GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 Socket FM2 Motherboard Review @ [H]

Fixed! Thanks, Kyle

Nice review of a decent board for a lackluster platform. I wish AMD continued to build off the PII X6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering getting one of these for my secondary/HTPC. Though that would of been replacing an X6 and 4770. This processor is still slower than this combo, which is why I didn't. Had the graphics surpassed a 4770 I may of considered it though.

Good review as always. Hopefully the 8350 will look a bit better :/.

Last edited:
Kyle's Thoughts:

We we had a chance to review the new "4 Piledriver Cores" processors from AMD, we got somewhat excited. When we actually used these parts, we got a lot unexcited, at least on the desktop. Here is what AMD had to say:

bold WE typo :)

I found the review odd in a sense that there isn't any reason to pair a videocard with a 2 module cpu where performance on the CPU will always be iffy unless you restrict it to excellent optimized multithread applications/games.

Piledriver is no magic fix for this and even if it is an improvement on Bulldozer doesn't mean smooth sailing.

I don't get the complete lack of mini-itx boards for FM1/2. With the rather robust built in GPU, this platform just kind of screams super-small form factor.

good review, thanks.

i agree APU's at this time are for family friendly pc's, and if that is the case you are better of using Micro or even Mini boards.

but...

Will it crossfire?? XD

Yes.

I don't get the complete lack of mini-itx boards for FM1/2. With the rather robust built in GPU, this platform just kind of screams super-small form factor.

Agreed.

It's not an enthusiast part by any means. Despite the tone of the article I liked the CPU when considered in the correct light and if I were going to buy a laptop I'd seriously consider one with an A10-5800K in it. But for gaming and enthusiast rigs I just don't think this setup is all that compelling. I also liked the board well enough. I think the chipset is pretty solid in most areas. I definitely like the A85X chipset more than the 990FX.

i agree. if i were to build a system with this cpu, it would be a mini itx. if your even thinking of running crossfire with it, go i3 with a gpu.

Kyle you speak as though your readership of "enthusiasts" has no interest in HTPC-type and/or home file server applications. Also consider that some of us actually care about idle power usage.... and sometimes underclocking is just as important.

What a terrible review with such blinding negativity. The APU/GPU doesn't even get to stretch its legs in the craptastic games/resolutions the reviewer used. And why only use pc1600 when it clearly benefits from pc1866 and faster ddr3, which is not much more expensive. This was in no way a fair review for the AMD Trinity platform for the average gamer. The platform can actually handle higher resolutions! for the modest gamer along with being a great media pc. You guys are more worried about piddly little problems like slight mouse lag in the UEFI bios than any real world testing.

Kyle you speak as though your readership of "enthusiasts" has no interest in HTPC-type and/or home file server applications. Also consider that some of us actually care about idle power usage.... and sometimes underclocking is just as important.

It's why they mentioned a lack of mini-itx boards. Without one of those it's going to be rather difficult to fit that chip into a HTPC box.

Embarrassing review. Makes it seem like your crew is new to the PC world and has no grasp of what an APU is. I expected better, or at the vary least for your crew to look like they know what they are reviewing. Get it together guys!

Not impressed, but damn; that is a sexy motherboard. Why can't I find a LGA1155 /Z77 mobo with those (lack of) colors?

Not your best reviews guys.

Apu= Mediocre cpu + entry graphics on die that beats intels integrated stuff 2x fps @ low settings and medium-high resolution. Which is where its targeted.

only reviewing the cpu aspect is missing the barn by many football fields. (yeah we know cpu side sucks compared to intels, nothing new here)

What a terrible review with such blinding negativity. The APU/GPU doesn't even get to stretch its legs in the craptastic games/resolutions the reviewer used. And why only use pc1600 when it clearly benefits from pc1866 and faster ddr3, which is not much more expensive. This was in no way a fair review for the AMD Trinity platform for the average gamer. The platform can actually handle higher resolutions! for the modest gamer along with being a great media pc. You guys are more worried about piddly little problems like slight mouse lag in the UEFI bios than any real world testing.

While it wasn't a fair review for the trinity, it certainly was a fair review for the "average gamer". If you want to play games on your box you don't want this. If your budget is constrained to the point that you are looking at this, you are better off looking on the hardforums forsale board.

Oddly enough, since the use [H]ard types are going to see with these boards (setting them up for non-enthusiasts), we will likely spend most of our time with the UEFI screens. I also think that the same user can dig up parts that will out perform trinity, so the whole point of trinity is to avoid using overclocked and potentially unreliable parts to avoid the dreaded service call.

These chips make sense where they were released. The high volume, low end mobile market that has been where all types of computers have been selling. It just looks like the margins aren't there or AMD is having trouble selling what appears to be a superior product (until you take a significant price hike for i3+discrete). Add me to the list who is wondering where (and if) the ITX boards will show up.

only reviewing the cpu aspect is missing the barn by many football fields. (yeah we know cpu side sucks compared to intels, nothing new here)

I think the review is the way it is because the A85X and A10-5800k are specifically being marketed as "enthusiast" products. The [H] crew are just saying no, these parts are far from even remotely being related to enthusiast.

marketers should be bulldozed in the ground :p

And then piledriven. Hur, hur!

Lack of micro boards for this platform really does suck. I was thinking about putting together a server pc/media player all-in-one. I mean - the platform looks great. Who doesn't want 7 Sata ports? But for a trinity? Meh...

Back