Microsoft Employees Raise $1B for Communities Around the World

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today commemorated its 30th Employee Giving Campaign and announced that U.S. employees raised $1 billion in cash since 1983 for approximately 31,000 nonprofits and community organizations around the world. CEO Steve Ballmer announced the milestone during a special town hall event at the Microsoft Redmond campus, which included Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates and Washington State Gov. Chris Gregoire.

I wonder if any of that count is money that Bill put up for his foundation.

While on the other hand, Apple continues to sue other manufacturers for the latest and ongoing war of patent disputes.

Yet another reason I do not mind supporting Microsoft as a company.

A whole BAJILLION dollars is a lot of monies. That's pretty much completely awesome of them to do stuff like that. Yaay for Microsoft!

As someone who does a lot of fundraisers for non-profit organizations (my 8 year old has type 1 diabetes and wife is a leukemia survivor) I whole heartedly appreciate a successful company encouraging their employees to help those who need it most. Huzzah to you Microsoft.

"Your move, Apple."
Report: Apple Employees Raise $2 Billion for American Cancer Society

[H] reaction: "Look at this dick-measuring move by Apple; I can't believe they're giving money to charity just to show up Microsoft and get a tax exemption...Now Apple is going to patent charity donations and sue everyone because they claimed they invented it...If I ran that charity I'd give that dirty money back because I hate Apple's unethical, capitalist, profit-whoring business practices!"

[H] reaction: "Look at this dick-measuring move by Apple; I can't believe they're giving money to charity just to show up Microsoft and get a tax exemption...Now Apple is going to patent charity donations and sue everyone because they claimed they invented it...If I ran that charity I'd give that dirty money back because I hate Apple's unethical, capitalist, profit-whoring business practices!"

Oh stop it. Everything in [H] has to be a competition instead of just patting Microsoft in the back and say "good job guys!" No, they have to bring Apple into the discussion. Again. :rolleyes:

On topic: good job guys!

That's funny because its more than Steve Jobs ever gave out of his vast fortune to charity. Steve Jobs was one of the least charitable CEO's in recent history.

Meanwhile Bill Gates has given $33.5 Billion in the form of his Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.

Apple fan's will not win this argument so don't even try.

The moment Steve Jobs took over Apple, almost all charitable donations from Apple STOPPED. I remember then I was in high school, the entire school ran off of Apple's since they were all donated from Apple. Now you read in the news of schools buying Apple products and getting a "magical" 10% discount on something thats already %300 marked up.

BTW, that 1 Billion does NOT include what Bill Gates has given. He has his own charity, and has so far donated so much money that he has dropped from the #1 richest man in the world, to #3. How much money did Jobs donate? I think he was buried with it. Seems like something that prick would do.

This is just the employee giving campaign, if you give so much you do get a parking space at least :p

Back