Yahoo’s Grand Homepage Redesign Leaks Out

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Screenshots of the new design of Yahoo homepage have leaked to the Internet and from the untrained eye, looks quite similar to the old design other being a bit leaner and a whole lot less purple. Barney would probably hate it. :D

It’s not a complete redesign, but it’s a start as Mayer proves to investors and users that she is capable of restoring Yahoo back to its former glory.

Looking at the "leaked photo" and the homepage now, it really doesn't look terribly different. Not exactly sure how redesigning a webpage shows how you bring your site back to "former glory"

It's the first visual change she's made so of course it's going to make press. It's going to take time to ween people off the current look to something cleaner. If people wanted a page as clean as Google, but wanted Yahoo they would be using search.yahoo.com anyways.

Looking at the "leaked photo" and the homepage now, it really doesn't look terribly different. Not exactly sure how redesigning a webpage shows how you bring your site back to "former glory"

Maybe they are going back to how it looked when it was more popular?

Most of Yahoos problems doesn't seem to be that it's particularily bad at anything, it's just other stuff has become better. Like Gmail replaced yahoo mail as Gmail had a load more space (most mail places would have 10mb or something for free, but Yahoo had 100+, then Gmail came along with 1gb or something and unlimited space.).

The thing that stood out most to me was the giant astrology section in the lower right. They must be asking their psychic for advice on how to get their company out of the toilet.

Sorry, no website overhaul is ever going to change the fact that Yahoo is the AOL of search engines.

I find it funny that I had to switch from Google and Bing to search for Yahoo in FF, no love, no love at all from those two....

"Whole lot less" purple? Except for "Yahoo!", some of the small logos for other Yahoo pages, and the color of the numbering for "Trending Now", I don't see any other purple in the homepage. It's mostly blue or white.

Disclaimer: I used to work for Yahoo!, but not for the front page. It seems like people are paying attention to things that are dynamic, so they probably didn't change (the list of properties on the left side, and (I think) the astrology module on the right side). The dynamic bar that follows you down the page is already there, too. Here's what I see going on here:

a) They shrunk the top bar down a lot; so they can just keep the same one, instead of showing you a different one when you scroll down.

b) Trending now moved to the left side, instead of being on the top of the contentish stuff at the right. This is nice because it fills in the left column (they also moved the about information from the bottom to the left column), and also it moves the big graphical ad up, which makes advertisers happier.

I think this is nice, but not earth shattering.

Back