Consumer Reports Calls iPhone 5 ‘the Best iPhone Yet’

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The iPhone 5 has won over another influential concern with the report from Consumer Reports lauding the new features of iPhone 5 as ‘world class’ and ‘the best iPhone ever’. Consumer Reports is an independent testing agency that accepts no outside funding, maintaining it’s ‘independence and impartiality’ relying solely on subscription revenue.

In particular, Consumer Reports praised the device’s “larger, 4-inch display,” its “thinner and lighter profile” and “4G LTE access” and said that Apple had added “a host of innovative features” to make the iPhone 5 a world-class smartphone.

Not too surprising. The iPhone 5 has been outstanding so far. I have absolutely no complaints.

They claim that the the latest iPhone is the best iPhone... seems like a given to me.
But what about the Galaxy S3?

They claim that the the latest iPhone is the best iPhone... seems like a given to me.
But what about the Galaxy S3?

From just about every speed and web rendering test/comparison I've seen, the iPhone smokes the S3 in every test. The place where the S3 tends to shine most of the time is the software features that come with it out of the box, where if you wanted them on iOS, you need 3rd party apps from the appstore, or a jailbroken phone.

They're both pretty badass phones IMHO. The only reason why I went iPhone 5 over the S3 is because I wanted to run both an LTE account (Verizon) and StraightTalk. A few people said that I could on the S3 too, but you has to flash the baseband (which can be risky)

I predict that the iPhone 6 will be better than iPhone 5.

So in other words it sucks less than all the other apple crap and still sucks balls only it does it less.

They're both pretty badass phones IMHO. The only reason why I went iPhone 5 over the S3 is because I wanted to run both an LTE account (Verizon) and StraightTalk. A few people said that I could on the S3 too, but you has to flash the baseband (which can be risky)

Unless you bought an unlocked iPhone 5, I have no idea how you're able to switch between those two networks. As far as I know there's no jailbreak or unlock for the iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with iOS6.

It might be the best iPhone, but it's only slightly better than the 4S. Not enough for anyone with a 4S to spend money on the 5 unless they're a cultist.

Consumer Report primary grading criteria is centered around "can old people use it."

Consumer Report primary grading criteria is centered around "can old people use it."

They must have added some other, even simpler qualifier because my mom is quite old and she cannot use it. The screen is just too small (she instead got a Galaxy Note and really enjoys it). Old people = bad vision or easily fatigued eyes. Tiny screen = eye fatigue.

That's like being called the smartest retard.

I'm just kidding. At least they made some improvements this time. The 4s was the exact same phone as the 4 except with Siri (was that an upgrade or downgrade?) and a little faster cpu. I remember they were selling little "S" stickers for $.99 so iPhone 4 people to upgrade their phones.

Unless you bought an unlocked iPhone 5, I have no idea how you're able to switch between those two networks. As far as I know there's no jailbreak or unlock for the iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with iOS6.

The iPhone 5 from Verizon comes out of the box with an unlocked slim slot, and works with any US GSM or HPSA/+ network.

apple :- always 2-3 technology behind, but have perfected that tech so works better than others.

others :- gets the newest tech out asap and takes time on upgreading

so if you look at the bottom line they all work the same, it depends on your needs.

Consumer Reports can take Tim Cook's cock out of their collective mouths now. I love how a company like Apple plays years worth of catch up with every major "release" for there smartphone and then they get titled with shit like this.

Its too bad as well I remember Consumer Reports was actually pretty neutral for the longest time.

It might be the best iPhone, but it's only slightly better than the 4S. Not enough for anyone with a 4S to spend money on the 5 unless they're a cultist.

It's a lot lighter, the screen is better, LTE, faster CPU, no fragile glass on the back side. I'd say it's a pretty good upgrade over the 4S.

"It's a lot lighter" is a really stupid reason. When was the last time you threw out your back carrying an iPhone?

They must have added some other, even simpler qualifier because my mom is quite old and she cannot use it. The screen is just too small (she instead got a Galaxy Note and really enjoys it). Old people = bad vision or easily fatigued eyes. Tiny screen = eye fatigue.
That was the reason I was recommending against my grandparents getting one.

I guess they dont know anything about the wifi issues and some of the other issues plagued with the iphone 5. I can personally speak to this I have 2 in the house and 1 has wifi connectivity problems and the other does not. I tried to get it replaced at the applestore underwarranty and they refused, since its a known issue and they're blaming on iOS6 and said we have to wait for an update that a replacement will not fix this issue. So whatever, I'm not impressed with the iPhone 5 and I've had every version iPhone there has ever been well ... except the 4S. Hopefully Apple will get it right and fix the issues with the wifi connectivity.

The 4s is my 3rd and last iPhone. I dont want a xbox sized screen, stupidass adapters, paint that falls off if it touched anything but cotton balls, and most of all the audio jack being moved to the bottom, I cannot think of a single scenario where that is better than having on the top and just does not work for me.

So yeah, it's faster, but inferior in every other way IMO.

‘the best iPhone ever’

That's a pretty much meaningless statement, considering how poorly Consumer Reports rated the iPhone 4s.

In the most recient issue, the SIII had the top rating for at&t, Sprint, and T-Mobile,
The Droid Razr Maxx was #1 on Verizon, with the SIII a close 2nd.

The iPhone 4s was rated 9th (out of 12) on at&t, and dead last on both Sprint and Verizon.

Apple may parcially caught up to the 3 to 6 month old Android phones, but they will fall even futher behind with the next batch that comes out. As for Consumer Reports, I'll wait until I see how they ranked it against other top tiered phones instead of the poorly rated iPhone 4s.

hasn't the Iphone 5 played catch up with almost every new feature it added, that many other phones have had for sometime now..... So how is that innovative?

Consumer reports is were I go to see which dishwasher to buy, or toaster, or microwave oven. Because I dont know shit about those things and dont want to spend a whole lot of time researching to see whats the best. With items like those, I just want something that works when I need it. But IF I felt the same way about a phone, I would most likely buy an iphone 5. Consumer Reports is geared toward that kind of niche. People who want to be told what they should buy so they dont have to worry about researching it themselves. Those people should buy an iPhone 5, so I have to agree with Consumer Reports on this one.

With electronics and tools of any sort I enjoy taking the time to see whats the best, the best for the dollar, and the best for the application I will be using it for. And spend a lot of time researching it. If I buy a new phone(ish) item soon it will most likely be a Galaxy Note 2.

Not surprising. Consumer repots was very critical of the 4 (mostly due to antenna issues, iirc). The 5 has been a massive improvement in both usability and quality.

I previously had a 4s, and even coming from a 4s I could tell an immediate difference in speed.

Apple did pretty damn good with this generation of iPhone.

But again, from all i read,perhaps i read biased articles... most things Apple added, numerous other phones have already had for months or longer! and yet again Apple is praised as this great innovative company and everyone copies them.. ?

But again, from all i read,perhaps i read biased articles... most things Apple added, numerous other phones have already had for months or longer!

Most of the stuff that apple has added (software wise) is nothing new for moblie phones. Theyre features that have been available via the appstore and cydia and other phones since atleast 08... Just more polished, refined and integrated into the OS. Im not sure whos claiming that theyve done anything innovative in that aspect aside from the typical android trolls or super zealous apple fans. Its more progressive than anything.

The hardware, on the other hand, is by far the best you can get in a mobile phone at the moment. Apple did a fantasic job with the A6 SOC. its raw performance is really nice

.. and here I thought it was built to be a worse iPhone. Another dumb article promoted on HardOCP.

I would fucking hope their newest phone is their best phone ever...

Wasn't too assed by it. Went to an S3 from my 4S and it's been a fairly good experience thus far. Granted the stock autocorrect is fucking retarded on this phone.

Back