Politician Warns FTC Against Suing Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
Somehow I think stuff like this will just add fuel to the fire the FTC is lighting under Google's butt. Then again, you never know, I could be wrong. ;)

"I believe that application of anti-trust against Google would be a woefully misguided step that would threaten the very integrity of our anti-trust system, and could ultimately lead to Congressional action resulting in a reduction in the ability of the FTC to enforce critical anti-trust protections in industries where markets are being distorted by monopolies or oligopolies," Polis wrote in a letter sent last week to FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz and obtained by The Hill on Monday.

Misguided indeed! What exactly is Google monopolizing illegally? Bing, MapQuest, Apple, all of the other companies who have services similar to Google have more than their fair shakes of revenue and exposures to the public. The FTC should pay less attention to corporations that are just very large and start paying attention to actual criminal organizations like ponzi schemers, big banks and tax dodgers and the likes.

Google is a business in business to do business. What's next? Baskin-Robbins having to display Ben & Jerry's signage?

Our anti-trust system is far too weak as it is, and should be applied to more "too big to fail" businesses.

The issue in the FTC's potential case is if google manipulates search results to put competitors at a disadvantage and push its own products. A neural search is the problem.

From another article, the EU is investigating similar complaints and:
Google is also being investigated by the attorneys general of six states: Texas, Ohio, New York, California, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

It's not like the FTC is on Pluto making up things. If you look up Rep Polis on maplight, you'll see he's one of the easier to buy congressmen. He'll vote your position on legislation for as little as $500. :p

"A neutral search is not the problem."

stupid autocorrect, and stupid me for forgetting to put in a word. :D

If you haven't seen or read Atlas Shrugged, you really should. The movie foretells of a time when businesses simply can't do business due to BS legislation. The search engine market is about as ideal as a market can get for competition. Citizens should file a FTC complaint against the FTC- for wasting our taxpayer dollars on this BS!

"A neutral search is not the problem."

stupid autocorrect, and stupid me for forgetting to put in a word. :D

I was like, whoa, we can search for things just by thinking it? I'm there!

Misguided indeed! What exactly is Google monopolizing illegally? Bing, MapQuest, Apple, all of the other companies who have services similar to Google have more than their fair shakes of revenue and exposures to the public. The FTC should pay less attention to corporations that are just very large and start paying attention to actual criminal organizations like ponzi schemers, big banks and tax dodgers and the likes.

There is an issue with this. That issue is that this makes sense.

It is the government...nothing they do can legally make sense. It all has to be things that make the everyman go, "What the FUCK are they thinking/doing?!".

Its how we roll. America...you can hate us or despise us...either way we win. Why do we win? Because we fucking said so.

Done.

Sounds retarded as all fuck for the government to get their panties in a twist because Google may give their own services higher ranking on a search... seriously? This would be like suing Sears because they showcase Craftsman tools way more than other brands.

I love it. People use Amazon to search for stuff to buy on Amazon. I think Polis deserves a Specious Argument Pulitzer.

I've always been one to say, Google should be able to do their search result as they wish. I also think Microsoft should be able to bundle their software as they wish.

It's their business, they should be able to promote themselves and their affiliates. The whole idea that you need to advocate for your rivals is retarded. You shouldn't be able to take them out, but you shouldn't have to promote them.

And I don't like Google doing promotion in it's search but it's their search engine.

Actually Anti-Trust exists to prevent a situation and is indifferent to whether someone did anything wrong or not to get into that situation.

Once upon a time, people appreciated that a monopoly was unhealthy for the overall marketplace. That's back when we respected both the supplier and consumer side of the marketplace.

Back