SilverStone HE02 CPU Air Cooler Heatsink Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SilverStone HE02 CPU Air Cooler Review - SilverStone is back with its latest air cooled heatsink unit for today's desktop processors. As far as size goes, the HE02 heatsink is mammoth. Along with the huge heatsinks we often find installation and compatibility issues. SiliverStone speaks to designing the HE02 in order to ease those pains. How well does it work though?

Weird decisions all around. Hard to believe they thought this one through before deciding to go ahead and sell it like this.

That's disappointing since it's a big "H" when looking at it from top down.

Wow. That was painful to read. That much metal and still can't generally beat stock... ouch.

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but the cooler seems to be designed for a vertically-mounted motherboard, and then with the air to flow straight up. Was it tested on a horizontally-mounted motherboard?

And will the cooler impede the use of low-profile memory? Or is it just fancy memory heatsinks getting in the way?

Thanks for a great review...I've been considering some large passive heatsinks for a future HTPC build and this one is right off the list.

This is more of a nitpicky comment (especially in light of the HE-02's poor performance), but I'm a lover of [H] articles' general accuracy: In the price/performance charts, the with fan calculations were done with the basic $77 purchase price. Wouldn't it be a more accurate representation to include the price of the necessary 140mm fan (perhaps with an *) to get those results?

I was somewhat expecting the big X (Fail) award on this one. While I realize those are typically reserved for power supply reviews, it appears this heatsink deserves it too. :(

Thanks for a great review...I've been considering some large passive heatsinks for a future HTPC build and this one is right off the list.

This is more of a nitpicky comment (especially in light of the HE-02's poor performance), but I'm a lover of [H] articles' general accuracy: In the price/performance charts, the with fan calculations were done with the basic $77 purchase price. Wouldn't it be a more accurate representation to include the price of the necessary 140mm fan (perhaps with an *) to get those results?

Reading is fundamental...

I was kind to the HE02 and purposely neglected adding an additional $13.00 USD for the cost of the fan used. I’d rather not add any insult to injury here.

Wow. Did not expect those results going in. That sounds like an all-round terrible experience.
The Macho is still looking strong.

Man I'd take an HE01 any day over that. It IS sad cause it does kind of look like an H and that would be sweet.

Would probably be worth testing in one of the Silverstone Fortress/Raven cases where directed vertical case airflow is already present. Even the ancient Coolermaster Hyper 212+ works as a 'passive' heatsink for stock frequencies in that configuration.

I was somewhat expecting the big X (Fail) award on this one. While I realize those are typically reserved for power supply reviews, it appears this heatsink deserves it too. :(

I was expecting this as well. Is there a reason the item did not receive a failing mark?

I'm going to stick this on my $50 Linksys router. It's going to be awesome.

Seriously, though, this is a real disappointment. This is one of the few Silverstone products I have ever seen that has been flawed in so many ways. Their stuff is usually expensive, but worth the price.

On a related note, will we see an [H] Windows 8 vs 7 gaming comparison?

I think I have made a mistake in sending this CPU cooler to Marc for review without letting him know what it was designed for. For his test environment, the HE01 is a better cooler for sure. But the HE02 is a better product for very low noise (less than 500rpm) or passive setup.

I think I have made a mistake in sending this CPU cooler to Marc for review without letting him know what it was designed for. For his test environment, the HE01 is a better cooler for sure. But the HE02 is a better product for very low noise (less than 500rpm) or passive setup.

Eh, reviews from most sites were lackluster. I think the product just missed the mark in general.

Eh, reviews from most sites were lackluster. I think the product just missed the mark in general.

Yeah, the HE02 is made for a very specific set of customers so it is definitely not a "general" product at all (within the context of enthusiasts hardware).

The "greatest" question is how well it does with 35 watt, 55 watt and 65 watt CPUs, which would seem more appropriate.
Too big for small cases, too limited for big ones seems appropriate.

Like to know how this wouls do compared to a Thermalright Macho, especially in say an NZXT Source 210 Elite (in both the non-Elite and Elite configuration, [evil laugh]).

Anyway this seems one of the fanless just to be Fanless more than useful.

SPCR would be a better review comparison ?

Back