Gaming Before Bed Negatively Impacts Teens' Sleep

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study on the effects of teens playing video games before bed time...*flips coin*...is bad. No need to worry, just wait a month, another study will find that video games make you sleep like a baby.

Flinders University child sleep psychologist Dr Michael Gradisar, who supervised the study, said there was a 27-minute loss in total sleep time after 150 minutes of gaming based on the polysomnography tests and a 39-minute delay in sleep onset according to the participants' sleep diaries.

I think this survey is a load of nonsense. After playing video games I go out and murder a load of people, which kind of tires me out and makes it easier to sleep!

I think this may have merit. If I get into a round late at night and my adrenaline gets pumping it effects my sleep.

A round or 2 of a MP game like TF2, or something like Grimlock will get the adrenaline pumping alright. Learned a long time ago that was a no-no... For wanting to sleep anyways...

Grimrock...

Lack of edit + Swype makes for odd posts sometimes...

This is not true. After playing hours of BF3 and going to sleep, I have awesome dreams of being inside BF3. The only downside I have is that sometimes I shoot people and they don't die no matter how much I shoot them.

Don't you know, video games are bad. You will stay away plotting to kill people.

News flash: video games are the scapegoat!

I can start TF2 and be up all night. I suppose I could just take an Ambien and not remember how badly I got my ass beaten.

What a bunch of horse shit, I slept like a baby after a good evening gamage session.

Just because you don't like the result of a study, doesn't mean it's not valid. There have been a lot of studies on television and computer use (not specifically video games) that show that staring at a bright screen before going to bed negatively affects your sleep, as your brain releases hormones that make you sleepy and help you to fall asleep that are linked to the amount of light you're exposed to. I wouldn't be surprised if games made this worse, as they actively involve you and get you pumped up.

And with anything like this, that doesn't mean it negatively affects everyone, all the time, just that on average, people who are staring at bright screens or playing games before bed sleep more poorly than people who don't.

I read this in the "doctor's book of home remedies" when I was in elementary school, like 25 years ago.

If you're mad after playing a game and losing then it may impact sleep negatively 'cause u mad.

"According to a study that tested 10 students...."

....*reads the article*

OH, MY BAD, 17 STUDENTS WERE TESTED.

lol, dumb article and waste of money.

This is true. Not that playing violent games will give you intentions to go around killing people but for some will get anxiety, stress and restless sleep after some [H] gaming, use to happen to myself back then.

i could've told ya thought. go play a frantic FPS for a few hours, then go to bed. your mind is cranked up for a while.

that's why i always read before bed.

and a warm glass of milk.

and my fiber pills.

fuck i'm old. :(

I would think that it really depended on the person and what kind of life style they lead , like their diet and exercise , what is their home-life like ? load ? mellow ? what is their bed like ? old? new? , do they live near a busy street , would gaming mellow them out compared to home life and area ?
So much can determine someones sleep , but if they want to generalize. (guess one would have to read everything about the tests)

This is not true. After playing hours of BF3 and going to sleep, I have awesome dreams of being inside BF3. The only downside I have is that sometimes I shoot people and they don't die no matter how much I shoot them.

....so, how are the dreams any different than actually playing BF3? :-D

in other news.. i actually game before going to bed, and it tires me out.

...So does TV, music, caffeine, carbs, sunlight, oxygen, aliens, time travel and just about anything else.

No shit. Try playing a FPS then try sleeping right after. It's not real easy trying to sleep after a massive dose of rage adrenaline from being called a goat-raping faggot or some such by a 12 year old.

Although, listening to them going batshit crazy after calling them nerds does help. lol

Ok I love video games, and I love sleep. This study is quite obviously correct for certain types of games. If you play a game (such as a shooter) that gets your reaction time up and possibly adrenaline up, you will obviously have a harder time falling asleep. Or take for instance a damn scary video game like Amnesia. If I play Amnesia right before going to bed I have nightmares all damn night long.

It is just like watching a super awesome shoot em up action movie, or a ridiculous horror movie before going to bed: if it gets your heart/mind racing, it will be difficult to successful fall unconscious for long periods of time immediately afterwards.

"According to a study that tested 10 students...."

....*reads the article*

OH, MY BAD, 17 STUDENTS WERE TESTED.

This alone invalidates the experiment's findings...yet it has been accepted into an international journal. Good luck maintaining credibility with the science community now...

This alone invalidates the experiment's findings...yet it has been accepted into an international journal. Good luck maintaining credibility with the science community now...

And they need a wide variety of games. Repeated magic find runs in Diablo 2 will put ya to sleep.

And they need a wide variety of games. Repeated magic find runs in Diablo 2 will put ya to sleep.

Yes...plus the sheer number of variables that would have to be controlled (like what participants had consumed through the day to affect energy levels, their own individual body-clocks, the amount of energy they had used that day, any forms of emotional stress or fatigue) makes it unlikely that the amount of gaming done before bed could have the sole and undisputed effect on the ease and quality of sleep.

The validity of this study is just terrible. It's shit you learn in any first-year science-based course at University level. How the fuck this guy got to Masters level is mind-boggling.

http://jackkruse.com/blog-index/

Its likely linked to artificial lights. Blue wavelength lights especially shutdown melatonin production and melatonin is part of getting good sleep.

It also stops the production of IGF-1, HGH, and Prolactin that naturally rises during sleep unless you never get darkness or you eat near bedtime as well.

The Jack Kruse blog has many different blogs on light, Leptin, sleep, and tons of other chronic health conditions.

i could've told ya thought. go play a frantic FPS for a few hours, then go to bed. your mind is cranked up for a while.

and my fiber pills.

LMAO!

When I played games, it did affect my sleep pretty badly, I slept shorter time, was falling asleep way longer and I had a bad dreams mostly, it depends on individuals but it's definite true that games are making mess in your head either mental or physiological.

Was playing Borderlands 2 last night. Went to sleep like a baby right after I finished.

You'll notice that the study lists a "violent" video game as the chosen source. In our sleep, studies have shown that we relive the days events in order to be better prepared for them next time. When your brain is tricked into thinking it's in a life and death situation, this might be exaggerated. I wonder how playing a peaceful game like Animal Crossing would affect sleep.

I have seen this in my kids and I do not allow them to play games on school nights.

http://jackkruse.com/blog-index/

Its likely linked to artificial lights. Blue wavelength lights especially shutdown melatonin production and melatonin is part of getting good sleep.

It also stops the production of IGF-1, HGH, and Prolactin that naturally rises during sleep unless you never get darkness or you eat near bedtime as well.

The Jack Kruse blog has many different blogs on light, Leptin, sleep, and tons of other chronic health conditions.

This is correct.

I used to have problems with this when I was younger and it took a lot of digging around to figure around what was going on.

and my fiber pills.

I hear ya, bro.

I remember in younger days playing HL deathmatch too much and then dreaming of those damn canisters that drop when you die.

I do find milk is a good sleep aid though.

Try prune juice though, its milder....:)

I just turned 30, and I've noticed for years that any heavy PC usage before bed keeps me from sleeping.

Then again, I've noticed the same thing about having sex before trying to sleep.

Know what? Fuck sleep.

You'll notice that the study lists a "violent" video game as the chosen source. In our sleep, studies have shown that we relive the days events in order to be better prepared for them next time. When your brain is tricked into thinking it's in a life and death situation, this might be exaggerated. I wonder how playing a peaceful game like Animal Crossing would affect sleep.

I think violent games would be fine, if there are breaks in the violence. Games like Borderlands, RPGs, MMOs, etc have quests and such where you'll have parts where all you do is walk/drive around doing a lot of nothing.

I'm sure racing games would have the same effect as a fast-paced FPS. Both will get the adrenaline pumping.

Back