Wii U Pre-Orders Fetching Up to $750 on eBay

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Thinking you always have to be the first with the newest and best (insert favorite electrical toy here)? If you are looking to pre-order a Wii U, officially you are out of luck, but there’s always the shark-infested waters of eBay to consider. Pre-Order speculators are selling their pre-orders for up to double the retail price.

Seeing as to how a lot of people are willing to spend this much on a Wii U console says that Nintendo still must be doing something right at least. The lone fact that the Wii U sold out is a sign that the Wii series still has momentum

Eh, no real different than those who sold their PS3 for outrageous profits if they were lucky enough to get one, or their Wii, or their X360, or whatever other gaming system they got. It's a quick turn around.

I am still too busy laughing at the name. Wii U.

Eh, no real different than those who sold their PS3 for outrageous profits if they were lucky enough to get one, or their Wii, or their X360, or whatever other gaming system they got. It's a quick turn around.

You have no memory of the PS3 launch do you? The PS3 was not sold out and the massive ownage from people who tried selling them for 1200 was the new internet sensation as far as owned pics went.

The only thing hot about the PS3 was the head the original model expelled out. I believe this was what got Ken relieved of duty at Sony. (Considering what the XBOX360 could do for far less money.)

Ok so you but a Wii on U, then what? The launch titles are almost all from other systems or more Nintendohit'sanotherfuckingMario/zeldaU game. From what i've seen it's a boatload of crap and meh.

there are always dumb people who will flush their money down the toilet.

fortunately, most people have the common sense to wait till the stores have stock. So what if you have to wait an extra month?

You have no memory of the PS3 launch do you? The PS3 was not sold out and the massive ownage from people who tried selling them for 1200 was the new internet sensation as far as owned pics went.

The only thing hot about the PS3 was the head the original model expelled out. I believe this was what got Ken relieved of duty at Sony. (Considering what the XBOX360 could do for far less money.)

Ken got kicked from Sony because he thought $599 was a reasonable price. I was at E3 when he announced it.

Actually I do remember the PS3 launch, and I remember they could not be found, at least locally. I remember a rumor of costco online having them, but they sold out within minutes of being available. While maybe not as rare as some people wanted, they were not quite as abundant as you seem to be making out

I can't remember a console I've been less excited for, I wouldn't pay retail for one, much less double.

Yeah, the Wii U is definitely underwhelming.

the jump from atari to nintendo to n64 to now was huge. But now, games seem like the same shit over again. I look at shooter games, and say 'meh, i've seen that before'.

wiiU is 'just another' console. It's launching with many non exclusives like asscreed3 and cod.

Is Nintendo really not going to bring out more inventory of systems before this launch?

Are we really looking at another repeat of the Wii launch where we have shortages until March-April of the next year? I hope not. Come on Nintendo. Kick its ass this time.

I believe that launch inventories are intentionally kept low by manufacturers now as a form of mandatory hype.

If "X-Product" sold out on the first day, then those headlines are all over in the news and people see them selling for five times the price on ebay giving it an artificial value even to those that wouldn't otherwise want one, and soon enough they start selling like hotcakes as "the thing to have".

Think about it, those tactics worked with idiotically useless and stupid things from beanie babies to cabbage patch dolls.

And what if Apple were to produce three times as many iPhone 5s as they did at launch. News would spread that iPhones are "stacking up on shelves" as if nobody wants them, even if they sold twice as many as they would have if they made a third as many.

Its stupid because half the population is below average intelligence.

I will get it because its the best social platform. By that i mean in-person party play. It promotes playing in the same room. Great for social gatherings.

Yeah, the Wii U is definitely underwhelming.

I'm sure there are going to be a few people with more money than cents, who will pay these crazy prices just to be one of the 1st to have a Wii-U. Howerver, I doubt there will be the wide spead shortages that plauged the original Wii for the first couple years. The base 8GB Wii-U is too expensive at $300 , when a ps3 is only $250, and a Xbox is as low as $200.

I predict a quick price crash, with alot of the speculators selling them on ebay quickly dropping the price when they don't sell.

Ken got kicked from Sony because he thought $599 was a reasonable price. I was at E3 when he announced it.

That was what the next sentenced implied. There should of been a sentence somewhere that said "and the 599.99" price tag before that but some how it got cut.

Actually I do remember the PS3 launch, and I remember they could not be found, at least locally. I remember a rumor of costco online having them, but they sold out within minutes of being available. While maybe not as rare as some people wanted, they were not quite as abundant as you seem to be making out

What city and state because the generalization that machine was sold out is news to me. I love reading up on the launch day craze and all but every articleI read was "there were plenty in stock." In fact, you had forums upon forums posting pictures of people with PS3 boxes next crudely marked signs that said "For Sale 1250(+)" from craiglist with "OWNED" super imposed on them.

I know for a fact that in the Miami, Florida area you could walk into any store and see them by the stacks on the floor. I only bought a launch day model to rub it in to some others who waited 3 days in line for that thing. Three damn days only to show up to Best Buy who had stacks of PS3 on the floor.

I bought the thing for that reason alone. That and I wanted to see what it felt like to have something on day one. It now sits under my TV as a blu-ray/PS2/netflix box (Fat 60 GB Model with hardware PS2) I believe I only kept it since Blu-ray players at the time cost about 100 less or so. (Oddly enough the first game I bought for it was God of War III.)

Back