HIS Radeon HD 7970 X Turbo Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
HIS Radeon HD 7970 X Turbo Video Card Review - HIS has launched its custom version of the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition complete with a massive factory overclock. Could this overclock, along with the IceQ X2 cooling system, make it the fastest single card on the market? We will compare it to the MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning and a reference AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition to find out!

Nice review. Got some great clock speeds out of it. Not near enought to justify the $600 price tag. Thats right around the range of 2 660 Ti's.

These OEMs really need to get their pricing in order. Another one that comes to mind is the Evga 680 HC Classified $800. Nothing sets it apart *performance wise* compared to a ref 4gb GTX 680. I guess thats more or less Nvidias fault for locking down voltage than Evgas.

nice review but holy crap HIS is smoking crack if they expect that card to sell at 600+ dollars. sure if it was an XFX or a gigabyte or ASUS i could maybe see enough people getting baited into buying it but its not. i suspect the price will probably drop within a couple weeks making it a much better buy.

$610 for a 7970 video card 10 months after launch? Sorry, but no.

the fastest single gpu is, from what i know, the Sapphire Toxic 7970 6GB

GHZ +50$ same card lol just silly! :p when there was a 7970 on sale with rebates for 300$ last week....

600$ would be two

just no ...

Why wasn't sleeping dogs tested for this review. the game was tested for the GTX 660 review but haven't seen it after that. would like to know whether 2560 x 1600 with High AA was playable on the overclocked HIS HD 7970 X Turbo running at 1245 Mhz.the problems with the card are a real turnoff for prospective buyers. if the card had not run into issues it would have been a good buy worth considering. sadly thats not the case. people who wnat a HD 7970 ghz are better off buying the sapphire HD 7970 ghz vapor-x and manually overclocking. costs less and works well with good cooling.

Last edited:
Obviously, the card's not worth $600+. Better connectivity and a healthy O/C... As you say, ~$500 would be reasonable. Although, personally, I still wouldn't pay it. HIS isn't exactly a brand that has enough Rep to command a premium, IMO. If I needed better connectivity I'd go for a Lightning or a DCII and O/C myself.

BTW, $610 is $30 more than the 680 Lightning @ $580AR, not $40. Either way, they are both lousy value.

BTW, you didn't strip it down to the bare PCB. Is there anything special about it's design that would command a premium price like a Lightning or DCII?

Last edited:
I've never considered HIS anything more than an untrusted, unknown, budget oriented, and last resort video card vendor. This review hasn't changed my mind, which I'm sure it wasn't intended too.

Nice review!

Any idea why this card is priced at $600+? I can't figure it out... it can't compete with the $100 more expensive 7970 Toxic from Sapphire (which, if you're wanting a hilariously overpriced graphics card, is the card to get), and there doesn't seem to be a reason, especially given the build quality issues you're pointing out, that it's so much more expensive than other custom 7970 and 7970 GHz edition cards.

The reviewed card is the turbo edition with clocks of 1120/1180; the card on newegg is the regular 7970 x with clocks of 1000/1050. You should revisit the links in the article or add a note to avoid misrepresentation.

Last edited:
It is a good review , i would say excellent even. But the idea is that you do get something which allows you to have "fun" on any system, catching the problems on these devices should come not as a warning during reviews but during alpha testing at HIS.

HIS for whatever reason really doesn't care about their product, they do care about the price. What is it with software and hardware manufacturers these days , release first patch later?

It is not a good sign this has worked it's way into the hardware side.

Sounds like you'd want to buy this card from someplace with a good return policy if at all. Nice review and heads up from [H] once again!

Back