Microsoft Surface RT Pricing Starts At $499

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Microsoft's Surface RT will start at $499 and go all the way up to $699. :( If you ask me, I think launching the Windows RT version at the same price as the iPad is a bad idea. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

Too high for an RT device IMO. If this was regular Windows 8 tablet, I'd happily pay that much, but not for an RT.

I believe this is the biggest mistake that companies today make. They value themselves as much as Apple and think they can compete at those prices.

They should have focused on the sub 500 range like Google and Asus is doing.

IMO, the Galaxy Nexus 7 is close to near the perfect intro - mid range tablet. It's Google experience so you don't get all the bloat. The tablet has all the hardware it needs.. and the price is there.

If MS had started there, they would've had a bigger foot in the door.

I hope somebody from Microsoft reads this, cause they need to know their idiots.....

I believe this is the biggest mistake that companies today make. They value themselves as much as Apple and think they can compete at those prices.

IMO, the Galaxy Nexus 7 is close to near the perfect intro - mid range tablet. It's Google experience so you don't get all the bloat. The tablet has all the hardware it needs.. and the price is there.

Yup agree with you totally. For example look at the Blackberry Playbook, launched at a ridiculous price and I recently picked one up a brand new 64GB one for a quarter of its original price. Had RIM undercut Apple by say 25% to begin with it might not have been such a flop.

Well, I believe MS just blew their chance by pricing it that high. The average person isn't going to walk into a store, see a Surface RT and iPad sitting next to each other for the same price, and choose the Surface. MS is stupid if they think that is the case. Apple has a perceived superiority with their products, and the only reason most people will even both looking at a competing product is if it is priced at a point low enough to make the buyer pause and think, "Is the Apple one really that much better?"

Simple Fix: Include the "Touch" cover at that price and they have a winner.

At $499, people that want a tablet will buy an iPad... sorry MS.

I'm not sure who would be interested in a tablet at all with such little functionality (ipad or RT). But that's just me. I'm really looking forward to the Pro version as a laptop replacement.

Simple Fix: Include the "Touch" cover at that price and they have a winner.

At $499, people that want a tablet will buy an iPad... sorry MS.

For less than $499 you can buy an ARM-based tablet with the dock that more than doubles battery life and has a better keyboard and better hardware, like the new Snapdragon SoC instead of an outdated Tegra 3.

MS screwed the pooch. If the WinRT tablets are $499 at their cheapest, what's the Surface Pro gonna' cost? No thanks, MS. You're not Apple. People aren't going to be lining up in droves for your devices.

Well, their entry model is in the sub-500 range. It is comparable to the entry level iPad, but with twice the memory (32 GB vs. 16 GB). Their top model (64GB) is also $100 dollars less than the 64GB iPad, and comes with the cover/keyboard, which means it ends up being a bit cheaper than the iPad. It also worthnoting that it comes bundled with Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote), which has a market value of $100. So, basically you're paying $399/$499/$599 for the hardware and $100 for Office 2013.

I think it is reasonably priced, and one may find cheaper options from the OEMs.

Good luck with that price, since market is already saturated with iPad and Andrio.

After the Surface advert you'd be ashamed to own one anyway.

Microsoft seem to be aiming this at hipsters who are willing to pay a high price for something lacking in functionality, but Apple already has that market well covered.

Ouch, that's expensive. Call me back in six months when second hand models are for sale for $150. :p

the biggest issue i have with MS releasing a RT tablet is the confusion it will create among end users that will think they can install any of their old MS software on it

Well, their entry model is in the sub-500 range. It is comparable to the entry level iPad, but with twice the memory (32 GB vs. 16 GB). Their top model (64GB) is also $100 dollars less than the 64GB iPad, and comes with the cover/keyboard, which means it ends up being a bit cheaper than the iPad. It also worthnoting that it comes bundled with Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote), which has a market value of $100. So, basically you're paying $399/$499/$599 for the hardware and $100 for Office 2013.

I think it is reasonably priced, and one may find cheaper options from the OEMs.

Because making PP and editing spreadsheets is really what I want to do when I'm on a tablet...

I think the price is slightly too high. If the touch cover was included in the base price it would have been great. Tougher decision as is.

I agree with others that they made a mistake releasing the RT tablet at this price point ($499) ... so far the majority of data indicates that at that price people don't want tablets, they want iPads (no model has effectively competed with Apple at that price) and they don't have enough backwards compatibility with RT to be the first ... the RT should be between 299 and 399 based on the larger screen size ...

the Intel version has to be well under $1000 or it won't compete either ... if they release the Pro version in the 699 to 899 range they have a shot at taking down the iPad (because of backwards compatible software offerings) ... otherwise the surface will be another in the long line of failed tablet offerings :(

I agree with others that they made a mistake releasing the RT tablet at this price point ($499) ... so far the majority of data indicates that at that price people don't want tablets, they want iPads (no model has effectively competed with Apple at that price) and they don't have enough backwards compatibility with RT to be the first ... the RT should be between 299 and 399 based on the larger screen size ...

the Intel version has to be well under $1000 or it won't compete either ... if they release the Pro version in the 699 to 899 range they have a shot at taking down the iPad (because of backwards compatible software offerings) ... otherwise the surface will be another in the long line of failed tablet offerings :(

I disagree about the Surface Pro. I think $1200 or less is an acceptable target. It's basically a full laptop in a tablet form factor.

No way they're going to be able to compete with the iPad and Android at that price point, unless by confused customers, that are unaware of the limitations of the ARM tablets, thinking that they'll be able to run their legacy games/applications on it... which I'm sure could blow up in their faces as well.

The only real people that I can see buying it are the hardcore MS loyalists and/or those already in the WP7 ecosystem or that don't want to spend the cash on an expensive x86 tablet.

It can't compete with iOS or Android with 3rd party applications, it's just as locked down as iOS (if not more.... at least until the hackers get their hands on them and do their magic)... The iPad is much more powerful and Android is the clear choice for most people that want complete control of their devices, not to mention much less expensive...so why would anyone choose the surface RT?

I disagree about the Surface Pro. I think $1200 or less is an acceptable target. It's basically a full laptop in a tablet form factor.

You can find an Ultrabook that weighs slightly more with better hardware for a lower price tag.

The issue MS has is that there are alternatives. If they're not willing to battle with respect to price or offer something truly unique (sorry, a docked tablet isn't special. We've had those for a while now), they're not going to make any sales.

To me, it seems like MS thinks this is circa 2000; back when MS was a "hot" brand and people were lining up to buy their operating systems and even looking forward to their products. Nowadays that's Apple, but MS seems to be completely convinced that it's still Microsoft that's the "in" tech company, and as such, they can charge a higher price tag.

Reality is going to smack them in the face. The uneducated consumers have flocked to Apple, while MS has to contend with Android and the tech-savvy crowd. The latter folks could care less who sells the product, as the sales are based on merits and not marketing.

i thought the RT ones was suppose to be 200 to 400 range while windows 500+ range

Because making PP and editing spreadsheets is really what I want to do when I'm on a tablet...

Well, I see the Windows tablets as the perfect tool for students and office workers. No need to carry books (you can have them on digital format), you have internet access and you have MS Office to do spreadsheets, pp and use it to write (One Note seems like the perfect tool for handwriting). Now, if the Surface is the one to have that is up to each individual. I will get a tablet that has Windows 8 Pro (not sure if the Surface), as having the ability to run desktop applications for me it mandatory.

No DVD drive, no keyboard, smaller than average laptops drive space, HD4000 graphics, sorry I don't think $1200 is acceptable. Niche prices were fine 5 year ago when they were making full powered 12-13" laptops, and today's ultrabook, but it's not niche anymore and there's no reason to pull the price down to midrange laptop cost anymore.

My Folio 13 is paper thin and very fast and it didn't cost me $1200. I paid only $800 for it. (Well my company paid for it, but I digress).

Don't forget that it also has a microSD slot which hopefully is SDXC.
Wish more Tabs would have full sized SD slot instead of micro, I'm sure most will have the room for it.

It is a little pricy tho.

Way to go Microsoft!! You killed my enthusiasm for the Surface tablet with just 4 characters... $499.

That is way over the price I was willing to pay to try your new commercially untested device. I'll pass.

It sucks too, because I was super excited about this device too... I mean probably way too excited honestly.

Ballmer needs to be fired. MS is trying to out-Apple Apple....about 3 years too late. No way they can compete head to head. They have to enter at a lower price point to even have a chance.

Unbelievable.

To me, it seems like MS thinks this is circa 2000; back when MS was a "hot" brand and people were lining up to buy their operating systems and even looking forward to their products.

I might be bit young to remember 2000 clearly, but I don't recall MS being a "hot" brand.

Also, yeah 499 way to much, priced at 299-399 I would have considered one.
At 499 I would rather bite the Ipad bullet.

Don't forget that it also has a microSD slot which hopefully is SDXC.
Wish more Tabs would have full sized SD slot instead of micro, I'm sure most will have the room for it.

It is a little pricy tho.

It also has a USB 2.0 port. Although on the Pro, it will be 3.0.

Had it been $399 without the cover keyboard thing, I'd be ordering one. 500 benji's is too rich for a niche device.

Ain't that the reason to have a niche device? Expensive enough that only few have them?

You're like heatless, except he actually talks some sense.

Because it's niche means it's okay to be expensive? Mmhmm... perhaps in a vacuum.

Tegra 3 is outdated by now. It can't compete with the ipad 2 much less the new ipad.

There are android tablets with A15 coming out soon, faster and probably cheaper than Surface.

I think AMD has an opportunity here with hondo tablet if the price is right.

Well, their entry model is in the sub-500 range. It is comparable to the entry level iPad, but with twice the memory (32 GB vs. 16 GB).
If the only differentiating aspect between iPad hardware and Surface RT hardware was memory capacity, then this would be an accurate statement.

You're like heatless, except he actually talks some sense.

Because it's niche means it's okay to be expensive? Mmhmm... perhaps in a vacuum.

Well, niche products usually are expensive as they cater to a small group of customers, not being able to take the advantages of mass production. It is either this or the product is so bad that only the few first customers (or fools) bought it.

Wasn't the entire point of Windows RT so that they could bring windows tablets down to a lower price point and actually begin to compete?

If these are $500+ then the real tablets (read: x86-64) are going to start at what, $1500+?

Let's be realistic. Android didn't get popular because it's a great OS, it got popular because it enabled a high level of functionality at a low price point. If Android was only ever released on $500+ devices, it would have been just as big of a failure as Windows_RT seemingly will be.

Back