Ancestry.com Sold For $1.6B

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ancestry.com sold for $1.6 billion? Holy cow, I'd sell you my ancestors...all of them...for that kind of money. :eek:

Genealogy website operator Ancestry.com agreed to be acquired for $1.6 billion by a group led by Europe-based private equity firm Permira Advisors LLC, four months after it put itself up for sale following the cancellation of a TV show based on its research. The company, whose website helps users trace their family roots, will be taken private at $32 per share, a 10 percent premium to the stock's Friday closing price of $29.18.

I use this site... have traced back my family name a few centuries now. It's pretty neat to find old documents with their names written on them, signed and such. This is coming from a 26 year old, too :)

Well shoot, I liked that show Who Do You Think You Are. Too bad it was cancelled.

I would love to have the time and money to be able to trace my family lineage back and go on a family history tour. :/

Lol, how does ancestry even produce revenue? Does it have ads or something? Or a Pay model?

A lot of older people are into ancestry. Interesting to know for anyone actually.

I use this site... have traced back my family name a few centuries now. It's pretty neat to find old documents with their names written on them, signed and such. This is coming from a 26 year old, too :)

I'm 37. It seems like a boring thing when you hear about it, but once you start getting into it, it's very fascinating and addicting. At times, it felt like a detective or historian tracing back small links and researching various things. Really awesome stuff. Finding distant relatives that were famous (a great grandfathers cousin kid was a president or something like that, not directly related for some things). Just a big puzzle. Fun stuff, really.

I'm 37. It seems like a boring thing when you hear about it, but once you start getting into it, it's very fascinating and addicting. At times, it felt like a detective or historian tracing back small links and researching various things. Really awesome stuff. Finding distant relatives that were famous (a great grandfathers cousin kid was a president or something like that, not directly related for some things). Just a big puzzle. Fun stuff, really.

So, yet another web game for old people... :D

I wonder if someone is actually acquiring all this data with something bigger in mind. There has to be something more than just pay to read about your relatives.

Maybe someone with more capable imagination has already figured it out.

Does anyone even use this site?

If you're an American, I don't see what the point of this site is. We're all immigrants. Except of course for the people that we slaughtered in order to commandeer this territory....

Americans have have no culture and no history. Comparatively speaking of course.

and in 3 to 5 years headline will be that it was resold for 3 million to some one else

I love ancestry, I used it quite a bit but it took more than that to trace my roots.

I am a direct descendant of William the Conqueror . There are very cool things you can find out if you have the time and resources to look into it.

If you're an American, I don't see what the point of this site is. We're all immigrants. Except of course for the people that we slaughtered in order to commandeer this territory....

Americans have have no culture and no history. Comparatively speaking of course.

Yep, few people realize that when crossing the Atlantic by ship you were strictly forbidden from bringing your ancestry with you.

I did a trial and got crap for results. It was like "We found an old plane ticket with your dad's name on it!" I'm like "ORLY /cancel sub".

Does anyone even use this site?

I use it quite a bit and pay the $20 month to do so. I've learned more about my own ancestry from the site than my family even knew themselves. Plus you learn quickly just how large your extended family is, I've talked with people who are distantly related to me that I'd never have known about if not for the site.

Maybe someone already said it but probably bought for its real value in data mining, new ads about to hit your mail box and email. Did you know that your great great uncle worked at proctor and gamble, try our new soap.

Troll harder. :p

My wife has been using this for quite some time and also does other people's family histories. She also loved that show. Hope the cost doesn't go up. She's already paying about $25/month.

This sounds like a good idea. This would probably get more exposure in EU with an European company at the helm.

I come from a long line of Mormon's it would be interesting to see how far back I have to go back to get into the polygamy.

But for the most party I could care less not like I'm a Rothschild my ancestors were dumb enough to get sucked into a religion and leave me with nothing the less I'm connected to them the better.

I come from a long line of Mormon's it would be interesting to see how far back I have to go back to get into the polygamy.

But for the most party I could care less not like I'm a Rothschild my ancestors were dumb enough to get sucked into a religion and leave me with nothing the less I'm connected to them the better.

You're missing some periods in there. Wow that was hard to read...

LOL...people paid money to put their private family information in a personal data mining site and the site is sold to an equity company.

Nothing like paying people to sell your information :)

Back