Ubuntu 12.10 'Quantal Quetzal' Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Canonical released the final of Ubuntu 12.10, known as Quantal Quetzal on Thursday. This release covers desktop and server variants and is described as a viable alternative to Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system, due for launch on October 26th.

"The operating system for the multi-device era" and as an "easier, faster alternative to competing desktop operating systems."

Ubuntu 13.04 will be more interesting. Ubuntu TV, more oriented for gaming, and soon Steam.

I happily reinstalled gnome on my 12.04 box, I'ved used gnome on my linux boxes for a good decade, no plans to move away. I also only stick to LTS releases given the pains I've had moving between dist upgrades...

I happily reinstalled gnome on my 12.04 box, I'ved used gnome on my linux boxes for a good decade, no plans to move away. I also only stick to LTS releases given the pains I've had moving between dist upgrades...
Not only can you install Gnome, but some one else on the same machine can default to Unity or whatever. Allowing the user to customize is out of style, don't you know.

I don't think people will want to switch Metro for Unity.

I think you could get people on Linux Mint however.

I think the average user will continue to stay away from linux with all this talk about gnome, unity, mint, kubuntu, Xunbuntu, this distro is better than that distro nonsense. Windows or OS/X is an easier choice. Just sayin.

I'm always impressed by Ubuntu's developers' ability to think up new rhyming animal names.

made a mistake of upgrading 12.04 LTS to 12.10... a lot of shit broke, starting with the now-missing 3rd-party drivers config panel. instead of spending hours trying to fix it, reinstalled 12.04 and all is good again. sticking with LTS.

made a mistake of upgrading 12.04 LTS to 12.10... a lot of shit broke, starting with the now-missing 3rd-party drivers config panel. instead of spending hours trying to fix it, reinstalled 12.04 and all is good again. sticking with LTS.

Same thing happened to me going to 12.04. I had to fix a bunch of stuff and I rolled the kernel back. Ubuntu does not seem to be heading in the right direction as of late (or ever I guess).

It seems stuff works as long as you don't do a full distro upgrade. Most of the blame still falls on crappy support from the big players in regards to drivers, like AMD, Intel, and nVidia. Hopefully the push from Valve gets these guys moving.

I've made a few Ubuntu distribution upgrades in the past and they all screwed my system up. Nothing new here, imo.

I'm not going to check out this one but I'm really curious about how Unity is shaping up... It seems to be actually pretty nice at this point. I might do a KDE -> Unity transition on my Arch box.

I learnt my lesson several versions ago. Don't upgrade Ubuntu until several months after a new version comes out. If you want to be safe, don't upgrade to the X.04 version until X.10 is coming out, and vice versa, and hold on to LTS versions even longer.

It's nice how Ubuntu is trying to make Linux more mainstream, but they fail in that by releasing versions before they're ready. A great way to drive away the mainstream is to shove up a big sign "check out our new version!" and then have it break their system by not being stable and in general not working as it should.

As a rule of thumb, consider anything that is not an LTS to be a beta.

If Microsoft released a new version of Windows every 6 months, they'd be buggy as well. (Actually, they are still buggy as anyone who has ever programmed in Win32 can attest to).

I do not know why Canonical insists on such a fast release schedule when things would be better served by slowing down. *BSD nailed this a long time ago by separating the base system from the installable software. A FreeBSD upgrade is less likely to break your software than even a Windows upgrade.

As a rule of thumb, consider anything that is not an LTS to be a beta.

Even LTS can be buggy when it first comes out, I just stay away from anything new. If I'm installing Ubuntu on a new computer and see the current version hasn't been out for long, I just go to the previous version.

Even LTS can be buggy when it first comes out, I just stay away from anything new. If I'm installing Ubuntu on a new computer and see the current version hasn't been out for long, I just go to the previous version.

Well part of the problem is the fact that you are upgrading so many things at once that you are bound to break things. Windows is this way as well; I learned a long time ago that it is better to just do a clean install of Windows when going to a new version rather than letting it upgrade.

The BSDs are the only operating systems that I've seen where you can do an upgrade without it breaking a bunch of stuff and that is because they are anal retentive and completely OCD about everything down to the directory that each individual file goes into as well as the fact that they maintain a clear distinction (to the point of having separate directory trees) between the base system (the stuff minimally necessary to have an operating system) and installed applications (something that GNU/Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X do not do).

Well part of the problem is the fact that you are upgrading so many things at once that you are bound to break things. Windows is this way as well; I learned a long time ago that it is better to just do a clean install of Windows when going to a new version rather than letting it upgrade.

The BSDs are the only operating systems that I've seen where you can do an upgrade without it breaking a bunch of stuff and that is because they are anal retentive and completely OCD about everything down to the directory that each individual file goes into as well as the fact that they maintain a clear distinction (to the point of having separate directory trees) between the base system (the stuff minimally necessary to have an operating system) and installed applications (something that GNU/Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X do not do).

Don't forget about rolling Linux distributions... These don't have this kind of problem. I've heard rumors that Ubuntu might switch to this model, too, although these rumors are quite old at this point, but who knows.

Don't forget about rolling Linux distributions... These don't have this kind of problem. I've heard rumors that Ubuntu might switch to this model, too, although these rumors are quite old at this point, but who knows.

I know, I use Arch.

The best system, IMHO, is a hybrid like FreeBSD where the base system is on a standard release cycle and your applications are a rolling release system.

People are bashing windows 8 because of what it is, why are they trying to replicate it? /facepalm.

The idea of a multi device OS is great, the problem is when it tries to force you on the less productive device. A proper OS should be designed for the desktop, but have features that make it easier to use on a tablet. Not the other way around.

Updated from 12.04 LTS to 12.10. I had to do a few work arounds to get the damn side and top bar to work correctly again, it was a pain for about 15 minutes until I figured out the issue. Works fine now, just waiting to see what might break next.

I've made a few Ubuntu distribution upgrades in the past and they all screwed my system up. Nothing new here, imo.

I'm not going to check out this one but I'm really curious about how Unity is shaping up... It seems to be actually pretty nice at this point. I might do a KDE -> Unity transition on my Arch box.

I don't understand the hate for Unity at all, imo.

If you're a keyboard person, Unity is perfect. HUDisplay allows you to toggle quite a bit via keyboard instead of doing it with a mouse, and the Unity launcher works the same way. If you don't like the panel, just hide it...

Personally, I prefer Unity to Gnome or XFCE. It's much more functional and practical

I don't think people will want to switch Metro for Unity.

I think you could get people on Linux Mint however.

I've used Mint since mid- 2011 and love it (but I'm a Linux n00b). I didn't care for Ubuntu Unity stuff.

Back