Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency Switching To iPhones

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency is dropping the BlackBerry in favor of the iPhone. Productivity at work is projected to drop by half. ;)

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) said it will end its contract with BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd in favor of Apple Inc's iPhone, dealing a new blow to RIM just months before it launches a vital new device. The agency said in a solicitation document posted last week that it intends to buy iPhones for more than 17,600 employees - a purchase worth $2.1 million.

not a bad price 17,600 iPhones for 2.1million is like $120 per phone. Unless of course some of those are shared work phones that don't go home with people.

The real money is in the contract for all those phones.

But just wait until the government releases the new hit Tower Defense game ... ICE Agents vs immigrants ... 50 levels of progressively harder gameplay as the hoards of immigrants try and break into your house :D

Hope they have increased their bandwidth of their internet connection to support the additional traffic.

Something doesn't seem right with the pricing, unless they are getting an older model iPhone. Knowing how long it takes to get stuff approved through the typical government bureaucracy, these might be original iPhone 4’s

I don't think that 17,600 phones really matter in the global scheme of things, Apple probably sells more than that per hour globally.

It is easier to roll out like things at the same time. Most gov agencies are moving to apple. Easy to control and manage plus blackberry is dead.

ICE doesn't actually do anything anymore so they might as well be dicking around on their iPhones.

The iMaps constantly takes them to the nearest starbucks instead of the border checkstation.

Honestly, I don't see the issue here. They are easy to use, and reliable.

I don't think that 17,600 phones really matter in the global scheme of things, Apple probably sells more than that per hour globally.

It actually matters alot because it is a sign of a changing trend. When a staunch government agency is willing to take on possible security risks to put these devices into service and write software for them and many businesses are moving over to ipads for on the move inventory sales and record keeping, that means MS is finally feeling the heat in their last major hold out, the business world. And it only proves the point that anything someone says about this device or that device is no good for business or consumers is BS at the end of the day whatever device gets in the most hands starts invading any other sector and people start solving whatever problems it has. MS is in big trouble, honestly I see it every day I took a survey at a fast food chain on an ipad, the inventory management at work now uses ipads. Walk around and look at young people and they are almost all using apple products and convincing their older parents who run companies to do the same.

MS is totally missing the boat, and google isnt moving fast enough to attack the business market either.

A phone with a large pieces of glass on the front and back being given to people who should be working in a fairly physical occupation... nothing wrong there at all:rolleyes:

It actually matters alot because it is a sign of a changing trend. When a staunch government agency is willing to take on possible security risks to put these devices into service and write software for them and many businesses are moving over to ipads for on the move inventory sales and record keeping, that means MS is finally feeling the heat in their last major hold out, the business world.
So your argument is that one government agency changing their cellphones from Blackberry (not MS) to iPhone (not MS) is putting the heat on MS. That's a really well thought out argument.

Yes because I guess I have to spell it out. Once apple puts a foot in the door that can very easily start extending to their traditional computer lines. And second you left out the rest of the post where I touched on just how many iPads are showing up and those would be replacing the common IBM thinkpad tablets.

Yes because I guess I have to spell it out. Once apple puts a foot in the door that can very easily start extending to their traditional computer lines. And second you left out the rest of the post where I touched on just how many iPads are showing up and those would be replacing the common IBM thinkpad tablets.

If only iPads could run all that Microsoft software and all that C# code and the .Net apps that government and business use ...

yet they are doing it anyway, think about it. And oh what is MS going to do to run all those iOS apps the same companies are developing?

yet they are doing it anyway, think about it. And oh what is MS going to do to run all those iOS apps the same companies are developing?

A trained monkey can code an iOS app, the app store is proof of that.

Government and business runs on Microsoft, and I am not talking about that start-up business where surfer dudes code some crap on LOLnix and Ruby. Those guys aren't paying for MS licenses anyway.

Fortune 500 is heavily invested in the MS stack and even their iPhones call the Exchange server at home.

The sky is not falling, MS will be here long past your lifetime selling the same stuff they always sell.

Hope they have increased their bandwidth of their internet connection to support the additional traffic.

Something doesn't seem right with the pricing, unless they are getting an older model iPhone. Knowing how long it takes to get stuff approved through the typical government bureaucracy, these might be original iPhone 4’s

3GS, tough as nails compared to the new ones, and dirt cheap.

Good thing they are going for the a secure platform... oh wait...they aren't :confused:

At least they don't have to worry about downloading a virus from the Android Market, or carry around portable battery packs.

Back