Microsoft Drops Twitter, Facebook from Xbox 360 Dashboard

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has decided to clean up their act on the Xbox 360 dashboard and two of the things that just had to go were Facebook and Twitter. It seems Microsoft prefers its Xbox users to use Internet Explorer, which by some strange coincidence, is displayed on the Web Hub located on the new dashboard.

“Xbox LIVE subscribers will have the ability to access these sites through Internet Explorer on Xbox, available through the Web Hub located on the new dashboard.”

Raise your hand if you ever gave a shit about Twitter or Facebook on the Xbox. Good riddance!

As usual, MS thinks they know better Than we do what we wan.

The only good news is that their web pages were a lot more functional than Microsoft's half assed clients.

Also, I doubt anyone actually used these apps.

They are probably looking to cut costs of development the apps seemed like they were never more than a bandaid till IE was good enough.

Hey everybody lets try to directly compete with our own company and make the Xbox the new PC
genius-meme.jpg

They are probably looking to cut costs of development the apps seemed like they were never more than a bandaid till IE was good enough.
The problem with Facebook and Twitter on the 360 isn't really the app costs rather than they are almost useless and very poorly implemented on the 360; the purpose of social media is to tell everyone you know what you're doing right now. On the 360, you can't just pause a game, tweet out "Maxed out Cooking in Skyrim WOO #xbox #360 #skyrim #elderscrolls" or post your status to Facebook within game unless you exited out to the Dashboard. People also like to share pictures on social media and there's no way to simply take an in-game screenshot and post it to Facebook/Twitter.

See...this is where nothing compares to an actual HTPC.

See...this is where nothing compares to an actual HTPC.

I will agree with that, any sort of specialized device or appliance seems to just not do it right. For instance I have a reciever that is suppose to get pandora and other internet radio but you can only control half of it with your phone and the other half with a remote. But with my HTPC I can get the same content and control it all with mouse / keyboard or phone.

Am I reading this correctly? I need an xbox live subscription to use the browser? As in Gold Member subscription? As in pay to use?

Back