he is dealing with is his source of income and thus backs it up.

If your only form of data storage was megaupload, you didn't even have a LOCAL copy on your computer, my only conclusion is that the data was not important to you or you must have some mental impairment because you'd be completely crazy to have important things only in 1 location and that location being a 3rd party online company which, really, you know almost nothing about.

I'd say it's like buying insurance, but it's not, because it's so much simpler than that, buying insurance you have to deal with shitty insurance companies.

Back